GWTW Forum
October 31, 2014, 01:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best wind in learning to trick flying?  (Read 352 times)
Broady
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 18, 2014, 05:12 AM »

I fly inland and mainly fly in winds from 1-14mph.
Low end I fly my babytana and now can increase the top end as I've got a vented Tramontana

In 5mph plus I play with my DS or Sin, but last weekend I took the ds out in winds that were 2-5 mph and although it was harder work to remain airborne I found it was easier to see how the kite was reacting to everything and my axels were lots flatter.

So where should a novice be best placed with wind strength?
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 06:08 AM »

when you can hold a Fade without moving forward or backward

but some tricks are easier with a bit more pressure: rolling susan, rolling cascade, comete, ...

good luck!
Krijn
Broady

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 06:40 AM »

My fade is never staying there without me moving, and even then it likes to go and say hello to the ground. I am working on this though.
I'm only really trying to improve my axel, stall, slide and fade before I try to move on.
jaydub

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 08:33 AM »

Deep Space 4-5 mph; Sin 6 mph.

Basically, enough wind to support the kite in the air but still allow relatively slow tricking.  As the wind speed increases, you need to move more and have quicker reactions.

Worth trying shorter lines as well if you are at the bottom end of the wind range as you can see much better the impact of your actions on the kite.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 10:48 AM »

at those wind speeds an UL will be a joy to fly.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:30 PM »

ULs I prefer 3-5 and Standards I like 6-10 for tricking. Vents 11-15. Kite dependent.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
misterbleepy

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 02:57 PM »

Basically, enough wind to support the kite in the air but still allow relatively slow tricking.

this for me too - I prefer less than 10mph, as most of my favourite kites work best in less than that.

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
Broady

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 03:09 PM »

I would love an UL but I really doubt any new kites will be added to my collection for quite some time as funds are tight.
I really like the sin I go off jaydub a fair while ago now and would like the ul version one day...
I mainly fly on shorter lines (about 18m) as its no so far to walk when I get things wrong!
Thanks for the advice, I'll be out flying at the weekend again.
jaydub

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 04:25 PM »

I really like the sin I go off jaydub a fair while ago now and would like the ul version one day...

The Sin is an underrated kite.  No real vices trick wise. Glad you are enjoying it. Smiley
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 09:33 PM »

wind range is also affected by altitude and temperature.  Meaning that those that are flying on the ocean beach will have a different "sweet spot" for wind ranges than those flying in Denver (or other high altitude areas).  Even the humidity in the air will greatly affect the amount of wind you will need to fly for that "sweet spot".  That being said, the design of kite will also change the wind you will want to fly it in.

With that being said, it is nearly impossible to ask what someone else may consider the "best winds to fly in" and then take those winds for yourself.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change