GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 10:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bent Rod / Spar  (Read 1884 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 04:53 PM »

sometimes a phone call works best in these situations...

I agree.

I have had great support from them. 

They once even contacted me on a defect.
Mikey1
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 10:29 AM »

forget it, i have given up,

3 emails and 6 days is enough evidence for me to conclude one is being ignored, i found a similar part locally that i will try,

even though i feel like they should replace this part for me free of charge, i even told them i would buy the damn part if i had to, i don't really give a crap about the money,

a few months ago when i was looking to purchase a kite i emailed ITW 10-12 times with questions about certain kites, and every single time they replied to my email/questions within 2 hours of my email being sent,

i find it odd how quickly the replies come when you are looking to buy something from them, but if you have a problem, no reply at all,

alot of people come and talk to me about my kites when i fly, if they ever ask me where to purchase one i will definitely be telling them where NOT to go, as i am not happy with the product or the service
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 10:31 AM by Mikey1 » Logged
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 10:49 AM »

Very disappointed to hear that Mikey. I hope there is some logical explanation.
Lee S

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 10:27 PM »

Hey Mikey,
 i
Could you get an exact (or close) measurement of outside diameter of your spine rods?  If you're lacking a caliper, you can approximate size if you have a set of smallish metric wrenches. Reason I ask is I have found several ferrules of slightly less than 10mm, (I think, about .960-.980 in.) and I'd be happy to send them your way if you think they'll work for ya. Hit me with a e-mail or a PM.

Lee
Mikey1

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 09:36 AM »

Hey Mikey,
 i
Could you get an exact (or close) measurement of outside diameter of your spine rods?  If you're lacking a caliper, you can approximate size if you have a set of smallish metric wrenches. Reason I ask is I have found several ferrules of slightly less than 10mm, (I think, about .960-.980 in.) and I'd be happy to send them your way if you think they'll work for ya. Hit me with a e-mail or a PM.

Lee

thanks, that is very nice of you and i appreciate the offer very much, however there is no need now,

i just came on here to update this thread as it is only fair to ITW,

ITW did eventually reply to my many emails after 7 days and are sending me a new ferrule free of charge....i guess slow service is better than no service,

after a two week break from this kite i am actually now looking forward to flying it again in hopes i can figure out why it is so unstable,

i have been debating purchasing a large tail of some kind in hopes that it might help, but my thinking is a kite should fly fine by itself.....my 9 foot does

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:38 AM by Mikey1 » Logged
Lee S

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 08:37 PM »

Well, glad it's working out for you, I still got 'em should the situation change.

It occurred to me that now might be a good time to check all the measurements on your big kite. Most delta kites follow a pretty standard set of proportions, because that's what works best. In some very basic searching, I found this  http://es.kiteplans.org/planos/deltafor/deltafor_2.html  which should give you the relative sizes and angles. I tend to think maybe the towpoint is a bit too far back, giving an angle of attack that's just not working for the conditions. I've always thought of flat framed kites as skimming on top of the wind, so I set them all a bit flat. I was further thinking that my Pyro delta (the only delta I fly, I think) has a short 2-3 inch pigtail off the towpoint, which I then tie off my line to. This could conceivably give the kite a bit of room to "rock" for lack of a better term, and move about relative to any gusting. Or I could have just made that part up. I've always preferred kites with string bridles, and I adjust them accordingly. Keep us all updated!  I'm sure you'll get is sorted out, and learn something about kites and kiting in the process. That's what it's all about.
Mikey1

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2014, 04:00 PM »

thanks Lee, i appreciate the help,

i think i will take measurements of my 9 foot and my 12 foot, then compare where the tow points are in relation to each kites measurements,

in the meantime, i have flown the 12 foot kite 3 times in the past 2 days with my home made ferrule until the other one arrives, the kite has flown perfectly all 3 times without any issues at all,

so im not really sure what to think, maybe it really is just taking time for me to get used to it, and learn how to handle it in certain wind conditions, i guess the problems could have been my fault all along,

i think at first i was a bit intimidated by it, instead of "letting it go" so to speak, when the kite wanted to climb at low altitudes, i think i have been holding it back too much,

live and learn i guess,
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 04:02 PM by Mikey1 » Logged
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2014, 04:03 PM »

Glad you are enjoying your kite.  Wink
Mikey1

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2014, 08:10 AM »

just wanted to update,

my free replacement ferrule arrived today from ITW, and the kite has been flying alot better lately, so im a happy guy and customer Smiley

i think i just needed to get used to the kite
JimNZ
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2014, 03:43 AM »

Hi Mikey,

I just read this thread for the first time, and was quite surprised to hear of your problems.  As you know, I have the same kite (bought direct from ITW in my case.)  I've flown it many times in the last four years without ever having anything go wrong.  With any product, there can be a "dud" occasionally, and the ferrule on your kite seems to be in that category.  It's good to know you finally got the problem sorted and were able to fly the beautiful Highlighter again.

I'm surprised, too, that you didn't get better service from either ITW or Cobra Kites.  I've always found them both to be very helpful, although my distance from them makes things more difficult - having an email "conversation" can be rather protracted in view of the time difference, for one thing.  And waiting for a spare part to arrive entails a good deal of patience as the postal system is not exactly fast.  I hope you won't be permanently put off dealing with them. 

Whatever you do, don't buy kites direct from China (with a couple of honorable exceptions) or you will really find out what bad service is!  Some of the dealers there set out deliberately to cheat the customer, believing that the ignorant westerners won't know any better.

Jim

Jim
Mikey1

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2014, 05:49 AM »

I hope you won't be permanently put off dealing with them. 

no, not at all,

i believe ITW and cobra kites (where i bought it) are both very good companies and i would not hesitate to deal with either one of them again,

i think i over reacted and took my frustrations out on them when i shouldnt have, and i believe i apologized for that, if i didnt then consider this my apology,

although i am still not sure why the ferrule bent, i think it was just a one time unlucky incident, ITW made good and sent me a free ferrule,

since the new ferrule, the last 15-20 times i have flown the kite, it has flown perfect without any problems or issues,

i think the "flight problems" i was having were caused by myself, it just took me awhile to get used to the handling of the 12 foot from my 9 foot,

in fact, i am now thinking about buying the "sweet 16" 16 footer from ITW or cobra kites, that is why i was asking you about your 16 footer that you bought overseas, i wanted to know how the quality compared to ITW's 16 foot as the two kites look very similar,

i have dealt with one place from china called "emma kites" and have had very good experiences and service from them, i bought my kite reel, line, and my first 9 footer from them, they seem to be all very good quality products,
JimNZ

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2014, 05:58 AM »

Mikey,

Emma Kites is one of the "honorable exceptions" I mentioned - never had a problem with them.

That Chinese version of the Sweet 16 seems to be variable, like a lot of stuff there.  The one I got is very good, but I know someone else who bought one and got something of lesser quality.  That's the trouble, no consistency even if you buy the same thing twice.  If you can afford it, I'd say go for the real thing every time, then you'll have no worries.

Have fun!

Jim

Jim
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2014, 05:01 PM »

Whatever you do, don't buy kites direct from China (with a couple of honorable exceptions) or you will really find out what bad service is!  Some of the dealers there set out deliberately to cheat the customer, believing that the ignorant westerners won't know any better.

Jim

Let's expand that to manufacturers ripping off designs..........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JimNZ

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2014, 06:18 PM »

They certainly do that, too.  When it's a "generic' design like a delta, then their copying is probably more a lack of imagination than anything.  There is an infinite number of variations of color, pattern, etc you could use on a delta, so why not innovate instead of copying?  But never make the mistake of thinking you get the same quality product if it's not an original, because that's almost certainly not true.  You get what you pay for, usually.

But they do, of course, deliberately rip off any original design they think they can make money from, to the extent where designers have told me of going to a kite festival in China with new kites and seeing copies of them available before they leave a couple of days later!  This means the designer gets no chance to make any profit from all his or her hard work, but it also means people end up buying inferior copies which will almost certainly not fly, or last, as well as the real thing.

Can it be stopped?  Some say if no-one buys those products it will cure the problem, but that's unrealistic.  Keen kite-fliers with the means to buy originals will not be tempted anyway; those who don't know the difference or who could never afford to buy the real thing will continue to purchase.

Manufacturers to some extent encourage all this by using Chinese factories to make virtually all their products, as with most things these days.  Even Peter Lynn, whose single-line products have always been made in the factory bearing his name in New Zealand (no longer owned by him, however) is having his latest Pilot kites and other new developments made in a Chinese factory and supplied directly from there to purchasers, cutting dealers out of the picture, too.

It would be nice if we could all buy direct from the designer every time, but that would certainly limit our choices.  I'm just having a "one off" kite made by a very good American designer, and it will be one of my "Special" kites.  But to do that for every kite would mean I'd have a much, much smaller collection than I have now.

The fact is that over a vast range of products the West has abandoned manufacturing to the Chinese, and this has brought with it many problems, not just those that affect kites and kite-fliers.

Jim
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document