GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 05:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Over my dead body....  (Read 6490 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 03:57 AM »

Nothing really  Lips sealed ... with kite designs always changing we always need to trade in old school for new school. You would be foolish ... otherwise ...  Currently I been wondering how much better the Talon or Nirvanna SE is compared to the Sea Devil or Fearless kite line? The key words here is HOW MUCH ...  Cool

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 06:07 AM »

Mambas (ul/std/v2), Exile UL, Tramontana 2000, Firebird, Muses (lt/std).

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 06:46 AM »

My custom white and purple Radian. And, my well worn, used and abused Quantum.
The pink Qpro SUL was bought for my daughter.  Hopefully in ten-fifteen years she will appreciate it for it represents.
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 06:54 AM »

with kite designs always changing we always need to trade in old school for new school.
No, we really don't.

You would be foolish ... otherwise ...
No, we really wouldn't.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 08:11 AM »

Fearless - it even opens doors for you.

6 kite tom
fworley
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 08:12 AM »

.... Vendetta (std)
You really need to try the Vendetta UL !

-Frazer
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 09:08 AM »

I hear you Ron G ... the other side of the coin scenario ... unless one collects kites or does not compete or ... Huh As in my other sport GOLF ... equipment is KEY ... I still play with people with 10-15 year old clubs (stainless steel) ... TITANIUM! Better control, distance, accuracy ... kiting is no different ... playing golf is like flying a stunt kite. The answer to why sport kiting is not that popular today actually lies in this sporting analogy.

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
RonG
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 09:36 AM »

I still play with people with 10-15 year old clubs (stainless steel) ... TITANIUM! Better control, distance, accuracy ... kiting is no different ... playing golf is like flying a stunt kite. The answer to why sport kiting is not that popular today actually lies in this sporting analogy.

You think someone on the PGA tour couldn't beat you with old, rusty clubs, and one hand tied behind their back?

Anyone who thinks the latest new shiny is the secret to better flying and victory in competition is living in a fantasy world.  Buy new kites because you like to buy them, not because you think it's going to give you some incredible edge.  It isn't.  Yeah, designs change and make it easier to do certain things (and harder to others - don't forget that part of the equation), but not so much as you seem to think.  Been there, done that.
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 09:56 AM »

Two corrections - remove the word "INCREDIBLE" - and factor in the term " IN MY FLYING CLASS." Now we are on the same page. I hope?  Wink

fworley
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2009, 10:07 AM »

Anyone who thinks the latest new shiny is the secret to better flying and victory in competition is living in a fantasy world ...
What sort of blasphemy is this ?  Huh

Who are you kidding Mister Graziano ...

Everybody knows the way to improved performance/results is to spend some dough on new kites.

Can't axel ... you need a Silver Fox ... can't comete ... you need a Deep Space ... can't Taz ... you need a Cosmic TC ... can't open the backdoor ... you need a Fearless.

Duh !

-Frazer

« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:11 AM by fworley » Logged
RonG
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 10:20 AM »

Two corrections - remove the word "INCREDIBLE" - and factor in the term " IN MY FLYING CLASS." Now we are on the same page. I hope?  Wink

Probably not  Sad  As I said, buy new kites because you like to have new kites, and because it keeps people like our host in business Smiley  Don't expect them to give you a discernible edge on the competition field, even within your own class.  In my experience that might only play a (small) role when you've got titans vs. titans (no one on the US competition circuit, to be sure).

In fact I and some other experienced competitors have argued many times that running out and buying the latest kite on a regular basis is the poor way to become a better competition flier, where consistency is paramount.  The vast majority are better off picking a set of good kites, learning them inside and out, and sticking with them for a good long time.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 10:22 AM by RonG » Logged
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 10:43 AM »

I agree 100%. There is RISK going to a new kite as each kite has certain likes/dislikes and the learning curve for trick combo's etc. has to start all over again ... slowly in some cases. I feel I am totally tuning into the SD's and my comment previously that how much better would a Talon or Nirvanna SE be as compared to the SD or Fearless for that matter is based on this principle. To me the difference would have to be SIGNIFICANT for a  change to occur at this point. Going from kite to kite even on a year to year basis would be DIFFICULT ... I can see that ... there is no fast lane ... that's for sure ... but experimenting on the side Ron is recommended realizing each kite transition could take a year or longer depending on one's skills and free time ... that's what Pro Shops in Golf are all about  Cheesy ... too experiment. I guess in this sport the Pro Shop is comps and festivals.

kitekrazy
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2009, 10:49 AM »

Nothing really  Lips sealed ... with kite designs always changing we always need to trade in old school for new school. You would be foolish ... otherwise ... 

changing doesn't=better

A lot of designs sell you on ease of tricking ability.  Also it's marketing ploy.

People are always into "new" so you have to appear you created something new like the E3.

My trophies have been from those classic kites that are not made anymore. I wouldn't hesitate to get those back out in a competition situation.

Only Rev has made subtle changes to their kites. Major changes are a new model.
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2009, 11:00 AM »

To a degree KK - I immediately clicked with the SD's from the Q-Pro's so the transition for me was easy. With time ... improvements are of course made. This was why continually experimenting on the side in my mind is recommended. I would hate to use the word mandatory. Who would not want to try the new Nirvanna SE ... I said try ... not buy ...

tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2009, 12:12 PM »

With time ... improvements are of course made. This was why continually experimenting on the side in my mind is recommended. I would hate to use the word mandatory. Who would not want to try the new Nirvanna SE ... I said try ... not buy ...

Improvements is tough to define - it depends on what you want to do with the kite.

There is no one kite that would appeal to all styles and tastes that could ever objectively be called "best".  There are a bunch of kites that can subjectively be called best - we do it all the time and I'm sure its true for each individual (at that time).  To each his own - I have a good friend who flys the DS all the time.  I appreciate the kites abilities and style, but its not for me - just personal taste really.

One thing is for sure - the kite will not fly itself.  None of them know how to do a jacobs ladder on their own - some just make it easier than others.

6 kite tom
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum