GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 08:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where could I buy a Thor's Hammer stunt/power kite?  (Read 596 times)
IFlyKites
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 02, 2014, 02:29 PM »

Hey everyone,

I'm wondering where I could get a Thor's Hammer from? Does anyone know any sites that carry it that can ship to Canada? Also, maybe somebody could suggest a better alternative? I want specifically a stunt kite that has enough power to pull me around a bit. Nothing too serious. My limit is $500 USD. I have looked at the Mirage XL. Many have said it isn't a good kite as it always requires readjustments after every flight. What do you think? And if you could link me to a good site that has stunt kites similar to it that would be great. (need ones that ship to Canada).

Cheers, Mike
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 02:37 PM by IFlyKites » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 03:50 PM »

Thors hammer? Probably this forum's swap meet would be the best place..... They pop up sometimes and generally do not last long.....

If you search the forum for the mirage you will find some threads from a new member just like you..... Looking to get a big sport kite.... And he found one.....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Hadge

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:42 AM »

I want specifically a stunt kite that has enough power to pull me around a bit. Nothing too serious.

What exactly did you want to do with the kite? Did you want something that can do a few tricks with a good pull or something that will just fly patterns?

I've heard of people doing an Axel with Thors Hammer, but it's not a trick kite, however it can certainly pull! probably drag you all around the field - as far as hard pulling Delta kites go they don't get much more serious.

Thors Hammer would be an 'interesting' addition to a kite flier bag for those odd days, but I wouldn't want it as my only kite as, like most of these mega kites, it's a bit limited in what it does.

This guy is flying Thors Hammer.

http://youtu.be/cSjFed_1Q0

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 08:50 PM »

Have to differ a little.  The Thor's Hammer can trick quite well....considering its size.  It can 540, axle, jacobs ladder, fade....bout the only thing I haven't seen mine do is a roll-up, but then again it doesn't have any tail weight. LOL

I agree that it is not a Nirvana or Widow Maker, but in can perform some pretty good tricks and looks pretty good doing it.  Just make sure you have a lot of running room, it needs a ton and a half of slack.

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2014, 09:57 PM »

The 'Hammer is by far the trickiest big kite I've flown or heard of. I enjoyed mine a lot and it would do all the tricks I asked it to do. Didn't try rolling it up but I'm sure it would. Very pitchy. It's a big trick kite more than a power kite. Certainly will pull hard due to its size, but not as hard as other kites with similar wingspans designed for power. I bought and sold mine here and have seen two others, all in the last two years or so, so they do turn up. Just have to be patient.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 01:10 AM »

eerrrrmmm.....I'm afraid I'll have to take my cap in hand and withdraw my earlier statement about the trick abilities of Thors hammer Embarrassed Embarrassed

Most of the giant kite videos I'd seen before including those of Thors Hammer generally show the kites just doing very basic turns and circles while dragging some unfortuate soul accross a field - HOWEVER - after a bit of youtube searching yesterday I did find a couple of videos of the T H doing some very acceptable trick flying so I appear to have made a somewhat inaccurate sweeping generalisation there...whoops Embarrassed

.....exits somewhat embarrassed stage right.............

( but I still wouldn't have one as my only kite).

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
coop
Trade Count: (+25)

Re:
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2014, 12:21 PM »

There was a hammer for sale here, I tried to buy it but could never get info on sending payment. It's still in the swap meet I think.

Coop
IFlyKites

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2014, 02:51 PM »

Thanks everyone for the replies! What are your thoughts on the Mirage XL? Is it any good for a pulling kite? And that could do a few tricks?

Cheers, Mike
tizdaz

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 01:20 PM »

I have literally just got my hands on a new Mirage XXL (3.7m Span) Smiley

not had chance to fly her yet but its very good quality, i also bought some Climax Protec (60m - 190ft) form kites4u along with a 75ft tube tail Smiley

I was in same situation as you, as i wanted a large stunt kite for the power more than stunts & after looking up on the Mirage & reading up on it & watching vids etc..it seems a good choice.

Problem is it took me a while to source the XXL as they're no longer made, in the end i got it from a place in Holland.

Smiley
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 01:29 PM by tizdaz » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum