GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 06:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Promoting thru videos...  (Read 491 times)
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 10, 2014, 07:14 AM »

I wanted to throw in my 2 centavos and say that I love all of the pics and videos that are produced illustrating the flying talents of our members here. Your videos are two-fold... They allow newbie pilots like me to see various flying techniques and increase our piloting knowledge, but most of all, your videos promote kiting. You may not be aware but when a kiting video of any kind is placed on a social medium such as here on this forum, YouTube or Vimeo, the promotion of kiting in general is vast and immeasurable.

For over a year I flew single-line kites and enjoyed it greatly. But when I saw Ray Bethell's video Romancing The Wind on Youtube, it inspired me to get into the dual-line sport kite world.

I shoot and produce videos not to promote me but to promote my hobbies which kiting is one. They're not the best vids but who cares. I'm doing all I can to promote kiting. So, who knows... someday... someone may watch a video and get inspired. It is my humble opinion that everyone keep shooting as much video as you can and produce a number of videos whether it's just you, the camera and a tripod or a full multi-camera production. You're doing more for the promotion of kiting than you think.

If I see enough Quad vids, I may get into flying Quads too.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 07:30 AM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:19 AM »

Hey Trip,
I watched every kite video I could find, and found just about everyone helpful in one way or another. No one flies by me, and learning how to do tricks was very frustrating. If it weren't for all the videos out there, I'd still be flying circles, figure 8s, and stalling on the side of the wind window.
I posted a number of videos in hopes they may help someone else, and to show others where I fly.
~Rob.

Jorge Gouverneur
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:55 AM »

I'm like Rob. I learned stunt kites by watching videos. Now I get to create my own videos. I do it for fun and also helps me see the things I did wrong.  Keep on posting videos.  Smiley

Jorge.
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 04:32 PM »

I agree, I've learned a ton by watching these videos, especially when the pilot is in the shot.

My goal will be to try and post one by the end of the summer.  I have 3 weeks straight @ the beach with constant winds!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 04:42 PM by DMF » Logged
BrianS
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 08:32 PM »

I posted a number of videos in hopes they may help someone else, and to show others where I fly.
~Rob.

FYI, Rob, I'm pretty sure that I've watched two of your videos more than 100 times each. So, there's at least one person out there who appreciates your efforts. Wink Thanks for taking the time to make and post them!
Ara Ararauna
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 11:10 PM »

Hey Trip,
I watched every kite video I could find, and found just about everyone helpful in one way or another. No one flies by me, and learning how to do tricks was very frustrating. If it weren't for all the videos out there, I'd still be flying circles, figure 8s, and stalling on the side of the wind window.

Same here!  Shocked

Thanks to ALL for posting videos!!!!   Cheesy    Cheesy    Cheesy

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 11:37 PM »

I'm a slow learner.  Glad to have access to these videos they have helped me  alot.
Trip

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 06:04 AM »

Hey Trip,
~Rob.

As you can see in my last video, that's all I'm doing right now is flying circles, figure 8's and stalling on the side of the window. I'm now focusing on learning how to have more control over my kite and learn some tricks. It takes time tho when you're learning on your own. I'm sure everyone goes through this. That's why videos are so helpful.  

Robert "Trip" Hilliard

Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 10:59 AM »

As you can see in my last video, that's all I'm doing right now is flying circles, figure 8's and stalling on the side of the window. I'm now focusing on learning how to have more control over my kite and learn some tricks. It takes time tho when you're learning on your own. I'm sure everyone goes through this. That's why videos are so helpful.  

As your learning the basics, it is a good time to develop some kite control skills that will help when you start doing tricks.

Moving your feet is important in trick flying.  A good practice is to fly a square with the purpose of keep the kite at the same speed.  When pointed down walk forward to slow it down. When climbing up, walk back to speed the normally slow climb.

Practice both pull and push turns. To turn left either pull with the left or push the right hand forward.  Push turns create a squared turn vs. the carved pull turn. A good push turn is a fast jab.  Practice with both hands at your chest then punch one hand forward and quick return back. 

in your Quantum video several sharp turns stalled the kite.  Practice with turns of different sizes.  A tight quick turn can lead to stalling the kite.  Then walking forward can keep it stalled.  Practice at different parts of the wind window.

Being creative can add a lot of fun while increase your kite control and skills. So keep flying and keep making videos  Grin
Trip

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 12:22 PM »

Good advice Wayner..... will do.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 12:27 PM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change