GWTW Forum
January 31, 2015, 09:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster finished  (Read 264 times)
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« on: Yesterday at 11:23 PM »

Well,  it finally came down to me wanting a monster more than the video equipment I intended to acquire to film the construction.  Originally my thoughts were that I would document the entire build with dialogue and close ups of film.  That being said, I was never happy with the level of production I was able to achieve and so I have thrown in the towel on this particular project. 

The result is a fine kite (minus an upper spreader right now, as I find I'm out of 5mm carbon... which is now on order).  I can add this to the stack of kites I've built but yet to fly!

Some notes on the design:
Should you build this kite, beware the mylar panels.  If your stitches are too close together, it will just tear a hole in the mylar sections.
The frame of this kite is great... the lower spreaders, upper leading edges and lower leading edges can all be cut to 73mm.  I set a stop block on my DIY spar cutter and just cut away (6 spars all the same length)
3pt bridle is just the right dimension so that a keeper line is not needed to prevent tail wraps. 
Hopefully "imitation" really is the higher form of flattery.  If you look close at the kites I build, you'll see the clear influences of my favorite builders (Paul Shirey, Ken McNeill, Lam Hoac, to name a few).

Frame is:
3pt leading edges
5pt black diamond lower spreaders
5pt spine
5mm upper spreader (on order)
approx 12 grams weight in the tail
leech line

And more related to another thread (the "which part of kite making do you like the least" thread), here is a shot of the nose.  The nose, being close to the last thing I do on the sail, always presents one last step for me to mess up!  This nose has a mylar sail re-enforcement, along with a dacron pocket in the rear for the spine.  The dacron pocket is lined with 'moonie tape', as i find this helps the spine slide in easily and keeps the dacron from splitting over time. 

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: Today at 12:01 AM »

That's a fine looking Monster.

Air shots soon? (hint, hint)

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: Today at 01:57 AM »

Great colour choice! I like that s lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:23 AM »

You always do nice work Steve and this is another fine build  Cool

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Tim P.
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:42 AM »

Oh wow, that is gorgeous!
Beautiful kite, nice job!  Definitely need some in-flight pics or even a video.
swissfish

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:08 AM »

If your problem is the 5mm, ship me the kite, I happen to have some available  Roll Eyes

Jam Session, Isis, Eclipse, X4i, homemade SUL Rev
Rokakku, several fighters, Squadron kites and others
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: Today at 11:28 AM »

of course I have a day off today... and not a speck of wind!  not a single shiver of a blade of grass.  Maybe later this afternoon.
coogee

« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:00 PM »

Great looking kite. The colours look very good with that panel layout.

Always loved the Derefat designs. Still enjoy flying the Vortex and the Organic is huge fun specially in a bit of breeze.

Brilliant work Stephen... as usual

Mike
photogbill
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: Today at 06:20 PM »

Great job Steve! That color combo is really nice! I'm going to be building another Monster myself ...and this time keep it at the designer's original size instead of the 94%er I previously built! The one I built is a fun kite but a little to squirrelly. I'm still planning on tweaking the bridle when I have time to hopefully tame it down a bit but I expect the full size monster might resolve that issue as well.
One thing is certain with the 94%er I built. It loves to roll up ...and it does a yo-fade like no there kite I've ever flown. It practically gives them away!

Looking forward to some flying videos of yours to inspire me to start that project!  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum