GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 10:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which brand line for Quantum?  (Read 341 times)
hawghunter1083
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 04, 2014, 01:39 PM »

I need some advice from some more experienced members from this site as to which replacement line to use for my Quantum.  I have flown for several years with Prism Spectra 150# x 100'...with and without a 100' Gomberg tube tail.  Like a dummy I left the line & winder on my tail gate leaving the beach one night and it was never to be found again.  Anyway, I am getting a little confused with which line to replace it with.  I had no problems with the Prism Spectra for what I know about lines, but can't seem to find Prism Spectra line in 150# x 100'.  I would like to stay with the same weight & length.  If anyone could advise me as to which brand would be best I would appreciate it.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 02:40 PM »

I think you would do just fine with the 90lb X 100ft set with straps on the Prism web site. The price is hard to beat.
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

missionview

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 03:20 PM »

My quantum came with 85' 150# lines

Robert
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 06:35 PM »

For lighter winds you can use 100# or 90# spectra, but the Quantum does recommend 150# line min....in the stronger winds it can give some pretty good pull.  Any of the Spectra brand lines should be good.  I would highly recommend Shanti or Laser Pro Gold line.  Both of these are 100% Spectra line and will work perfectly for your Quantum....chances are you will like them better than the factory set.

I personally fly on Skybond line as I have found it to be the slickest line around.  It comes in 175# or 100#.  I would recommend the 175# x 75' as a great replacement set for your Quantum.

Hope that helps.

hawghunter1083

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 02:25 PM »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate everyone's advice.  I decided to stay with the 150# x 100' to give me enough ground clearance when I pull the 100' tube tail.  I feel more comfortable with the 150# line as well because I have flown in higher winds and I definitely have to dig my heels in the sand. That thing sounds like a buzz saw and pulls like a freight train. I ordered a set of 150# x 100' Laser Pro Gold and some Peter Lynn standard straps. I'm headed for Kure Beach here in a few weeks and let you know how it works out.  Thanks again for everyone's advice.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:31 PM by hawghunter1083 » Logged
stapp59
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 03:45 AM »

Good choice using the 150# lines on the Q as it pulls hard in bigger winds and will likely break 90s.  You can fly shorter lines with a 100' tail since the tail streams behind the the kite and never dangles straight down.  I've flown 75' lines pulling a 100' tail with no problems.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate everyone's advice.  I decided to stay with the 150# x 100' to give me enough ground clearance when I pull the 100' tube tail.  I feel more comfortable with the 150# line as well because I have flown in higher winds and I definitely have to dig my heels in the sand. That thing sounds like a buzz saw and pulls like a freight train. I ordered a set of 150# x 100' Laser Pro Gold and some Peter Lynn standard straps. I'm headed for Kure Beach here in a few weeks and let you know how it works out.  Thanks again for everyone's advice.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 07:28 AM by stapp59 » Logged

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 07:21 AM »

My Quantum also came with 85' 150# Spectra lines. However, I recently purchased some Shanti Skybond 100' 100# that I now fly with and like a lot.

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum