i always sew the upperspreaderpatch on after framing the kite!
i learned that it is almost always not on the exact right spot on the plans
in the past i used velcro-tape, works also great (no sewing!), but not if you fly much over sand
As for the rub patch not being at the right spot on plans, I've found the same on previous builds but this time I have no-one to blame but myself. If I had put it exactly where it appeared vsa. the 105% enlarged plans, it would have been nearly perfect the first time.
I've seen the velcro-tape rub patch before now that you mention it. Thanks for the reminder. Unfortunately, I fly mostly at the beach.
There's always something. Have never built a perfect kite. Strive for perfection but settle for the very good. Each kite has a 'birthmark' somewhere. Maybe after the first thousand or so
I'm with Krijn and apply a piece of Moonie tape for the rub patch after framing.
I like the 'birthmark' analogy!
Also nice to know I'm not alone with the dilemma. Thanks Steve.
AS for the Moonie Tape ....do you apply it on top of a sewn on rub patch or all by itself on the sail? I was adding a piece of Moonie Tape over the diamond shape patch before sewoing on some previous builds but I'm kinda glad I didn't go that route this time. It would have made my error stand out even more.
Nice job, Bill! The panels turned out very nice and the sewing looks good too!
Thanks Bob! AS Steve mentioned in another thread, having a good sewing machine is important & can make all the difference. Although I went with a less expensive brand, I did some research and my Brother CS 6000i is a great machine for the bucks! It feeds nicely & handles the thicker nose, rub patch, & TE stand-off patch nicely! It also comes with a small add-on plastic sewing table which has also made sewing a little easier in guiding the material.