GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABS impressions - lams new quad line  (Read 2278 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: June 07, 2014, 08:11 PM »

I got some time on Lams new ABS quad today. 

I talked to Lam recently and told him that I was interested in his new quad.  They are  generally not available until July,  but he agreed to send me one of the few that he did have on hand. 

I flew the kite for the first time today.  I can't recall immediately connecting with a kite like this since I got my first Fearless many years ago now.  It completely exceeded my expectations.  So easy to fly either laid back or very aggressively forward or backwards.   This is the most success and fun that I've ever had flying a four line kite.

I flew for 2.5 hours and never once had to walk to the kite.  What's more, you also don't need a kite stake - the ABS is easy to relaunch from any orientation.   Not that I needed to relaunch very often - this kite is very stable and easy to control - you just don't crash unless you are pushing it with something fancy near the ground and make a mistake.   I was flying on my relatively short 85' lines - I'm looking forward to flying it on much longer lines. 

The ABS bridle limits the forward and backward input so that you can't overdo it.  If you want to go forward or backward at maximum speed you just pour it on and the kite reacts without over-rotating and falling flat.  It allows you to fly very aggressively.    Rapid quick changes in speed and direction are no-flaw easy peasy.   It also just tracks very well and is easy to keep in the air with the confidence  of a full sail feeling to it. 

I'm for sure no experienced Rev flyer, but I'm very interested to have someone who is give it a try and tell me what their impressions are.   

For me, I'm sold - it's a most impressive quad and I won't be sending it back.   Smiley. What's more - it just looks amazing in the sky.

Any Rev flyers in the Seattle area feel free to PM me and we can arrange to fly together if you're interested in trying out my ABS. 
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:51 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
socalman320
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2014, 08:20 PM »

Any pictures of this cream puff?? Tongue Cool
tpatter

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2014, 10:20 PM »

A few pictures.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 10:21 PM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 04:53 AM »

It looks like it is really reinforced for strength. A double spar leading edge with a support line to reinforce against flex. It looks like it would be very stiff.

What is it framed with? Sorry. Not an expert and don't recognize the name or strength of the sticks. Did he give you the wind range?

What is the length and how many pieces in the leading edge?

Very pretty. No doubt up to Lam's quality.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 07:08 AM by Tmadz » Logged
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 05:31 AM »

Smiley Told ya  Wink

"Do what you like"
tpatter

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 10:25 AM »

Smiley Told ya  Wink

Indeed - and thank you!  It's a winner.  Now, to save up for the mid vent.

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 10:34 AM »

It looks like it is really reinforced for strength. A double spar leading edge with a support line to reinforce against flex. It looks like it would be very stiff.

What is it framed with? Sorry. Not an expert and don't recognize the name or strength of the sticks. Did he give you the wind range?

What is the length and how many pieces in the leading edge?

Very pretty. No doubt up to Lam's quality.

The LE is 4 pieces - 2 on each side and then a piece on each side that slides in to the LE (ferrule) and goes diagonally.  Finally, the 2 vertical spars.  That's 8 in total, but you only remove 4 when breaking down or setting up the kite. 

The top 4 stay in the kite and you just fold them, and roll the kite, and put it in the very nice bag it comes with.  The bag is longer than a rev bag, but smaller than most dual line bags.

Lam told me he's making a video showing how he assembles and bags the kite.

Due to the loop standoffs and not needing a kite stake, I find setup fairly fast. I do it like my duals - just assemble the kite, attach the lines, walk back, and launch. 

It may appear stiff, but it flexes when you tork it going forward or backward.  Wind range seems very good - this is the UL and I was flying it in a variety of wind from very low to pretty high at times; I had no concerns and just flew either way.  The sail makes a pleasant buzz as the wind picks up.   Spar-wise, this is the same spar that he uses in the ATM SUL and I think it's the lightest that dynamic currently makes.   

Tom
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 10:48 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2014, 03:28 PM »

Have they published any wind ranges for the different models, standard, mid vent, sul, etc?   

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2014, 04:39 PM »

That is very cool.

Nice one Lam.
Revrookie
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2014, 07:25 PM »

So where do you sign up to get on the wait list? Is anyone taking preorders?
tpatter

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2014, 08:48 PM »

So where do you sign up to get on the wait list? Is anyone taking preorders?

As far as I know, you have to contact lam - go to the Skysportdesign page. 

I've heard that the shop in ocean shores will also be carrying them and I see that they have a picture of them there, so that may be your best bet.

I do know that they will not be available until July timeframe.

6 kite tom
tpatter

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2014, 05:01 PM »

Flew for a few more hours today - The pull of the darkside continues!!  Smiley

An 8 year old was flying it today - she was a natural.  Her grandmother, not so much! 

6 kite tom
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 06:21 AM »

Thanks a lot Tom for the review, I do appreciate. Great pictures Smiley

Cheer  my friend Smiley

Have a nice day.
Ca Ike

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 04:30 PM »

I'm waiting on this one myself. Looks like a really nice flyer and I like the shape. Lam hasn't responded to my price inquiry yet.

I like revs and have owned several but there are issues with them that haven't been addressed since the original Omega design.  The "bow tie" one wing flip up, instant sail unloading near the side of the window, fittings popping off the LE for no apparent reason, the bungie cord on the bottom of the stand offs easily tearing out of the sail.  The pro series is better with the instant sail unloading but everything else is still the same.
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2014, 05:38 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHn7xFiKM0k#t=72

"Do what you like"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change