GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 08:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Benson "deep space"  (Read 1243 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 10, 2014, 02:49 PM »

just been looking at the Benson site! Grin
wow,what beautiful quality made kites!!!
like the look of the gemini but prefer to have the deep space!
the ultralite version has a amazing wind range of 1-15 mph,better than my new pro dancer i got recently!
what are your thoughts on the deep space please?
good looking kite i must say,has very narrow wing tip look!
thanks in advance guys
cheers
glen
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 02:53 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 02:56 PM »

You must always take the stated wind range of a kite with the proverbial "grain of salt".

Factors that can change the wind range of a kite:
  Skill of pilot
  Altitude above sea level
  Temperature
  Humidity
  Obstructions
  Smoothness of wind

No UL is going to fly in 1 mph wind unless the pilot is moving his/her feet and

always looking for the direction (which often changes when the wind is low).

Walk forward at 1.5 feet/sec (slow pace). That is how much wind the kite is feeling.

It's very small.

The Benson UL will not fly in less wind than a Pro Dancer.

I like the Benson UL, but do not be fooled into thinking you or I could fly it in 1 mph winds

without a lot of work.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 03:21 PM »

Also consider what definition of flying is used.
Keep the kite in the air and hammer out some tricks?
Or have the kite fly under his own power?
The difference between those can be easily several mph wide in practice.
Variant 1 uses a lot of pumping the kite up, do your tricks and repeat.
That will make the kite seem to be able to be flown in less wind then it can actually fly.
Why? Because you don''t really fly the kite, you keep it in the air until you can toss it around for the next trick.
While having the kite fly under his own power at low winds is much more demanding on the kite and pilot. Because you need to generate the lift and drive out of the existing wind instead of just pumping the kite up.

The Deepspace ul is more of a type 1, while the pro dancer is more of a type 2 kite.
Captainbob

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 04:50 PM »

Also consider what definition of flying is used.
Keep the kite in the air and hammer out some tricks?
Or have the kite fly under his own power?
The difference between those can be easily several mph wide in practice.
Variant 1 uses a lot of pumping the kite up, do your tricks and repeat.
That will make the kite seem to be able to be flown in less wind then it can actually fly.
Why? Because you don''t really fly the kite, you keep it in the air until you can toss it around for the next trick.
While having the kite fly under his own power at low winds is much more demanding on the kite and pilot. Because you need to generate the lift and drive out of the existing wind instead of just pumping the kite up.

The Deepspace ul is more of a type 1, while the pro dancer is more of a type 2 kite.

I love things that fly. I flew aircraft as a pilot, also RC aircraft, RC Helicopters, etc. When I see some kite videos that show one trick after another after another, it does nothing for me, because the kite almost never is really flying. It is just getting yanked around in the air, almost always in a stall.  Nothing of interest to me. 

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
tgeorgo
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 06:06 PM »

The Deep Space is an amazing kite if you are into freestyle. It is a little quirky and unpredictable but has amazing beautiful loft/hang. Where other kites drop the DS will float and spin sometimes gaining altitude when you'd think it should fall. It is more like improvisational jazz and less like a ballet.

One of my favorite kites for sure.

Aloha,
T
tarheel

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 06:22 PM »

I got a used Deep Space on this forum from a first class member.
It is an awesome kite.  You will love it every time you fly.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 06:30 PM »

Deep space is a great kite. I was fortunate to get the first UL in the U.S. when it was still a prototype, but at what ended up being the production configuration. I've flown the kite from 1-15mph, but it's best range is 2-10. In 2 it needs lots of effort to keep i the air, like any tricky UL, and at 10 it starts to get pretty fast. Even though I enjoyed the UL, I like the standard version more. It's in my top five modern kites. Really great.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Frazer
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 07:34 PM »

Deep space is a great kite. I was fortunate to get the first UL in the U.S. when it was still a prototype, but at what ended up being the production configuration. I've flown the kite from 1-15mph, but it's best range is 2-10. In 2 it needs lots of effort to keep i the air, like any tricky UL, and at 10 it starts to get pretty fast. Even though I enjoyed the UL, I like the standard version more. It's in my top five modern kites. Really great.

This is said kite

It 'aint ever leaving my bag

-Frazer
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 08:25 PM by Frazer » Logged
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 09:11 PM »

"quirky and unpredictable". I definitely dont agree.
Go watch Benson's trick or treat video. An amazing kite imho. I have an ul, std and vented.

Sine Metu!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 11:34 PM »

As John stated Web site specs don't mean anything  its what you can do with the kite that matters. 

Here is an visual: Does it matter what the cornering specs are for this motorcycle driven by this pilot. What is important is what you can do riding it!

Another example: A friend told me how fast her new BMW 2 seater was.  I said let's use a upcoming 5 mile canyon of twisty roads to find out. In less than 2 miles my Chevy pickup was up the road and out of site.  Noone would say a pickup is faster than a sports car.  We had different skills.  The only real comparison would be one person driving both vehicles.

There a many flyers who can fly and do tricks in wind that I can not even keep that kite in the air. Their skills are better than mine.  The only wind range comparison is by the same person flying different kites.

So from my kite bag I can fly the shadow, WMUL & freestylist UL fly in less wind than my deep space UL. My Talon and Zepher need more. I love my deep space while it needs a little more wind, it will also rolls up better than the three lower wind kites, but not as well as the higher wind ULs. So lower wind range often means lower abilities in some areas.

Remember, No  one kite will do it all and their is no perfect kite.  Just go out and fly what you have.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:19 AM by Wayner » Logged
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 12:14 AM »

I agree with everything above....

Technically, my Widow Maker UL will fly in 0 to 10 mph winds.  In 0 winds, you have to run backwards like mad and keep it moving constantly....better have a ton of stamina.

Keeping the kite in the air in 1 mph winds is totally different than enjoying flying in 1 mph winds.  In that wind range, I would take the pro dancer over the deepspace UL...and my Widowmaker UL.

Hadge

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 12:27 AM »

Great kite, amazing build quality and in the right hands one of the best trick kites out there but has a very definate 'Benson' style of flying.  It likes to keep moving, flowing from one trick into the next, it doesn't like pauses. The biggest problem for me was that it has a pretty shallow backflip and if you don't have the right technique any backflip/rotational trick can end in tip wraps - at least it did for me, can be a bit twitchy too. Seems to like steady breezes more than the rough inland winds I get.  The UL is more 'floaty' that the standard and while Tim Benson may be able to get it to fly down to 1mph in the sea breezes of a Devon beach, I suspect mere mortals may struggle. If you can master the Benson style of flying it's an amazing kite...I couldn't and sold it.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Bob D

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2014, 03:56 AM »

Everything everyone is saying about the difficulty flying in really low wind is true. The only people who can really make it work are the real experts. I have to feel it on the back of my neck to fly. If I can't feel it I'm probably not flying. My DS standard is one of my favorite kites. I agree with the shallow back flip thought - it's really hard to get right. I've had the kite for years but I don't fly it for the back flip trick/rotational tricks. It does nice cascades and roll ups. Slots and 540s are there too. If the DS UL flies anything like the standard except in lower wind it's a nice kite. (The DS has a nice low end too so I'm not sure how much more you get out of the UL.)

Bob D.
kite_pilot

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2014, 09:24 PM »

i luv the fact that the benson range has a curved leading edge which i luv the look of!
the sail looks nice and firmly made and sown!
210 pounds is worth every bit i say!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 09:38 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2014, 09:52 PM »

i luv the fact that the benson range has a curved leading edge which i luv the look of!
the sail looks nice and firmly made and sown!
210 pounds is worth every bit i say!

Time to pick out colors  Grin
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum