GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 03:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exile evolution  (Read 6578 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 07:19 AM »

Great job Steve!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 09:12 AM »

I'm curious to see if I'm the only one who likes it  Wink

Huh  Huh  Huh

Errr.... um... no, not the only one who likes it.

ATB,
Sam
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 10:58 AM »

Looks incredible IMO - it reminds me of the Elixir.

6 kite tom
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 12:16 PM »

hey Tom, I hope to be at the Whidbey Kite Festival in a few weeks.
I have one of Steve Tapp's modified Exiles and would love to have yourself and any other PNW fliers run it through its paces, give opinions/feedback.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
kmac
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 01:07 PM »

How I spent my weekend, a TriSpi 40 modded Exile standard:

An all-Mylar "Exile"?  Did anybody else hear that rumbling?  If I'm not mistaken, that's the sound of Moonie rolling over in his grave.* ;-)

It's very nice Steve.  Very "Euro"

kmac

* Don't worry, Moonie's not really in a grave, he's in witness protection in an undisclosed tropical locale.  Allegedly, he was last seen having cervezas with Betty Boop and Jessica Rabbit.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:11 PM by kmac » Logged
coogee

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 02:54 PM »

That Jessica Rabbit is hot......
tpatter

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 05:46 PM »

hey Tom, I hope to be at the Whidbey Kite Festival in a few weeks.
I have one of Steve Tapp's modified Exiles and would love to have yourself and any other PNW fliers run it through its paces, give opinions/feedback.

I'll be there Steve and would love to try the kite!   Also, I'll be bringing my ABS and some others that I'd like you to try if you would like.

-Tom

6 kite tom
dragonfish

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 09:14 PM »

I really like the look of an all mylar (or all white...yes, I am thinking about your Monster builds) sail with black pinstriping.  Just something about it, can't put my finger on it. 
skb

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54 PM »

OK Tom, looking forward to Whidbey Island in later September!

I flew the modded Exile again this afternoon in ~6-10 knot winds.

I'm still flying it without weights and found the only thing I struggled with was the effortless yo-yos it did with all 5 weights.

Backspins were quite flat and weren't too fussy about set-up. I'll probably settle on 2 or 3 weights.

Did a lovely old trick that I can't recall the name of, but it's a Coin-toss that starts on the wingtip the kite is poised on and goes to a 360 flat spin to a 2 point landing.

Jacob's Ladder and Flic-flacs were a piece of cake, the modded Exile quickly transitions orientation in a predictable and repeatable manner.

I'm liking the mods quite a lot, it has a bit more trickiness without giving up that BMK feel. 

skb

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 09:32 AM »

The modded Exile was flown by Tom and Eli at the Whidbey Island Kite Festival.
I only got one photo that was reasonably in focus, as it was in constant motion.
Those guys sure can fly a kite!  Grin

tpatter

« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 05:15 PM »

Thanks, it was great to meet some folks in the forum in person.  Plus, I got to fly a new kite! 

I had a lot of fun flying this modified Exile.  It's gut the goods, I was able to do all the tricks that I know right off with little to no adjustment.  It's been some time since I've flown an Exile, but this kite sure liked to trick. I'd love to fly it side by side with original to see the differences. 

I have it in my bag. Any flyers in the area get in touch with me and we'll meet up and give it a spin or two.  It would be especially good if someone in the area with an Exile could meet to try them side by side.

This kite seemed more agile in tricks than I remember the original being.  A great combination of old school smooth solid flight and grace with radical agility as well. 

I was impressed - everything worked extremely well including the comete and taz.

I look forward to flying it some more!  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:21 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
stapp59
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2014, 09:15 AM »

Thanks Tom and Steve for your feedback on the kite.  Most helpful.

As I reflect on the recent builds, pics, and especially the videos and experience of the kite flying, there is one aspect I'd like to adjust to improve the all around abilities a smidge.  The change will require an adjustment to the sail profile and a new build prototype to test. The kite is very close, just smaller tweaks now to adjust the details.  I sense a weekend project coming up...

Thanks, it was great to meet some folks in the forum in person.  Plus, I got to fly a new kite! 

I had a lot of fun flying this modified Exile.  It's gut the goods, I was able to do all the tricks that I know right off with little to no adjustment.  It's been some time since I've flown an Exile, but this kite sure liked to trick. I'd love to fly it side by side with original to see the differences. 

I have it in my bag. Any flyers in the area get in touch with me and we'll meet up and give it a spin or two.  It would be especially good if someone in the area with an Exile could meet to try them side by side.

This kite seemed more agile in tricks than I remember the original being.  A great combination of old school smooth solid flight and grace with radical agility as well. 

I was impressed - everything worked extremely well including the comete and taz.

I look forward to flying it some more!  Smiley

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
stapp59

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2014, 09:01 AM »

Final update:

The last tweak worked pretty well and so I'm calling this phase of the project complete.  Will build a final set and retire all the test sails.  Has been a pretty good year for me with the Exile and Psycho projects. 

The one thing I really learned while trying to make videos is how much my flying sucks.  Have already made some flying improvements and that will be the continued focus for next year.  At least I'll have a nice set of kites that are more capable than I am  Smiley

Thanks all,
Steve

Steve in Indiana

stapp59

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2014, 05:13 PM »

Latest builds from new templates:

2PT SUL@7.5 oz, P100/3PT UL@9.4 oz, Nitro Std@11.5 oz, Nitro Vent@13.0 oz

The goal now is to fly as well as they do...

Steve in Indiana

sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2014, 08:39 PM »

Steve, you are a building machine!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum