GWTW Forum
July 30, 2014, 10:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prevent " walk of shame "  (Read 612 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 09:15 PM »

thanks all  for your kind replies!
normally i can stall the kite and sit her back down on her back ready to go again its just some times when im running back to the straps the wind tips her over!
darn wind,we luv it dearly in most cases,wish there was more of it inland though @ times!

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2014, 09:19 PM »

Are you using stakes for your staps?  If using stakes all you need to do is lean the kite back with tension on the lines and it wil stay put.  Flying without stakes would suck.
kite_pilot

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2014, 10:21 PM »

actual mate,i have a quickie stake in my flite box which i havent used yet and i should now you mentioned it!
cheers
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2014, 10:46 PM »

using a stake makes things so much easier.  I pickup my stake and put it through a belt loop while flying so that I can stake when/where done.  Having more than one kite staked and ready to go.  Usually I have a rev staked and at least one dually ready to fly.  I have never had an issue with unexpected launch or any other problems.  Cuts down on walking and makes things easier on the back to be able to break more often.

I fly near a popular beach and I will usually have a beetle ready for a newbie that may want to try and fly.
Hadge

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 03:45 AM »

its just some times when im running back to the straps the wind tips her over!

This is easy - you don't need a stake.

Stand behind the kite holding with the spine facing you and the lines running out to the straps.  Tip the nose back towards you right over so the lines run down over the trailing edge up the back of the kite up to the nose. Put it on the ground in this position with the nose pointing towards the straps into the wind. walk back to the straps then pull slowly and the kite will flip over into the take off position ready to launch.  This works in even the strongest winds. I only use a stake when I'm flying the Delta Hawk stack now.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 06:29 AM »

I haven't used a stake on the two line kite in probably ten years. They cause far more problems than they solve. YMMV.  Smiley

The roll over launch position described by Hadge works great on lots of modern kites, but not so well on most of the older designs I fly.

Most often I just walk back to the handles with the lines pinched between my fingers, keeping just enough tension on the line to keep the TE in firm contact with the ground. If I flew large kites regularly in wind over 15 MPH I might use a stake, because if one got loose with the line between my fingers it could be painful, but in reality, this has never happened.

Allen, AKA kitehead
missionview

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2014, 09:00 AM »

I do the same as Allen Carter. I only use a stake when flying my rev kites.

Robert
Captainbob

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2014, 11:16 AM »

I do the same as Allen Carter. I only use a stake when flying my rev kites.

I use Magic Sticks on my Revs, no stake required unless it is really windy.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document