GWTW Forum
September 19, 2018, 02:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Issues? Questions?
email gwtwforum@kitekids.net

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 ... 16 [17]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exile evolution  (Read 77055 times)
stapp59
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #240 on: May 03, 2015, 04:48 AM »

Thanks gentlemen for the kind words.  Nice to have done something of significance from my midwest flying fields.  Next steps? Not sure. Will likely continue to evolve this design as my flying skills improve over time.

Most all sport kites for the last decade or longer are variations on what has been done before and unless flying styles change that design trend will continue.  My skills revolve around observation, imagination, adaptation, modification, and reapplication. Building on what has been done before.

I could not find the kite I most wanted to fly that worked well in my field conditions so I set out to create it. The kite was more successful than I hoped and will be my favorite kite for some time.

Success with design is a funny thing. After working with a project and repeatedly failing, to come up with a success is elating.  You want to share that success with others and they then build on that with their own efforts. That is how innovation continues. I could have called this project 'Emacs' as I threw everything I knew at it.

I hope this effort inspires others to do likewise.

Steve

The Enigma would be a worthy addition to any sport kite flier's bag on this forum. Your quality of build and unique parameters combined make this a stand-alone achievement.

I enjoy the slower speed this kite performs its tricks and the slot machine is top shelf.  Smiley

Really like the manual.   Excellent layout, pictures and content.  Covers many details new flyers needs. Much more helpful information than I have ever seen before.

Your skills run wide and deep.  Flown the Enigma in the SUL, UL, STD and vented versions.  Each preforms well for its wind range and would be a great addition to any kite bag.  Can wait to see your future designs.     
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #241 on: May 03, 2015, 05:28 AM »

I could not find the kite I most wanted to fly that worked well in my field conditions so I set out to create it. The kite was more successful than I hoped and will be my favorite kite for some time.
This is a testament to what you have worked up... Others like it too.....
And that is of course the best reason for someone to try their hands at making a kite, make it yours!!!

I have not flown one but imagine it is a super sweet flyer that would teach me and make me smile when flying it

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2015, 07:42 AM »

Part of the Enigma project was an 'owners manual' of kite settings and general tuning/flying information. Like the kite, the manual contains nothing new that experienced flyers don't already know but it is a good collection of information some may find useful.  The shape shifter standoffs are described with pictures.  Here is a google drive link containing the file:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9BSWULZJfvHfk9xaUdMa1ZkNXlleGo1SXVRQU1zcnNiaFFaNlZ3ODQtM1htQ3VLYldSVGM&usp=sharing

Steve, this looks like a splendid resource for your kite.  Really nice work!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #243 on: May 04, 2015, 08:40 AM »

I have not flown one but imagine it is a super sweet flyer that would teach me and make me smile when flying it

So true...  (from own who has the good fortune to fly the engima.)
stapp59
« Reply #244 on: May 04, 2015, 12:35 PM »

If you pull out the kite specific info, the general flying and tuning info would apply to a good many sport kites.  Just sayin...  Smiley

Steve, this looks like a splendid resource for your kite.  Really nice work!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 03:12 AM by stapp59 » Logged
BrianS
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #245 on: May 30, 2015, 08:21 PM »

One of the other kite fliers at the beach today had this absolutely gorgeous white kite with black pinstriping that turned out to be an Enigma. Since I've been following this thread with great interest from the beginning, I was delighted to have the opportunity to finally see (and fly) one in person.

The sewing and craftsmanship is absolutely beautiful. It's obvious that a lot of time, care, skill and patience were involved in the build.

For anyone who's inclined to enjoy experimenting with kite tuning and adjustments, the Enigma would be an ideal choice. There are so many possibilities that I now fully appreciate Steve's motivation for writing up the detailed owner's manual. I think it'd be ideal to have two of these kites in order to do side-by-side testing of the different configurations.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a decent camera with me today, so this was the best I could do for a photo.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:27 PM by BrianS » Logged

My little corner of the kite universe: http://kitenotes.net .
dragonfish
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #246 on: May 30, 2015, 09:24 PM »

Yes, it looks gorgeous.  White kite with black pinstriping against a white backdrop (fog layer made the sky completely white) gives a pretty cool effect.  I could clearly see the kite, yet it was very.....minimalist shall I say.  I was too busy judging to think about taking a picture (grrr).  I was also too busy competing and judging to have a go on the kite (another grrr).  Good job stapp.

stapp59
« Reply #247 on: June 01, 2015, 04:20 AM »

That kite is now in the hands of John Gillespie when he flew it at Grand Haven.  Nice to see it out and about. Thanks for the comments folks.  Am interested to hear impressions from those who get a chance to fly it.
BrianS
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #248 on: June 01, 2015, 09:21 PM »

Am interested to hear impressions from those who get a chance to fly it.

I only got to spend about 10 minutes with it between events, but it definitely passed the most important test: I thought it was great fun to fly! It was tuned and adjusted in a way that felt like a good fit for the way I like to fly - cornering, tracking, stalls, landings, etc. I usually take it pretty easy with slack-line stuff when I'm flying someone else's kite, but I couldn't resist a few of my high-probability-of-success tricks and I found it easy to adjust my inputs to get the kite to dance with me. I certainly saw that kite do some impressive things throughout the day (mostly when other people were flying it Wink ). It attracted lots of interest and got quite a lot of air time, so maybe some other folks will chime in with their thoughts.

Of course, any meaningful feedback about this kite should also include a detailed description of how it's configured (e.g., which standoff positions are in use, the position of the shape-shifters, etc.). Although I didn't spend the time to document any of that, I believe it was set up in what you might call the "default" configuration.

I'm just amazed at what you've managed to do with this project. Nice work!  Smiley

My little corner of the kite universe: http://kitenotes.net .
stapp59
« Reply #249 on: June 02, 2015, 04:25 AM »

Quote from: BrianS
Quote from: stapp59
Am interested to hear impressions from those who get a chance to fly it.

I only got to spend about 10 minutes with it between events, but it definitely passed the most important test: I thought it was great fun to fly!

For an all around kite "fun to fly" is the best first impressions the kite can give.  DonnaH described it as a "trickier Mamba" after a test fly at Grand Haven.  High praise from someone with much experience and GH is a Mamba lovefest event Smiley

Of course, any meaningful feedback about this kite should also include a detailed description of how it's configured (e.g., which standoff positions are in use, the position of the shape-shifters, etc.).  I believe it was set up in what you might call the "default" configuration.

The adjustable standoffs are a mixed blessing.  Tweakers like them and I consider them essential when developing a kite.  Once dialed in, most flyers would do well with fixed standoffs at the sweet spot and only adjust the uphaul for wind conditions.  The default standoff settings seem preferred by most flyers.

I'm just amazed at what you've managed to do with this project. Nice work!  Smiley

Thanks Brian. It's been a good project and the kite is proving to be what I had hoped.  The kite is pretty much set and have been tweaking a few things lately: leading edge shape, sail broadseaming, a new nose.  Will post something once settled...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 04:35 AM by stapp59 » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 [17]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Blue Moon
Blue Moon Kites

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom