GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 08:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beetle Nose Piece Breakage  (Read 480 times)
Boats13
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: October 05, 2014, 03:54 PM »

I have several Beetle 2100's. All of them are from 2000-2001. ALL of the plastic has shattered on them. Leading edge connectors, standoff ends (both), and most troublesome..... THE NOSES!!!!! They were in storage for several years and it was NOT climate controlled. Is this just a symptom of age on all Flying Wings kites or is it most likely from them getting heated during the summer? I have a GFAK Dragonfly with one of those inverted on it, for the top wing and it shattered also. I need six of the darned things and all the LE fittings and standoffs... It does not seem to be cost efficient to replace them all if this is an ongoing problem with them.
Has anyone else had this problem?  If so, did you direct replace or some other solution???

CT
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 09:56 PM »

I have two now... one going on about 13 years and the other about 9 years. Neither have the issues you mention.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 04:03 AM »

Eh, it is a piece of plastic... Breakage can happen to it...a few nose plants puts some time cracks in it and then a little temperature change and snap....

If the pieces crumble apart vs snap that means the plastic was probably bad.....
The beetle noise piece was originally a DynaKite molded noise piece.... I know people who have DynaKite nose pieces that are 25 years old and not had a problem...

You bring up temperature: where are you and where do you store/fly?

The go fly bit looks like the same piece but if I remember correctly was a lower quality Chinese copy of that fitting.... And weaker..

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Boats13

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:16 PM »

I think it was the heat ..  htey were in North Florida for five years .. Crumbled apart .. .. .. All were brand new ,, no ground rash, never been assembled. Just opened the btthe  for my Icon from the same s  time frame as the Beetles. LE connectors crumbled into chips, coming out of the bag.  Time to order parts for them all.  Glad to know it will be worth it to replace them. Lesson learned, they will stay in the house from now on .. Thanks ,,  y'all,

Boats
Frazer
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:33 PM »

I still have a little bag of Beetle spare parts - but not the nose unfortunately.

If you'd like them, send me a PM with your address and I'll send them out to you.

-Frazer
Boats13

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 03:32 PM »

Thanks! PM sent!

Boats
Boats13

« Reply #6 on: Today at 08:20 PM »

Thanks, Frazer! Got 'em and putting them to use. Will post pics when we fly, hopefully next week!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change