GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 06:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: flying while seated possible  (Read 774 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 08, 2014, 11:09 PM »

hey guys,
this might sound a lame dumb a$$ stupid thing but i always get a sore lower back after 10-15 mins of flying and as i do not do tricks,just pattern flying was wandering your thoughts on sitting down while flying ?
i could buy a swivel light weight office chair on wheels and and just use the seat part,get rid of the back rest to cut down on weight transport/manageability e.c.t
i wonder if this could be possble ?
thanks
glen
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 11:50 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2014, 11:45 PM »

The wind has to be stronger than normal when one flies sitting down.

Did it myself when I had an Achilles tendon injury many years ago.

I've seen several other people fly seated also.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
kite_pilot

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 11:54 PM »

The wind has to be stronger than normal when one flies sitting down.

Did it myself when I had an Achilles tendon injury many years ago.

I've seen several other people fly seated also.  Smiley
hi john,well thats good to know! Wink
may be i buy myself a seat of some sort and give it a go!
if i were into slack line tricks this would not be possible but seeing i just fly loops/patterns should be ok to take a seat and enjoy the ride,lol! Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 12:30 AM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 04:12 AM »

Try it...remember that you will be limiting your physical movement ability.....so if you need to give a lot of slack quickly instead of running forward just drop your lines....
My old shop had a yearly workshop with a handicap school.... The guys loved it. We even had one guy who flew by holding a specialized rod in his mouth to control the kite...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
SparkieRob

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 04:59 AM »

Would a seat strapped to the back of a golf cart count....?

There are some back support straps that might help. The ones the people at Bunnings wear. Also try some core strengthening exercises. Got to take care of your back.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 05:10 AM »

I know of people who fly from those motorize scooters as they cannot easily walk around. However, keep in mind that talking a few steps forward and/or backward is part of flying stunt kites.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Captainbob

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 05:19 AM »

Flying a Rev while seated is no problem.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 09:54 AM »

Flying a Rev while seated is no problem.

yep  Grin

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 10:20 AM »

this movie (not mine) is impressive (includes a crazycopter, yofade, deadlaunch, ...):

Laid back kite flyingSE.wmv

Krijn
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:38 AM »

yes ... I occasionally crossed to the dark side

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 09:50 AM »

The way James & I were flying, you've still got a free hand for a beverage.  Wink

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
kite_pilot

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 09:17 PM »

well i may just consider buying a a swivel light weight office chair on wheels and try it out!
thanks for the ideas guys! Wink

dragonfish

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, 09:19 PM »

A lot of people bring camp chairs to the field (usually for taking a break or sitting around and chatting though).  You can see several examples in the pictures posted above.  They are pretty easy to fold up and transport, although I can see how the armrests could potentially get in the way if you are trying to fly a dualie.  Not sure what would be the advantage of using an office chair with wheels, because I don't think you will be able to use them to move around on a beach or grass field. 
kite_pilot

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 10:31 PM »

wont be getting a seat with arm chairs to get in the way.
also the "swivel" chair idea is you can follow the kite the edge of the window and back.
as for the wheels may need to fit large wheels to the office chair to be of any use!
cheers
glen

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 11:27 PM »

We called them sheepherder stools, the original folding chairs. Three legged stools. You can still find traditional ones with leather seats and wooden legs and modern versions using aluminium and cordura. Even ones with a back. They won't have arms so you're not impeding your arm movement and they will force you to naturally sit more upright in a better posture, that is on one of these you tend to sit upright with your feet back under you. A tall enough one would make the transition from sitting to standing pretty easy. One of them might take enough weight off to ease your lower back pains while not encouraging continued poor posture. In the position you sit on them you will continue leaning and twisting to some extent which will help strengthen your lower back muscles and abs, hopefully soon you'll find you don't need it anymore. The Travelchair looks pretty nice and inexpensive.

http://bit.ly/1quyLw8

« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 11:49 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change