GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 10:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which sport kite?  (Read 608 times)
Ferio
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 15, 2014, 01:00 PM »

Hi Guys,

I used to be an experienced kiter but it's been a few years.

What are the brands to go with these days? I've read some topics here but there's so much choice. If you could select just one, which would it be?

As for wind it's usually around 4-17kp/h, but I live close to the sea, so there ofcourse is more.

Got about 200-300 euro to spend.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 11:45 PM by Ferio » Logged
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:56 PM »

What did you fly before? What sort of flying did yo u like?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 08:59 PM »

The bunch over at fractured axel speaks highly of the vented cosmic. Not sure of the price.
I have a vented deep space and like it.

Sine Metu!
Ferio

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 11:43 PM »

What did you fly before? What sort of flying did yo u like?

I can't remember the name. It's been about 8 years but it was black with red (about 280 euro) if I remember correct. Had a few though.

I like to do all sorts of tricks but the other thing I like is some power in them. I don't have to slide over the fields, but atleast to feel that there's something on the other side of the line. My weight is 85kg.

A combination of both would be nice.

The bunch over at fractured axel speaks highly of the vented cosmic. Not sure of the price.
I have a vented deep space and like it.

I think I found their website but they are closed?

It is with sadness and disappointment that Craig and I must announce that we are closing the FA Shop. Unfortunately, in the current climate it's not viable to keep it running. We'd like to take this opportunity to thank all our customers and supporters. It's been a great few years being able to supply you with your kites, spares and supplies. Thanks, Andy and Craig
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:47 PM by Ferio » Logged
Wayner

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 12:01 AM »

I think I found their website but they are closed?

Sad to hear that Sad
Hadge

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 12:27 AM »

The shop has closed but the forum is still very active.  If you wanted something like the Cosmic Vented you can get them direct through Kitehouse.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ferio

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 01:20 AM »

A talon from jest of eve looks really nice...  How to get ahold of one of these as the website is not available anymore?
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 01:53 AM »

A talon from jest of eve looks really nice...  How to get ahold of one of these as the website is not available anymore?

Your only chance to get a Talon is buying a used one -  JoE is no longer making kites.  They do come up occasionally in the swap/meet.

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Ferio

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 01:57 AM »

Your only chance to get a Talon is buying a used one -  JoE is no longer making kites.  They do come up occasionally in the swap/meet.

There's still some website in the US that supplies them. If JoE doesn't make them anymore, then I wonder how they can still offer them, even customs.

What other kites should I have a look at?
Hadge

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 02:04 AM »

There's still some website in the US that supplies them. If JoE doesn't make them anymore, then I wonder how they can still offer them, even customs.

In that case you may be lucky and there may be a dealer who has a couple left in stock -  but JoE aren't making any new/custom kites any more. ( though Mark did hint he might make an occasional one off in the future).

Ferio

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 02:53 AM »

In that case you may be lucky and there may be a dealer who has a couple left in stock -  but JoE aren't making any new/custom kites any more. ( though Mark did hint he might make an occasional one off in the future).

In the email he said he only got a vented one left, but it's not the one I'm looking for.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:13 PM by Ferio » Logged
Ferio

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 05:42 AM »

So the Talon is gone... how's a widowmaker for comparison?

Been reading also about Benson... seriously have no clue what to buy...  Huh
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 12:16 PM by Ferio » Logged
Wayner

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 04:34 PM »

So the Talon is gone... how's a widowmaker for comparison?

Been reading also about Benson... seriously have no clue what to buy...  Huh

The WM is a full size kite.  Like all full size kites they are slower, and have more pull. IMHO Have more control doing tricks.

Better matches are other smaller trick based kites. the Deep Space or Lams kites,  Tekken (my favorite), Fearless or ATM.  All these kites have a light a light pull, are quicker require less work to setup for tricks. But a fast tricky kite can be harder to control.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 04:44 PM by Wayner » Logged
Ferio

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 05:02 AM »

I have set my mind on a Benson superfly STD or UL. Anyone have experience with them?

I've read some reviews and so far all positive. Videos are looking good too.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document