GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 11:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 32 bit vs. 64 bit  (Read 4221 times)
rxburner
Trade Count: (0)
« on: March 08, 2009, 02:03 PM »

What am I getting into if I buy a new computer with a 64-bit version of windows?
Will all my old software be obsolete or can I still load it on the new computer?
What about peripherals?
Rx
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2009, 07:06 PM »

Good question. I'm watching for answers too.
 My pers. experience of a Vista 64bit OS has been better than ok. Yeah some programs will not work on a  64bit rigg. I did 64bit for gaming and "more computing power/speed" when i'm snurfing, backing-up movies, whatnot at the same time. If you have all the new gear(quad/core CPU 4 or more gigs of RAM) i say do  it. If you cant live without ur old programs do a dual boot OS. Partition a good size hard drive and run XP pro on C and Vista on the other partition. At first i had issues with new software updates for vid cards and stuff but most companies worked the bugs out quick. Now i gotta say i like it. 8gigs of RAM a RAID 0  array, Quad/core CPU works fine for me. I got BSOD's the first coupla months Vista came out , but has been very very stable since.

Only consistent issue against 64bit is some wireless routers are still XP only wizard/set up
Admin
Administrator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 07:31 PM »

Can't speak to your software but have had no issues running 32 bit programs on 64 bit systems.  I'd recommend the 64 bit machines.  The real question (if you are a windows user) is should you wait for Windows 7.

Forum Admin
"It's good to be king"
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 02:09 AM »

We still run XP and had enough issues with XP64 that we gave it up and went back to 32bit. No huge showstoppers taken individually, all the kind of thing you'd live with at home but these people aren't earning when they're not working so they don't want any inconvenience.
Make sure you can get drivers for all you peripherals and Google to see if any of your must have apps have issues with 64bit OS's. We found a few 32bit apps that didn't work properly but generally most mainstream stuff will work fine.

50flyer
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 02:59 AM »

I don't know computer lingo.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2009, 10:28 AM »

updated drivers solved most of the customers i serviced. Only had one that tried to use 64 bit on hardware they hadnt updated the drivers for. 32 vs 64, i have read reviews both way on speed, as the new hardware comes out it seems to lend itself better to the 64 bit, alot depends on what you do with it.
Vista, we had so many issues with it unless its all new hardware i have told people to stay on xp and wait to see what 7 has to offer. We downloaded a beta but havent had the time to monkey with it yet.

Sine Metu!
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 01:08 PM »

Try here...

http://tinyurl.com/cb87mm

Unless for some reason you need more than 4gb memory or some 64-bit software to run on it, i'd avoid it. I certainly dont like the way 64 bit lays down the OS files on my servers.

the hit in google from "tech-recipes" sums it up well, for me.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:15 PM by Dano » Logged
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 01:23 PM »

The only issue you should have is drivers.  Vista 64 requires that every (yup, every!!!) driver be digitally signed before it will allow it to be installed.  If you are using any items such as plotters, cutters, or other unique devices outside of your PC then you will want to check to make sure the software has a 64 Vista driver or it will not work.  You can NOT use a 32 bit (non digitally signed) driver on the 64 bit version.  Another requirement is that you must have a minimum of 4 gig memory.

If all of that is ok then the 64 bit version does rock as far as speed goes.  Way faster than anything I have ever used.

Hope that helps.

SleazyLou
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2009, 05:26 PM »

IMO...

If you're getting a above average spec PC get a 64 bit OS.

It doesn't require 4GB of RAM but it does let you address 4GB (and above). 32bit Maximum is 3 and a bit GB

However - wait for Windows 7.  It runs much much better than Vista did on my T61p Laptop.  I've had very little problem with incompatible hardware or software.  And if it's a software problem just run XP in a virtual machine.
rxburner
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 12:10 PM »

Thanks... that helps...
Any word on when "7" is coming out?
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 12:34 PM »

October or November.  Can't imagine they'd miss Christmas again.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 03:05 PM »

Go for a Mac - all  64 bit for some time now.  I recently switched over from a PC and it couldn't have been easier - no issues at all.  In fact, there is no way I would ever go back to  a PC at this point.    Much faster, more stable, easier to use, no comparison really.

If you need to, you can download virtualBox (or buy one of several other programs that provide a PC environment on your Mac) and run any PC programs that you may still want to (but I have not needed to do so).  That, or just use bootcamp and restart to run some Windows-only stuff.

6 kite tom
Jeff

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 06:13 PM »

October or November.  Can't imagine they'd miss Christmas again.
I've heard some rumors that it will be even earlier to capture back to school buyers.

and
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 06:31 PM »

I've heard some rumors that it will be even earlier to capture back to school buyers.
That would certainly make sense.  Releasing Vista early in the year was a mistake (there are those that argue releasing Vista at all was a mistake).  My son is buying a computer soon and he's hoping that my old office machine he's using will hold out until at least the official announcement is made.  Once it is announced they usually include free a upgrade to the new OS.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
browndude3649
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 06:33 PM »

Oh noes another rushed OS- AY CARUMBA!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document