GWTW Forum
August 22, 2014, 04:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: stronger heavier line in lite low winds a issue ?  (Read 411 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 08, 2014, 12:19 AM »

if the winds are say only 5 mph and im using #90 pound strain,is there much difference in performance/drag if i was to say use #50 pound line ?
what would the differenece be please flite wise ?
i suppose use lighter lines when lite winds and heavy lines when wind is strong!
thanks
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 07:13 AM »

Main difference is weight so the length of the line comes into play as well. There is not much difference in weight between 50# and 90# (type of line makes a difference as well).

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 12:44 PM »

It depends on your flight style and the kite in question.
Some kites start to come alive when you use the lightest lines, some kites don't care as long as yu keep pumping them up.

In general, if you fly trick, a heavier line isn't much a issue in very light winds because you keep tosing and pumping the kite around most of the time anyway.
But a kite that is designed to just fly smooth will benefit from a lighter line most noticeable.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 05:20 PM »

But a kite that is designed to just fly smooth will benefit from a lighter line most noticeable.

Glen, this you be you and your PDSUL.  I only fly mine on 50# line. 
kite_pilot

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 07:43 PM »

Glen, this you be you and your PDSUL.  I only fly mine on 50# line. 
hi mate,i think i will get some 50# lines soon and give them a go!
what length you like to use with pdsul wayner?
i have 75 and 100 feet lines atm!

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Wayner

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2014, 11:54 PM »

the PDSUL is a large big kite. 

I do both. But would recommend 100 foot lines.  It will give you a bigger wind window leaving you lots of room to fly her in. 
kite_pilot

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2014, 11:56 PM »

I do both. But would recommend 100 foot lines.  It will give you a bigger wind window leaving you lots of room to fly her in. 

in low winds though mate,the shorter lines would be better wouldnt they ?

Michel
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:43 AM »

Laser Pro 30 lbs x 120' for my Pro Dancer.
Wayner

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:20 PM »

in low winds though mate,the shorter lines would be better wouldnt they ?

Line length gives you different options.

Longer lines add weight & drag  Many times this is offset by stronger wind at larger heights (talked about in your wind meter post)

A longer leash increases the size of your play box "'the wind window"   Grin
An example would be using a remote control car in a small room.  Moving to street would give you more space. A large open parking lot would  be ideal.  A smaller play area will keep you busy flying you kite as well.  There is no right answer on line length & I fly my PDSUL on both 75 & 100 feet. I prefer 100 because of the extra time and space it provides.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:11 AM »

I never flew my PDSUL on less than 100' (except indoors, of course). Just too big a kite for short lines. The amount of drive from that big sail means line weight and length isn't a big deal like on smaller kites.

My main issue with 50# line is it doesn't take as many wraps without binding. It is also more fragile in general, more likely to get weak spots and break, but that hasn't been an issue in years. I just don't use it in anything above maybe 4 MPH and don't abuse it.

I fly full size kites almost exclusively on 90# these days, even in no wind. Smaller kites get the shorter/lighter line.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Wayner

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 09:38 AM »

My main issue with 50# line is it doesn't take as many wraps without binding.

The new Laser Gold Pro is much smoother and does not bind. Great stuff.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document