GWTW Forum
March 27, 2015, 01:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 'New' Organic SUL - ... Almost Done!  (Read 828 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: January 31, 2015, 06:42 PM »

I started building a new Organic UL for myself this time! The UL of the previous pair I built went to a friend & the Std. stayed with me! I wanted to change the sail colors a bit ...just to make it different from the previous build. It should be a stunner, IMO. I wasn't sure I was thrilled with the color combo but it's growing on me the more I see it.

Here's a 'Photoshop' produced rendition of what it should look close to, when I'm finished building it (the kite is far from being done at the moment):

And ...Here's my current progress. The panels for the other side are all cut except for 2. No taping yet. We're in a busy season at work & I'm traveling a lot so it'll be a little while before it's finished.

Oh yeah ....and I promise to get that upper spreader right on this build!  Cheesy Or ...at least closer to where it's supposed to be!  Wink
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 03:54 PM by photogbill » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 08:30 PM »

I love the warm color combos. Nice Photoshop job there.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Krijn

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:29 PM »

you forgot to photoshop the upperspreaderpatch  Wink

looking great!
photogbill

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 07:27 AM »

I love the warm color combos. Nice Photoshop job there.

Thanks. I like them too John. It'll definately stand out from the rest of my kites ....hopefully it'll look good against a blue sky in flight. I think it will.
I was able to use the 'hue', 'saturation', 'vibrance', etc. controls in combinations on a previous 'real' kite photo, which ended up looking like real PC31 in my planned color combination. It helped in visualizing & making the color decision a little easier than using just a solid color fill in the panel areas.

you forgot to photoshop the upperspreaderpatch  Wink

looking great!

As long as  don't "forget" to place the US rub patch in the right place on the finished kite ....I'll be happy! ....LOL
Thanks!
photogbill

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 01:16 PM »

Sorry to say I haven't made any progress on this kite since my last post due to a busy work schedule and other events ...but I did get some input from a friend that wasn't crazy about the color combo & suggested I replace the gold center panels with white.

I was about to work on cutting out some replacement panels in white but thought I'd try to 'create' that color change in Photoshop first to see what it might look like ...and to get a few other opinions on the optional color combo!

Since I haven't progressed to the point of no return yet ...I'd appreciate your opinion on whether I should stick with the original color combo or go with my friend's suggested change! Which one do you like the looks of better ...remembering these are Photoshop edited samples of what the finished kites would look like. (minus the rub patch mis-placement Wink )

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 01:48 PM »

Well, this is easy.

Standard sail for the top.

UL sail for the bottom.

Smiley

photogbill

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 07:09 PM »

Well, this is easy.

Standard sail for the top.

UL sail for the bottom.

Smiley

Means more work than I was intending at the moment ....but I kinda like that idea John! Thanks!  Angry
photogbill

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2015, 04:02 PM »

OK ...I finally got around to finishing ....almost ....my new Organic 105 ...ended up making it an SUL! I used P90 ULEs, P100 LLEs, P1X Spine, & 3PT lower spreaders due to not having any 2PTs on hand! I may decide to stay with the 3PTs, depending on how it flies. I still have to make a bridle for it & do a few finishing touches like yo-yo stoppers but it's almost ready to fly!

I have to admit that I'm very satisfied with the final look, thanks to a friends new panel layout advise!

chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2015, 07:37 PM »

Sweetness.  Huh

photogbill

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 12:41 AM »

Thanks John!

Now completely finished ...and flown! It's a keeper!  Wink

IMG_1354_web

Complete with 'Sky Claws'!

IMG_1345_web
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2015, 02:55 AM »

The organic panel always reminds me of a baboon face. Wink
DavidformerlyDavid
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2015, 07:33 AM »

Nice kite!  I liked both panel layouts.  I'm not afraid of too much color in the sky.  It looks like it turned out very nice.  Is that a French kite design?
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2015, 08:45 AM »

Belgian kite designer and pilot: Christian Derefat.
Most of his designs are open source plans:
Le Karma
Le Neutron
Le Virus
Le Quartz
L'Organic
Vortex
Monster

All very capable trickers and a lot of fun to fly.
Here are some of the plans: LINK.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 08:47 AM by Kareloh » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

Smooth Winds
Smooth Winds

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum