GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 12:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ballet/free style term  (Read 291 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 10, 2014, 02:37 PM »

can you guys please explain what the kite term "ballet" and "free style" mean ?
cheers
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 03:03 PM »

Ballet is a term I would use for an event in a kite competition.

The pilot flies to a (often modified) song which usually lasts about 3 minutes. (There are limits)

The judges score the "routine" based on how well they feel the kite

matched the fast/slow/loud/soft sections of the music.

Typically, movie soundtracks are used as there are more dynamics than a typical pop or rock song.

I did have fun once performing to "The Walls Came Down". Didn't do well, but I had fun.

Free style is less formal. And I am not expert enough to define that term for you. Just think of

yourself as doing what you want, when you want in a combination of tricks and figures, but mostly tricks.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Kareloh
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, 01:34 AM »

Well, at the Europale Cup in France we flew a freestyle format. Judges just gave point for 2 things: Technique and Style. So no pre difined tricklists or figures. Just Fly to music and show your skill. Doing lot's of combo's and freestyle flow would score high on Tech, but lower on Style if it wasn't realy timed to te music.

In Holland and Belgium we do competitions using the Tricksparty format. In the morning Imposed Tricks: everybody needs to fly 4 tricks chosen from a which is availabe long before the comp. You get 2 minutes, 2 tries per trick. 2nd try get's only a percentage of the score.

After the Lunchbreak we fly the ballets. Everybody sends in a list (2 versions, strong/light wind) of tricks a week before the comp (max 9 tricks, same trick can be done twice) and the music (3 minutes) on CD. These tricks are on the judges scoring card and they only have to score bad, average, good, excellent. Before startin you're allowed to change 2 tricks (based on wind conditions) You fly to music and incorporate these tricks into the ballet. You can do more tricks and/or unlisted combo's between the tricks on the list. You'll get stylepoints (and risktaking) for that as well.

It's a very nice format.

Then there's also Freestyle Battle or TrickOut: 2 pilots each round, 2 or 3 times 30 seconds each of tricking. We always let the rest of the competitors decide who wins the round. Can be done with judges as well. Winner advances to next round (knock out system) until only 2 pilots are left for the final round. Also a lot of fun to fly and perfect for spectators.

Outside of comps: for me freestyle is just flying whatever you like. Doing long series of tricks/combo's and flying figures.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 11:39 AM »

I've known people who are excellent trick flyers. They can execute technically perfect moves like a machine, just like on the great trick videos. So much effort is put into executing difficult tricks that there is not much in the way of interpretation, variety or personalization. This tends to be repetitive, but really impressive if you grok what they are trying to do.

...and others who are excellent freestyle flyers. Often these freestyle flyers are highly advanced at tricks, but they bring more to the table, sometimes because of a level of experience and hours (decades) on the lines but often just because they like to do things their own way. They have a style. You can watch the kite and know there's more going on than - Trick A - Trick B - Trick C - Trick B, Trick B, Trick B, etc... Sometimes it's what the kite does between tricks. Actual flying. Sometimes it's the way a trick is performed. A bit different than expected, maybe faster or slower or an extra half rotation. One of the big aspects of this is the way things flow one to the next. Free form. Freestyle. Getting out of your head and just kite flying.

Ballet would generally mean performing a choreographed, planned routine to music in competition. I fly to music all the time, and the kite moves to the music,  but rarely in a pre-planned way. Certainly the skills i learned from competition ballet flying are used, but it's more like just kite dancing. The kite expresses the music through movement. My favorite thing to do with a kite. Sort of freestyle to music. Some competitions have a Mystery Ballet, where the flyer has no idea what music is going to come out of the PA. You have to just go with whatever plays. Big Fun!

Allen, AKA kitehead
kite_pilot

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 09:20 PM »

thanks fella's for your explainations on the 2 kite terms ballet and free style!

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
David Kirk

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 01:18 PM »

Thank god not everybody flies to boring movie soundtracks! Emmalee flew ballet to nothing but pop tunes and it worked for her. The first song she ever flew ballet to was Low Rider by War, recently voted the best cowbell song ever. She picked it from CD's that happened to be in my truck that day and she had never flown to it before. She did well in experienced ballet flying to Britney spears.  Roll Eyes
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 02:14 PM »

I flew for two seasons to Santana's Incident at Neshabur.

I gotta say, bad kite music was one of the things that sort of killed competition.

Every now and then a co-worker will get a chuckle out of the "Novice Ballet" trophy I have by my desk. Brings to mind hippos in tutus.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document