GWTW Forum
January 29, 2015, 06:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: One of these days ...  (Read 505 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: January 11, 2015, 03:58 PM »

One of these days I'm going to build a flawless kite ....but apparently ...not today!  Embarrassed Not with my first two Organic 105s!

I thought I'd share my latest kite builds ...even though I ...ONCE AGAIN committed my 'Achilles Heel' ...which is never getting the US rub patch onto the sail at the right spot! This time I missed by a mile ...almost completely!  Cry I even went to extra trouble on the one kite ... by saving it until the other was framed before sewing it on...and must had a major brain freeze. I was a little tired when I made my decision but I know that's a pathetic excuse!

I will be adding another US rub patch over top of the misplaced one and post the results later! I also still need to make the bridles for both!

I'm more concerned that they will be just as much as a joy to fly as the original ones I made! Why am I calling it an Organic 105? I increased the size by 105% ...actually by 104.5% because I wanted to make it a little larger than the original ...without changing ...hopefully ...it's amazing flight characteristics! I'll know if  succeeded next weekend down in TISKC! Hope some of you can join in and try it out for yourself if you care to.

sadsack
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 04:23 PM »

Let me tell you a story, I builded boat for many years, as a hobby. I did sell every one, but I made them for me. I all way wanted to build a perfect boat. I never did, every boat I build, their was some thing wrong or not right. AS the people was telling me how great they looked all I could see was my mistakes. I hope you can make a  perfect kite.   

Whats that in the sky?Huh
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 04:46 PM »

Your mistakes will fly well. And while you see each imperfection

from the creator's point of view, you must also look at the finished

kite as a parent looks at each child, perfect in their uniqueness.  Smiley

P.S. The Red Yellow reminds me of something wonderful. Well done.

https://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej/2006Kites#5431195411035337938

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Tim P.
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 05:10 PM »

And while you see each imperfection

from the creator's point of view, you must also look at the finished

kite as a parent looks at each child, perfect in their uniqueness.  Smiley

Oh, I like that John, well said!  Grin

Bill, each time you do something you'll learn a little something more. The kites look great! BTW, I see we have similar interests, kites, cars and 1911s!!
photogbill

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 06:48 PM »

Thanks John! As usual, you do your best to make someone feel good! Thanks to Tim as well! We're not all that far from each other & I travel down your way for work on occasion. We'll have to plan on a meet n greet to talk cars, guns, and kites!  Grin

Well I made the repair and it's not exactly hideous. I can live with it. It'll probably look better & less noticable at a distance looking at the entire kite but no daylight for that right now!

Krijn

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 11:45 PM »

i always sew the upperspreaderpatch on after framing the kite!

i learned that it is almost always not on the exact right spot on the plans

in the past i used velcro-tape, works also great (no sewing!), but not if you fly much over sand

Krijn
stapp59
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 03:49 AM »

There's always something. Have never built a perfect kite. Strive for perfection but settle for the very good.  Each kite has a 'birthmark' somewhere. Maybe after the first thousand or so  Cheesy

I'm with Krijn and apply a piece of Moonie tape for the rub patch after framing.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 05:06 AM »

Nice job, Bill! The panels turned out very nice and the sewing looks good too!

Bob D.
photogbill

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 09:59 AM »

i always sew the upperspreaderpatch on after framing the kite!

i learned that it is almost always not on the exact right spot on the plans
in the past i used velcro-tape, works also great (no sewing!), but not if you fly much over sand

Krijn

As for the rub patch not being at the right spot on plans, I've found the same on previous builds but this time I have no-one to blame but myself. If I had put it exactly where it appeared vsa. the 105% enlarged plans, it would have been nearly perfect the first time.
I've seen the velcro-tape rub patch before now that you mention it. Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately, I fly mostly at the beach.

There's always something. Have never built a perfect kite. Strive for perfection but settle for the very good.  Each kite has a 'birthmark' somewhere. Maybe after the first thousand or so  Cheesy

I'm with Krijn and apply a piece of Moonie tape for the rub patch after framing.

I like the 'birthmark' analogy!  Wink Also nice to know I'm not alone with the dilemma. Thanks Steve.
AS for the Moonie Tape ....do you apply it on top of a sewn on rub patch or all by itself on the sail? I was adding a piece of Moonie Tape over the diamond shape patch before sewoing on some previous builds but I'm kinda glad I didn't go that route this time. It would have made my error stand out even more.

Nice job, Bill! The panels turned out very nice and the sewing looks good too!

Thanks Bob! AS Steve mentioned in another thread, having a good sewing machine is important & can make all the difference. Although I went with a less expensive brand, I did some research and my Brother CS 6000i is a great machine for the bucks! It feeds nicely & handles the thicker nose, rub patch, & TE stand-off patch nicely!  It also comes with a small add-on plastic sewing table which has also made sewing a little easier in guiding the material.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 11:13 AM »

From McMaster-Carr this tape works well for rub patches:

Wear-Resistant Slippery UHMW Tape, 1" Width, .007" Thickness

Cut a 2" length and round both ends by cutting around a large washer.  The tape is applied directly to the sail center seam centered under the upper spreader.  The most important thing is to keep the upper spreader from rubbing on and through the sail fabric.  Tape can be replaced but I have not seen it wear out yet as I think it holds up better than Dacron and does not require sewing.  Some builders also put tape on the backside of the sail but I have not found this necessary.

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
photogbill

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 12:05 PM »

From McMaster-Carr this tape works well for rub patches:

Wear-Resistant Slippery UHMW Tape, 1" Width, .007" Thickness

Cut a 2" length and round both ends by cutting around a large washer.  The tape is applied directly to the sail center seam centered under the upper spreader.  The most important thing is to keep the upper spreader from rubbing on and through the sail fabric.  Tape can be replaced but I have not seen it wear out yet as I think it holds up better than Dacron and does not require sewing.  Some builders also put tape on the backside of the sail but I have not found this necessary.

Thanks for the info and tip Steve! I think I still have a small portion of a strip of it I purchase years ago! Next build ....I'll have to use it again!
photogbill

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 05:01 PM »

Just back from Treasure Island and first time flights with both kites. They flew spectacularly ...both, IMO. Since the UL was for a friend, I'll be making another one for myself. .. NO question about it.  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum