GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 02:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bridal adjustment  (Read 693 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 15, 2014, 08:01 PM »

hi all,
just wanted to know what effect adjusting the bridal can have on a sport stunt kite ?
if you adjust the top section of the bridal tow point (angle) ? what does that do please ?
on the old gen top prism kites a few years back the bridals used to be real quality made material,my skyburner pro dancer the material not as good proberely due to keeping the kite lite as possible!
thanks
glen
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 10:58 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 01:46 AM »

http://www.iannewham.com/kitedesign/bridling.html

http://wardley.org/kites/bridle/index.html

kite_pilot

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 01:57 AM »

thanks ian! Wink
havnt seen the wardley site before!
cheers
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:59 AM »

Most good quality kites use sleeved,dyneema corded bridle line, however on some SUL's they do sometimes use dyneema flying line for the bridle to save a little weight. from experience, the problem with this is that the knots can slip ( HQ Shadow not PDSUL) but this can be sorted by rubbing a little Beeswax on the knots.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
kite_pilot

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 02:21 AM »

Most good quality kites use sleeved,dyneema corded bridle line, however on some SUL's they do sometimes use dyneema flying line for the bridle to save a little weight. from experience, the problem with this is that the knots can slip ( HQ Shadow not PDSUL) but this can be sorted by rubbing a little Beeswax on the knots.
hi mate,yeah exactly!
cheers
glen

Ara Ararauna

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 03:28 AM »

Hi,

A bridal adjustment is that which you should do when you are about to get married and you discover your "wife to be" has cheated on you.
Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy

In my bag...
Duals: NoName (NoBrand), Nexus (Prism), Soul (Flying Wings), Talon UL (JoE), LeQuartz (own build), Illusion Classic (Prism), Aura SUL custom (Skyburner), Sixth Sense STD (Krijn)
Singles: Conyne STD (my design)
Captainbob

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 04:12 AM »

Hi,

A bridal adjustment is that which you should do when you are about to get married and you discover your "wife to be" has cheated on you.
Cheesy   Cheesy   Cheesy
And getting a Pre-Nup...

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
kite_pilot

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2014, 02:30 PM »

QOUTE courtesy from ian newhams site below!

Tuning
In low wind:

nose forward will reduce the pull you feel but the kite will fly faster which helps it to stay aloft without working it. Good if you just want to stand still and let the kite fly itself. You can only go so far before the kite feels gutless and vague though.
nose back makes the kite slower but harder pulling giving you something to tug against if you'r going to fly the kite actively by pumping the lines and moving around.

In high wind:
nose forward can help reduce pull and stress on the frame, but a faster kite can start to generate extra pull due to so called 'apparent' wind due to its speed across the sail. It also reduces the window somewhat.
nose back it pulls hard but it more importantly it reduces the speed, so less apparent wind meaning there is a limit to the pull. With less speed things tend to be easier to control (if you can live with the pull). Your window is a bit wider too.

Personally I prefer nose back as far as I can get away with - I move around a lot so I find it easier to work a kite in low wind but my kite wouldn't stay in the air without being worked. In high wind I don't mind the pull so long as I keep the speed down giving me more control.
As ever play around and see what works for you.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 02:35 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2014, 04:29 PM »

And then you have the funny bunch of speedkites where it pretty goes the opposite. The more back the bridle, the faster they can go, if you can actually fly them.
kite_pilot

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2014, 07:35 PM »

i had a speek kite that was german made couple of years back and no matter what i tried or how strong the wind was i couldnt get the darn thing to fly and stay in the air so i sold it! Shocked
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 10:40 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 01:23 PM »

And then you have the funny bunch of speedkites where it pretty goes the opposite. The more back the bridle, the faster they can go, if you can actually fly them.

+ 1   Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum