Bent Rod / Spar

Pages: (1/6) > >>

Mikey1:

i put my 12 foot delta up a few days ago, i always double check the rods while assembling and everything was fine, the kite flew fine,

i brought the kite down and the landing was smooth as can be (no hitting the ground), when disassembling the kite i pulled the center spar out and it was noticeably bent!

it was bent to the point where i had great difficulty pulling the two rods apart, they normally slide apart with very little effort,

the winds were moderate and not heavy at all, i have flown it in much heavier winds before without any problems,

i am very disappointed with this, i treat my kites like they are my babies, this must have happened during the flight,

i have emailed the company where i bought the kite and they are conveniently ignoring my emails, its amazing how fast they reply when i was inquiring about purchasing the kite,

i have a picture of the rod but the site says its too big to upload

thief:

lets see....
what is the spreader made from?
you will find much higher winds up further.....that might have wreaked havoc....
for the stuck ferrule:
there might be sand or something stuck in the ferrule....
the spreader might have splintered apart a little bit and is spread out inside the ferrule...

forward me the picture in an email and i can pop it up for you....

Did you contact the manufacturer company?

Mikey1:

Quote from: thief on June 04, 2014, 10:25 AM
--
lets see....
what is the spreader made from?
you will find much higher winds up further.....that might have wreaked havoc....
for the stuck ferrule:
there might be sand or something stuck in the ferrule....
the spreader might have splintered apart a little bit and is spread out inside the ferrule...

forward me the picture in an email and i can pop it up for you....

Did you contact the manufacturer company?

--

all the rods are made from the same material including the spreader,

i believe it is carbon fiber, the spreader is fine, no problems there, the spreader is alot thicker than the other rods,

it is the center spine that bent that goes from nose to tail,

i have had the kite up over 800 feet in what i would consider high winds without issues,

on this particular day i had it up no more than 300 feet in light to moderate winds compared to the latter,

the carbon fiber rods themselves are all fine, no cracks, no splinters, it is the aluminum connector where the two rods connect that bent,

i always make sure the rods are fully inserted during assembly,

the rods on my 9 foot are half the diameter of these rods and i never had a problem there,

i will email you the pic, it will be easier to understand in a pic,

thief:

nice ferrule!!!!

i would a)contact the manufacturer about it b)pick up a spare ferrule or two that is the correct size -also these might be stronger than the original one (you can google "kite ferrule" and there are some places to get them from)....

Allen Carter:

The kite store you bought from should be able to replace that, maybe even have a stronger alternative. That really shouldn't be so bendable!

If the replacement doesn't seem stronger, then you might consider augmenting with an internal ferrule of some sort. A carbon rod or tube that goes inside the spar to provide extra strength at the joint. Wouldn't need to be very long, but as weight isn't much of an issue with so big a kite, 12" or so would be OK. Gluing the ferrule in one spar would be permanent, but would make the rod longer than maybe would fit in the bag or something. All you'd really need to do is make sure the ferrule couldn't slide down in the spar, so gluing a narrow ring (like a 1/8" cutoff of the spar material) at the mid point to the ferrule would work and it would be removable and still fit inside the external ferrule.

Pages: (1/6) > >>