GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 12:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WHY!!??  (Read 1240 times)
tizdaz
Trade Count: (0)

« on: May 29, 2014, 09:29 AM »

I live in UK, bought myself a new kite that took a while to find (Elliot Mirage XXL) in the end got it from a place in Holland!

Got the line sorted etc & ready to rock as they say! Smiley

....well apart from being NO WIND hardly for the past 10 days!

Any other time there's gale force winds in UK... But as soon i buy a kite the wind just dissapears!!!

why!? lol Sad
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2014, 09:48 AM »

That is always the case.
Get a SUL, get gale winds, get a storm kite, get sul winds.
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 10:46 AM »

You're in the wrong place! It's been blowing high teens over here in Lincolnshire today!  I just went out with the HQ  Delta Hawk stack adjusting the link lines which was fun.  I wouldn't take the Mirage out in too much wind first time - 10-12mph should be plenty -  it's going to pull like a truck!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 11:11 AM »

that is why you need to have a quiver of kites at the ready...........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 11:18 AM »

Been there, felt your pain.

Many times.  Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
etully
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 01:15 PM »

Wind up your line, pack up the kite, drive home...then there will be wind.
Jimmer
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 04:53 PM »

The real question is ...
WHY... Would anyone want only  1 (one) single Kite?  Grin Smiley
JayDee

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 01:32 AM »

Strange! I rarely have to go past the stage of winding up my lines.  Have long learned to withstand the temptation to unwind them and try again, though. Wink

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Frequent Fliers: Talon Std, UL and Vtd, Widow Maker Std and UL, Solus Std, Widow (modded), ATM SUL, Duende Std
Rarely flown: Exile UL, Zephyr, E2, Ozone, Micron, Quantum
Captainbob

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2014, 04:21 AM »

Strange! I rarely have to go past the stage of winding up my lines.  Have long learned to withstand the temptation to unwind them and try again, though. Wink

Sent from my GT-I9192 using Tapatalk

Every time I have unwound and tried to start again, it has been a total waste of time. I  head for the pub instead and have a good beer.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 04:43 AM »

hehe, thats why when I get a kite I make sure I have enough saved up to get the UL and Std counterparts at the same time. But actually. Thats part of it.  Cheesy Cheesy

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Captainbob

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2014, 05:15 AM »

Living in inland Atlanta, GA, no to low winds are the norm. The kite that is quickly racking up the largest percentage of my flying hours is my Niknak. It is rare day  when I can get my mid vent B series Rev in the air. 

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2014, 05:22 AM »

Beer is always good.

The best way to be successful when rolling out the lines again for a second try is to attach a different kite.

If you want to really confuse the winds, setup a SUL and vented at the same time then fly your Std.

Whatever you do, never flaunt that you have a set of kites for all conditions.  You'll end up with the longest coldest winter in recorded history...

Every time I have unwound and tried to start again, it has been a total waste of time. I  head for the pub instead and have a good beer.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:29 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 05:23 AM »

that is why you need to have a quiver of kites at the ready...........

Then it rains every day...

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2014, 07:16 AM »

Been there with the lack of wind...  Angry  And, I've done the unpack and unwind thinking the wind is sufficient... always to no avail.

Something I've noticed happens to me often.... In my flying, I'll get to a point where I need to put my stake down and go adjust or setup my kite and the wind will start blowing. Once I get back to my stake and grab my straps..... the wind goes away.

I wouldn't mention it if it hadn't happened more than 10 times. Going to the pub makes the hurt go away.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 07:27 AM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Captainbob

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2014, 07:30 AM »

Been there with the lack of wind...  Angry  And, I've done the unpack and unwind thinking the wind is sufficient... always to no avail.

Something I've noticed happens to me often.... In my flying, I'll get to a point where I need to put my stake down and go adjust or setup my kite and the wind will start blowing. Once I get back to my stake and grab my straps..... the winds goes away.

I wouldn't mention it if it hadn't happened more than 10 times. Going to the pub makes the hurt go away.  Cheesy

Ten times..... Shocked  For me it's 100's of times and I have only been flying a few months. What really ticks me off , is when I set up my kite for launch, making sure if it is a dualie that it is really angled back.  I walk to the handles, turn around, and the kite has blown over and is laying nose down pointed towards me, since the wind had shifted 180 degrees during my walk.  Huh  That happens a couple of times, and it's pack up time for me......

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum