GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 02:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 360 degree rotation trick  (Read 431 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 09, 2014, 05:18 PM »

hey fellow kiters,
i saw mark reed in one of his dvd's do a full 360 degree rotation,meaning he walked in a 360 degree circle with this kite! = wow Cheesy
can this be done with any brand kite or lite wind only ?
gotta keep the kite low ?,any other tricks to doing one ?
have alot of you guys tried this trick before ?
cheers
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2014, 05:52 PM »

A 360 is pretty much dead easy in no wind, with a very light kite. Any wind at all makes it harder. The more wind, the faster you have to move away from it

Indoors it's like a parking move. When you need to stop thinking about what the kite is doing aand plan your next moves, you just start walking it in a 360
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 05:53 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2014, 06:14 PM »

I did it once. That was enough  I prefer to walk forward and backward if I absolutely have to
Have fun Kurt
ps Marco used to do it all of the time .That was all the exercise I needed
PSS Marco! where the ##***## are you??
 PSSS Mr. Reed makes everything look easy
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 06:21 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Dano

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2014, 07:54 PM »

I'm with Kurt on this topic...
Once was enough for me too.   Cheesy
SparkieRob

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2014, 08:24 PM »

I've never made a full 360 rotation with a dual but could do it all day with a Rev. It definitely is a light to no wind trick. Unless you're prepared to run! It's a stall, with a little direction. You are pulling it around in a circle. If you can stall and side slide your kite decently, that's pretty much all you need. Not sure about the "don't take faster steps, take bigger ones" advice yet. Haven't tried that. When I fly my Rev Indoor outside it is just a s-l-o-w walk around.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
kite_pilot

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2014, 08:52 PM »

thanks for your info fella's! Wink
i reackon it looks pretty cool when its done!
cheers
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2014, 08:58 PM »

how much you "run" is relative to the kite. First there has to be no wind then if you can keep the kite in the air walking backwards then you just do it in a circle.
ymmv

Sine Metu!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2014, 09:13 PM »

In zero wind your 4d or your pdsul are great kites for 360s. 4d on short lines, pd on long ones. In really still air you can pretty easily walk a pdsul around on 100' lines.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kite_pilot

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2014, 09:18 PM »

In zero wind your 4d or your pdsul are great kites for 360s. 4d on short lines, pd on long ones. In really still air you can pretty easily walk a pdsul around on 100' lines.
cool,thanks thats good to know mate! Wink

jaydub

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2014, 10:51 PM »

It was a 360 degree side slide and wasn't it John Welden who was the flyer performing the trick?

360s are hard enough.  I can barely side slide, so this is one trick that is beyond any of my realistic expectations.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2014, 05:27 AM »

seconding Allen on this one. The PDSUL is my dead wind night fly kite. At events with crowds when you walk a 360 on 75-100ft lines, the looks you get are astounding haha. Works like a charm.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
RobB

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2014, 07:05 AM »

It was a 360 degree side slide and wasn't it John Welden who was the flyer performing the trick?

360s are hard enough.  I can barely side slide, so this is one trick that is beyond any of my realistic expectations.

Yes, the 360 side slide is the trick to die for. 360s aren't too hard (after 2 I'm winded) but the 360 side slide... no bobbles...   WOW !

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2014, 07:07 AM »

I have a few videos regarding 360s:

1st with the scalpel sul speedkite Smiley

https://vimeo.com/51822427

And 2nd with the Wraith indoor kite, it shows a lot of of nice and "simple" no wind stuff you can also do outside. including a 360er sideslide.

https://vimeo.com/82510838
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2014, 08:42 AM »

In very light wind, 360s are a great way to gain ground. Some very floaty kites can be glided back down wind if you've backed up too far on the field, but heavier kites don't glide much and you need to either land and walk the kite back down wind or use some energy to fly it back upwind.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum