GWTW Forum
October 01, 2014, 03:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prism and a new kite  (Read 3409 times)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2014, 05:00 AM »

So to be snarky, does Prism have ANY plans? or are they just running out the clock?
Running out the clock? Prism is doing just fine. The fact that a kite company can be successful without catering to the hard core dual line flyer seems to be hard for some to accept.

Just stirring the pot, Steve. Love my Prism's. They designed lots of classic kites, but John's right. Seems like we've passed the golden age of design, but still holding hope that another one will come along. The business model has to be extremely hard to make work. So many good designers have let the fold.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 05:04 AM by Tmadz » Logged
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2014, 06:37 AM »

Just curious, what would the new kite  design  have to do, that  the currently available products don't do well, that would cause kiters to buy the new kite in sufficient enough quantities, to make it a successful product. ?

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2014, 08:01 AM »

A QPro II would be nice. Get rid of the clunky weight system, update the LE connector 'slides', better yoyo stops. Maybe an update to the sail design (new colors ?)...  I don't think the performance could be updated much, but maybe there's a way to make it a less demanding flier. After 10 years the current design is a little stale. I would buy another if there were something different about it.
A 'Double D' would be nice, too. It doesn't seem like it would take much R&D to scale up the 4d. The biggest complaint I've heard about the 4d is that it's too small & twitchy. I would be happy to pay more for the extra fabric.

trigger

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 10:05 AM »

I think prism has the model RIGHT!   Sell kites at local beach front stores to people with money for vacation and give them a taste of quality kite for moderate price.  How many active members does GWTW have?  I am sure not enough to keep all the kite companies profitable.   One person brings a kite to the beach and it looks cool.... They sell 3 more that day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 10:43 AM »

While also an unrealistic notion, I'd be willing to pay a one time license fee for access to the plans to build my own qpro, vapor, elixer, etc.
Captainbob

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 12:46 PM »

While also an unrealistic notion, I'd be willing to pay a one time license fee for access to the plans to build my own qpro, vapor, elixer, etc.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any company to do what you are asking for.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 04:32 PM »

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for any company to do what you are asking for.

Certainly not holding my breath... it was more of a "while I'm making wishes" type of comment. 
kite_pilot

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 05:11 PM »

I think prism has the model RIGHT!   Sell kites at local beach front stores to people with money for vacation and give them a taste of quality kite for moderate price.  How many active members does GWTW have?  I am sure not enough to keep all the kite companies profitable.   One person brings a kite to the beach and it looks cool.... They sell 3 more that day!

i do my best to try and help keep alive this forum with new annoying topics all the time r.e stuff,lol!! Grin
even though it does NOT need my help! Wink

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Captainbob

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 05:51 PM »

i do my best to try and help keep alive this forum with new annoying topics all the time r.e stuff,lol!! Grin

A forum that has  little to no activity by posters, loses my interest rather quickly. This seems to be the most active forum on kiting at the moment.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 06:16 PM »

To sustain life, any endeavor needs new blood.

This Forum has been fortunate to have new people to supplement

the ancient ones.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 06:30 PM »

the ancient ones?
the ancient ones?

actually I kind of like that

Steve
Ancient One

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
kite_pilot

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 07:37 PM »

i think/believe it is importatnt to keep the constent chat up to keep the interste alive and well and keep the forum growing strong and well!
i will always do my bit to chime in and keep the interest up and keep the forum up to speed!
down the track thinking of donating some $$$ to the forum as well!:)
cheers
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
kite_pilot

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2014, 09:13 PM »

well a week later after i contatced prism,still no reply back from Prism to me asking them the question "next big new kite to come out" ?
i suppose they dont care for us little guys! Sad
oh well,off to see/buy from other interested manufactures!!!! Cheesy

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2014, 12:33 AM »

Prism rode the fast growth in kiting from the late 1980's through the early 2000's with exciting new models that kept up with or set the the bar at the time. As the excitement and popularity of kiting slowed Prism necessarily slowed with it. Should kiting enter another boom of growth you can be sure Mark has Prism well positioned and will have his fingers in on it. How long did it take Prism to get into the no/low wind gliding kite craze? Only as long as it took to license a design, design Prism signature graphics and packaging and get it into production.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 04:21 AM »

Its not entirely unheard of - didn't Dean Jordan do that with his Airfoils?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document