GWTW Forum
November 26, 2014, 05:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dual Line New Flyer... What to Practice?  (Read 849 times)
basicbill
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 14, 2014, 06:43 PM »

Is there a suggested series of dual line kite maneuvers to practice in a certain order to build proficiency? I don't mind lots of practice on one particular thing before moving on. I just don't know what those maneuvers might be and in what order.

Thanks,

Bill

SparkieRob

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 07:28 PM »

Dodd Gross has a heap of free tutorials on YouTube. From basics to master. I am getting a lot from the "Six step system" at the moment. It's got picture in picture, and slow mo stuff.

But if you just want to fly, practice:
Ground recoveries, very good learning in the beginning.
Punch turns, where you push one hand forward and turn around a stalled wing. The return back to straight flight, neutral, is key.
Pull turns, the same as above except pulling on a wing to power up that wing.
Stalls. Practice stalls. They are key to most tricks. If you can stall well then everything else won't take as long.

I found doing figures helped with turns and straight lines. Fly a square, octagon, even figure 8's. Do them in both directions too.

Learning is as fun as you want to make it. If it starts to get a little "go hum" do some carving to get a smile back...

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:00 PM »

I agree, learn to feel the kite and be completely comfortable and in full control wherever it is in the window.

To me, the mother of all tricks is the half-axel.  Those inputs are the basics for everything from the comete to the taz.  Fly across,  sharp 180 degree half axel, and then do the same on the other side. 

If you can cleanly do this, then most other tricks will come relatively easily. 

6 kite tom
tarheel
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 08:05 PM »

The Dodd Gross videos are a terrific resource.  I have learned much from them.  The Six Steps in particular is a good place to start.

Life is too short to drink cheap beer.
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 02:11 AM »

+1 to all the above.  Dodd's tutorials are a great place to start - they taught me a lot when I was starting out.

Dodd's Six Step system

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 08:47 AM »

I love Dodd's tutorials. Great video. It's time for me to pick up the lines on my duals again.

Quick question, what are the kites he is flying in his 6 steps video? That is exactly the kind of sail layout I like. A curvy, flowing and color variated design. I know it's probably been out of build for years. I think that's why I like the Talon sail so much. Similar characteristics. Just curious.
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 08:54 AM »

Dodds videos are great.  If you have an experienced flyer to fly with would be helpful.

Just flying and trying all the things that you see in the videos.  My method, trial and error and knowing how to put the kite on the ground without breaking something.
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 08:55 AM »

Dodd mentions the kites while he flies,  Dynamite and M80 if I'm not mistaken.
Tmadz

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 08:58 AM »

Oh. Thanks. I was skipping through the video again.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 11:36 AM »

Quick question, what are the kites he is flying in his 6 steps video? That is exactly the kind of sail layout I like. A curvy, flowing and color variated design. I know it's probably been out of build for years. I think that's why I like the Talon sail so much. Similar characteristics. Just curious.

Dodd now designs kites for Skydog kites if you want to check our his kites now in production. 
Tmadz

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 12:13 PM »

Dodd now designs kites for Skydog kites if you want to check our his kites now in production.
Yep. I was just interested in the old sail design more so than the newer ones.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 03:45 PM »

To me I don't like the NTK videos at all. Flight school back in the 90s seemed to set better with me and thats how I started to progress. After comparing them side by side I prefer the 1st editions.

Welcome to kiting! For me practicing corners and speed control seems to hit the spot. Speed espijcally with a sharp entry and exit in and out of corners with no speeding up or slowing down. This carries over moreso into tricking. Unless its in a stall, its always going somewhere so I try to focus on that. Also just flying with confidence. I always tell people to master the 'I meant to do that' face. Fly with conviction and the more sure of yourself you are, the easier it will be to try to learn new things. Just my 2 cents from a bit more of a mental approach.

Enjoy!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 12:35 PM »

Stall - Stall - Stall

Then everything else ... stalling anywhere in the window - quckly and cleanly.

APJ

The three levels of kite flying:

1. The Kite controls YOU.
2. You control the Kite.
3. THe kite and you are ONE.

Wink

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
basicbill

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 01:35 PM »

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I've got to find some information on stalls.

Bill

Hadge

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 01:50 PM »

Thanks for the tips everyone.

I've got to find some information on stalls.

Bill

This is a good place to start!  Wink

http://prismkites.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1213810335

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum