GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 12:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: prevent " walk of shame "  (Read 788 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 10, 2014, 02:33 PM »

hi guys,
is it possble some how to get kite in air when its on its belly on the ground and not having the to do the walk of shame ?
how is this done with out dragging the guts out of her ?
thanks
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:08 PM »

Top of the line sport kites had an add on accessory that was a spring loaded kickstand... And some prism kites can do a dead launch.... Beyond that it is all about technique

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 03:10 PM »

Kites that lay flat on a floor (no forward curvature to the leading edges)

are harder to "dead launch".

Tall grass makes it harder to dead launch a kite.

If the kite is on its belly and pointing at you, and you don't care about

your kite, you can do a double pump, with the 2nd pump being longer

in duration and less impact than the first pump.

The first abrupt pump is to raise the nose of the kite a few inches.

Then the 2nd, longer pump (followed by walking backwards) should

cause the kite nose to lift and you can now fly the kite.

I use to work on the dead launch. Even when I would get a good launch,

I would wince for the kite. Now, I just walk to the kite and set it up.

If the kite is not pointed right at you, you can walk sideways a bit and

then you will be looking a bit at the back end of the kite and you can use

the more forgiving cartwheel recovery.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Captainbob

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 04:52 PM »

I was told by a very experienced kite pilot, that if I want to learn dead launches, to make sure I carry a lot of spare parts with me, to repair the kite, because I will probably need them. 

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 05:24 PM »

The rock-on kite has a sort of loop in the front that I suppose you could add to your kite if you felt like experimenting.

You will find that over time, this happens less often. 

If you are flying on sand, there is another trick that you can use that is easier to learn than the dead-launch (I think).

6 kite tom
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 06:36 PM »

You will get to the point where you just don't get into that situation all that often. You learn what to do and what not to do. The main time I end up that way these days is when I'm not paying attention.

Use the "stroll of contemplation" to think about the error of your ways, then check all the fittings to make sure nothing has come loose before you relaunch. Spars getting loose is the main cause of kite damage, especially when learning new stuff and landing hard.

Allen, AKA kitehead
kiteking
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2014, 01:53 AM »

"stroll of contemplation"

is that what I see you doing at kite party?

"Wind to your back, Kite in the sky."

MikeM
Brookings, OR  - KP 4-11

#518  -    #110883 -

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2014, 05:23 AM »

Theres a way to get the kite up, a dead launch as people have said. Its hard on the kite and you'd need a kite with LEs that bow up just a bit at the end of the tips. This helps. Maybe get an old fanatic and learn on that.

The beach DL is actually quite simple. But its not a DL haha. Pull the kite towards you and walk back, which will burry the nose. Pull one wing almost all the way towards you with the nose buried. Then tension the opposite line (far wing) and the kite will rise up and onto its LE, with the spine facing you. Let the kite fall towards you and pull both hands like you're rolling the kite up. Boom, you're off again.

Good luck!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2014, 05:51 AM »

I'd +1 what CaptainBob mentioned. I've seen people jerk and hank kites across the ground in a effort to launch them from their bellies. This is just asking for something to break.

Also as mentioned, as a person gets better at flying they won't see many times when the kite "lands" on it's belly.

Take the extra minutes or so to walk out to the kite and "check the bridle" when it lands belly down.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
Trip

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 06:26 AM »

Being a newbie, I've done my share of performing the walk of shame. In my case, it's the talk of shame too. I tend to drop f-bombs during my walk.

Just last weekend I was thinking what could be done to launch a kite laying 85 ft. in front of me on it's belly. I tried jerking on the strings but realized the harm and quit. I'll do what has been suggested by Allen and contemplate how to not let it happen in the future.

My hats off to kite_pilot for asking the questions that I'm afraid to ask.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 07:08 AM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 07:00 AM »

Yeah, doing something, anything, when the kite is about to hit the ground or before it flops onto its belly is the thing. Having the presence of mind to make it crash different or to not let it get blown over at the edge of the window or whatever. It takes time, but it becomes second nature. This may be one of the reason people like short lines when learning, and are comfortable with 120' lines later on.  Smiley

And yes, Mike you have seen me do this at Kite Party. Flying in a crowd offers so many distractions that I tend to "land" badly more often. Or stand there chatting with the kite in launch position and let it tip too far forward...   Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
Trip

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 07:13 AM »

When I went flying last weekend, the winds in ETexas were swirling. Winds would blow out of the North, then West and South.

After setting up my kite and walking to my stake, the wind would come from behind and blow my kite onto it's belly. Then, I would just lay the kite onto it's back and while I'm walking to my stake a crosswind would blow it over.

Finally gave up and went to the pub.  Grin

Once in the air, I probably could have flown a 360 Side Slide without even trying.  Cheesy

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Captainbob

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 07:14 AM »

When I went flying last weekend, the winds in ETexas were swirling. Winds would blow out of the North, then West and South.

After setting up my kite and walking to my stake, the wind from come from behind and blow my kite onto it's belly. Then, I would just lay the kite onto it's back and while I'm walking to my stake a crosswind would blow it over.

Finally gave up and went to the pub.  Grin

Once in the air, I probably could have flown a 360 Side Slide without even trying.  Cheesy

Happens all the time where I live.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
jecko

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 08:14 AM »

Dead launch helps but depends on the ground.

The best way to prevent walk of shame is to fly more and practice. In time you'll be able to control the kite and prevent it from landing belly down, nose towards you.

:-)
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 12:56 PM »

The walk of shame is your penance. You're supposed to hate it so you practice more so you don't have to it.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum