GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exile evolution  (Read 1783 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2014, 07:19 AM »

Great job Steve!
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2014, 09:12 AM »

I'm curious to see if I'm the only one who likes it  Wink

Huh  Huh  Huh

Errr.... um... no, not the only one who likes it.

ATB,
Sam
tpatter
Trade Count: (+22)

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2014, 10:58 AM »

Looks incredible IMO - it reminds me of the Elixir.

6 kite tom
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2014, 12:16 PM »

hey Tom, I hope to be at the Whidbey Kite Festival in a few weeks.
I have one of Steve Tapp's modified Exiles and would love to have yourself and any other PNW fliers run it through its paces, give opinions/feedback.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
kmac
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2014, 01:07 PM »

How I spent my weekend, a TriSpi 40 modded Exile standard:

An all-Mylar "Exile"?  Did anybody else hear that rumbling?  If I'm not mistaken, that's the sound of Moonie rolling over in his grave.* ;-)

It's very nice Steve.  Very "Euro"

kmac

* Don't worry, Moonie's not really in a grave, he's in witness protection in an undisclosed tropical locale.  Allegedly, he was last seen having cervezas with Betty Boop and Jessica Rabbit.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 04:11 PM by kmac » Logged
coogee

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2014, 02:54 PM »

That Jessica Rabbit is hot......
tpatter

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2014, 05:46 PM »

hey Tom, I hope to be at the Whidbey Kite Festival in a few weeks.
I have one of Steve Tapp's modified Exiles and would love to have yourself and any other PNW fliers run it through its paces, give opinions/feedback.

I'll be there Steve and would love to try the kite!   Also, I'll be bringing my ABS and some others that I'd like you to try if you would like.

-Tom

6 kite tom
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2014, 09:06 PM »

Here she is outside.  Thunderstorms were rolling through with lightening (Spirit of Moonie perhaps?) so only had a few minutes in the air. Flies just fine and weighs about the same as an Icarex model.  Mylar is a bit stiffer though. Overall I prefer a fabric sail but this does look pretty cool.  Cool

Ken I'm happy you're still talking to me  Wink and thanks for all your kites over the years.  Some of the best.

Will get some pictures in the sun and practice some aerial shots.  Steve your pics are great!  With a location that awesome the proto Exile has no intention of coming back to Indiana.  That's fine as it's earned respite from having me cut on it.  It used to be a vented then I replaced the panels and cut it in half for the mods...

Tom would love to have input from you and other PNW fliers. Remember this is not meant to be an Ultimate Trick Kite (UTK) but rather a trick accessible all rounder that files well and retains much of that Blue Moon Feel (tm). If you guys agree with that description I'll be very pleased indeed.

Of course there are many good all rounders on the market already.  The modded Exile fills a very important niche though - my kite bag  Cheesy

Steve any trim issues to work on between now and then?  If so, send me a PM.

Cheers,
Steve

« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:30 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
dragonfish

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 09:14 PM »

I really like the look of an all mylar (or all white...yes, I am thinking about your Monster builds) sail with black pinstriping.  Just something about it, can't put my finger on it. 
skb

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 10:54 PM »

OK Tom, looking forward to Whidbey Island in later September!

I flew the modded Exile again this afternoon in ~6-10 knot winds.

I'm still flying it without weights and found the only thing I struggled with was the effortless yo-yos it did with all 5 weights.

Backspins were quite flat and weren't too fussy about set-up. I'll probably settle on 2 or 3 weights.

Did a lovely old trick that I can't recall the name of, but it's a Coin-toss that starts on the wingtip the kite is poised on and goes to a 360 flat spin to a 2 point landing.

Jacob's Ladder and Flic-flacs were a piece of cake, the modded Exile quickly transitions orientation in a predictable and repeatable manner.

I'm liking the mods quite a lot, it has a bit more trickiness without giving up that BMK feel. 

stapp59

« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2014, 04:40 AM »

Quote from: indigo_wolf
Huh  Huh  Huh

Errr.... um... no, not the only one who likes it.

ATB,
Sam

Smiley  May have to get a proto out to the east coast sometime...

Quote from: dragonfish
I really like the look of an all mylar (or all white...yes, I am thinking about your Monster builds) sail with black pinstriping.  Just something about it, can't put my finger on it. 

Thanks!  I really like the all white with pin striping as well.  A real classic and awesome looking pulling a 100' black/white tube tail around.  If I didn't have so many Exiles would do a set of those next.

I'll keep the all white Monster set but may make the Mylar std available sometime as it is not likely to be flown much now with the Exile in the bag.

Quote from: skb
OK Tom, looking forward to Whidbey Island in later September!

I flew the modded Exile again this afternoon in ~6-10 knot winds.

I'm still flying it without weights and found the only thing I struggled with was the effortless yo-yos it did with all 5 weights.

Backspins were quite flat and weren't too fussy about set-up. I'll probably settle on 2 or 3 weights.

Did a lovely old trick that I can't recall the name of, but it's a Coin-toss that starts on the wingtip the kite is poised on and goes to a 360 flat spin to a 2 point landing.

Jacob's Ladder and Flic-flacs were a piece of cake, the modded Exile quickly transitions orientation in a predictable and repeatable manner.

I'm liking the mods quite a lot, it has a bit more trickiness without giving up that BMK feel. 

Sounds like it's on the right track Steve.  Am using 3 weights now on the Std and 5 weights still on the heavier vented.

Did you shorten that inner standoff a little (1/4")?  Tames the tendency to over rotate.  Have done that adjustment on all my standards and vents.

Yes the kite has a familiar feel and it's the simple little things I really like. Pop up take offs, ground work, solid fade, endless cascades and flic-flacs, etc.

The easier roll-ups and JL type moves are a nice addition.

Don't know about the RUCWFFETR.  Never had a kite that would do those and I've not learned all the tricks yet Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 06:18 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

stapp59

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2014, 04:08 AM »

The Mylar is cool looking but I prefer an Icarex sail. All white is classic.

Same panel layout with colors courtesy of my 9 year old.  Here make this one daddy...

« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:34 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana

skb

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2014, 09:32 AM »

The modded Exile was flown by Tom and Eli at the Whidbey Island Kite Festival.
I only got one photo that was reasonably in focus, as it was in constant motion.
Those guys sure can fly a kite!  Grin

tpatter

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2014, 05:15 PM »

Thanks, it was great to meet some folks in the forum in person.  Plus, I got to fly a new kite! 

I had a lot of fun flying this modified Exile.  It's gut the goods, I was able to do all the tricks that I know right off with little to no adjustment.  It's been some time since I've flown an Exile, but this kite sure liked to trick. I'd love to fly it side by side with original to see the differences. 

I have it in my bag. Any flyers in the area get in touch with me and we'll meet up and give it a spin or two.  It would be especially good if someone in the area with an Exile could meet to try them side by side.

This kite seemed more agile in tricks than I remember the original being.  A great combination of old school smooth solid flight and grace with radical agility as well. 

I was impressed - everything worked extremely well including the comete and taz.

I look forward to flying it some more!  Smiley
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:21 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
stapp59

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2014, 06:40 AM »

Thanks Tom for the excellent feedback and glad you liked the kite! Thanks Steve for passing it on.

"A great combination of old school smooth solid flight and grace with radical agility as well."  Exactly! Smiley

If you crossed a BMK Mamba with a Benson Superfly you may well end up with something like the modded Exile. An Enigma perhaps? To restate from above, the goal is to make a good all rounder, also known as a desert island kite, that is wind efficient, fun to fly, pretty good precision, and does most all the tricks easily. The Exile is that kind of kite. The mods add some tricking ability without sacrificing much of what made it a great kite to start.

Hope you find a stock Exile in your area. Flown side by side you should find the modded Exile is:
- A little slower paced, less acceleration in gusts, a little less pull and easier to initiate slack line tricks.
- Similar low wind efficiency with a broader sweet spot wind range for tricking due to the speed moderation.
- Precision is still there but have to tend the corners and straight lines a little bit more when flying figures.
- Solid fade, stable backflip, tight spins, easier rollups, and smooth transitions add to the freestyle abilities.

It's not really an Exile now. John Barresi was in Chicago over the past weekend and I drove up Sunday to fly with the group.  Storm fronts were blowing though and the winds were up and down, gusty and choppy all day.  Normal midwest inland crappy winds. Roll Eyes Flew the Vent, Std, and UL thoughout the day as the winds changed.

John had flown an Exile quite a bit in the past and spoke fondly of Ken and his kites.  Handed him the straps and it did not take long before John was flipping it around punctuated with tip stabs and square cuts. I asked John if he could tell it was an Exile and he said not really but that he liked the kite. I thought the kite flew better when he handed the straps back. Smiley

The all rounder category is a pretty crowded space with several great kites out there. I don't expect the modded Exile would replace someone's established favorite kite but it could be a favorite kite.

That kite is a demo and I don't expect to see it back.  Have fun with it, pass it around, wear it out.  I have more and will replace Steve's demo Wink

Am curious about any trim changes you made: bridle, weights, standoffs. I like to keep it tuned for the sweet spot but everyone's style is a little different.

Cheers,
Steve

Thanks, it was great to meet some folks in the forum in person.  Plus, I got to fly a new kite! 

I had a lot of fun flying this modified Exile.  It's gut the goods, I was able to do all the tricks that I know right off with little to no adjustment.  It's been some time since I've flown an Exile, but this kite sure liked to trick. I'd love to fly it side by side with original to see the differences. 

I have it in my bag. Any flyers in the area get in touch with me and we'll meet up and give it a spin or two.  It would be especially good if someone in the area with an Exile could meet to try them side by side.

This kite seemed more agile in tricks than I remember the original being.  A great combination of old school smooth solid flight and grace with radical agility as well. 

I was impressed - everything worked extremely well including the comete and taz.

I look forward to flying it some more!  Smiley

Steve in Indiana

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document