GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 05:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TOTL Northshore Kona Reframe  (Read 1578 times)
David Kirk
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 03, 2014, 05:49 PM »

I discovered a long forgotten North Shore Kona sail while going through my kite stuff. It appears to be unflown. I already have a very lightly framed Kona as well as a Radical and a VIP, so I want to build this one for moderate wind, meaning too much for the UL and not enough for the Radical.

I'm thinking Skyshark P200 leading edges and top spreader, P300 spine and I'd like to use Avia G-Force standard spreaders that I seem to have stocked up on for some forgotten reason. 

What do you think?

The sail looks like this one. It's 1/2 ounce nylon.

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:07 PM by David Kirk » Logged
David Kirk

« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, 09:34 AM »

You guys aren't very helpful! The parts should be delivered today. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 09:52 AM »

Looking forward to the results.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 10:04 AM »

David,

You are probably the only one on the Forum who has a Kona

and thought of doing a reframe.

No one can help because no one has done this.

You are in new territory sir.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
David Kirk

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 10:20 AM »

I am not the first:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=10390.0
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 11:00 AM »

David, sorry I didn't see this sooner!

Not that I can help much...

I've never fiddle with an NSR. The one thing that springs to mind from re-framing a number of early '90s straight LE precision kites is that sometimes a frame can be too stiff. I put all P300s in a Chicago Fire Bee and it was never any good, P200s were great. It was all about the flex, especially the spreaders. In that case punch turns just never got punchy. the kite felt dead.

You may find the super stiff GForce spreaders overkill. P300 spreaders might be better, or even P200. Keep in mind how much stiffer even a P200 is compared to what was original used in these kites.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 11:11 AM »

Never did get a change to fly the Kona here in Las Vegas  Cry  Missed our flying nights with school work.  Embarrassed

I reframed my Hawaiian with P300s and love it.

Flew Gamelords NSR with stiff rev rods.  Very very nice.

Currently reframing my NSR with nitro rods. No added weight from the exsting .240 carbon rods.  Enjoy the stiffer frame the Nitro gives on my WM and Mongoose. So I hope it turns out well for standard winds and increase the upper end. 

What are you reframing the Kona in?

David Kirk

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 11:36 AM »

Never did get a change to fly the Kona here in Las Vegas  Cry  Missed our flying nights with school work.  Embarrassed

I reframed my Hawaiian with P300s and love it.

Flew Gamelords NSR with stiff rev rods.  Very very nice.

Currently reframing my NSR with nitro rods. No added weight from the exsting .240 carbon rods.  Enjoy the stiffer frame the Nitro gives on my WM and Mongoose. So I hope it turns out well for standard winds and increase the upper end. 

What are you reframing the Kona in?

To quote myself:

I'm thinking Skyshark P200 leading edges and top spreader, P300 spine and I'd like to use Avia G-Force standard spreaders that I seem to have stocked up on for some forgotten reason. 

sews a lot
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 10:48 PM »

During the 1992 competition season The Flight Squadron (TOTL) flew NSR's and had a kite that fit in the wind slot you are thinking of building for.  We had SUL, UL, Extreme, Standard, & VIP and could fly in any wind.  All of theses kites were framed in Easton.  The SUL & UL had wrapped carbon with an OD close to 3-30 A/C tubes (.260) and weighed about 6gm. & 10gm.  We called them 1wrap & 2wrap
but this was just a nickname. The spine was the next stiffest tube. These tubes performed great but if you even looked at the 1 wraps wrong they would break.
Next was the Extreme which were 1/2oz. red white and blue kites. These were framed in an odd A/C tube with a smaller diameter
and weighed about 13gm.  It was our favorite kite. 
An NSR framed with P 200 LE & P300 spine should fly very similar to the Extreme.  I have no experience with the spreader tube you are using but as long as the spine is the stiffest tube in the frame you are going to be a happy camper (flier).  It is a coincidence that I just
received some SkyShark  P2X (LE/Spreaders) & P300 (spine) to reframe one of the old RWB sails.  The SkyShark tubes are the
best I have ever used.  Curious as to how you like it.
Mike

David Kirk

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 07:45 AM »

I'm concerned that the P200's won't be stiff enough for those straight (Slightly concave with the shorter spreader used for precision.) leading edges. Emmalee tends to punch hard for precision turns. I think that's the result of the tutoring that Brian Champie gave her. She dislikes the UL Kona because it's "too bendy".

I wish I had ordered the stiffer P2X rods.

The bridles I use on these are based on the dihedral active bridle that Andy Wardley made for the Benson Phantom Elite.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:53 AM by David Kirk » Logged
David Kirk

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2014, 02:10 PM »

I flew the kite today in gusty, bumpy wind at the local school yard. Precision is good, but I don't care much about that since it's only important if you are competing. It tends to begin to fall out of the sky before axels go all the way around. I think the problem is momentum because the LE's are too light. I'm going to try adding weight at the LE connectors before I spend any money on rods. I'm also rethinking the bridle. There's no reason for such widely spaced tow points if precision isn't important. As it is, huge hand movements are required.

In case you haven't figured it out, I love tinkering with kites.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2014, 04:24 PM »

Well, i hope you do realize that the kite was NOT designed to do any tricks. Since it is older then about all tricks. It is a precision machine, nothing more nothing less.
David Kirk

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 05:27 PM »

That's not quite true, but it's limited to old school flat spin tricks. My daughter was doing axels with her NSR the first time she flew it and she was only 13. It will do slow 540's, but it loses a lot of altitude. It's very good at side slides. I've never been able to snap stall it the way she can. We've been flying the NSR for 12 years now, so we're familiar with its strong points and its limitations.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 05:36 PM by David Kirk » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum