GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 10:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ok, I already messed up on the forum and still need help  (Read 1013 times)
underthewind
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 18, 2014, 07:39 PM »

Hello, my name is Odessa, and before anyone asks YES, I'm a blonde  Roll Eyes
I tried to make a post, some of you have already seen it, but I didn't realize i was logged into my dad's account from when he used to post on here.
 So, I'm hoping the mod will scratch that thread, because it makes no sense , especially the part about my user name.
 So, I'm going to try again
My user name is from a joke my dad made. He would talk about wanting to get into the wind. I was having trouble getting my kite to fly and he said it was because I was too short, ha ha. That I'm under the wind instead of up in it where I need to be. I'm not THAT short.
 I haven't had many kites, mostly walmart junk. Dad and I tried to make a bunch of kites, but we always messed them up in some way or another, we never got one to fly and most of them looked real bad too.
  My dad just gave me his prism kite, its a snapshot, the first kit that ever put me on my butt. I'll post pics of me flying it when I can get them from mom's phone.  I really love this kite.
 But dad doesn't have one now.  Mom said she'd help me get him one for late father's day/early birthday. We know he's been wanting a Smithi for a really long time. The ginormous orange one with the black spider on it.
He never got one because something always comes up when he's getting ready to spend the money.
  Mom says we can't afford the spider kite.  Is there anything else that's a lot like it that would be better for somebody on a budget?  He's bored with the two line foil so its got to be a 4 line.  And the bigger it his the happier he will be.
  Any ideas on what we should look for?
 Thanks everybody
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:52 PM »

There is a smaller Smithi, the Smithi Pro.

It has the same incredible ability to fly like a framed quad as the Smithi.

Sadly, with the smaller size, you lose the spider and go to a more

traditional color scheme, there are several.

Here is a video comparing a Rev with a Smithi Pro.

For a foil, it's pretty darned amazing.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
underthewind

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 12:28 AM »

I have found all kinds of videos of the smithi pro, but can't seem to find any for sale.

Was looking at some videos of the flexifoil sting 2.4.  Mom is a little worried about Dad's back with something that pulls that hard.  Being as its designed for pulling, does it pull harder than the full size smithi? does its design effect how hard it pulls or is it all in the surface area?
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 12:53 AM »

Framed kites, dual or quad, pull much less than foils.

The typical sport kite is around 1 square meter of surface area.

With the frame, sport kites and quads have a much better lower

wind range and pull much less than the foils you are writing about.

Are you or your dad against getting a framed kite?

underthewind

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 04:57 AM »

every time we crashed the snapshot (and it happened a lot  Roll Eyes ), he said something about how glad he was that he hadn't bought a framed kite.
my first time flying the snapshot

trying to pull up, I can save it

Nope, guess I can't  Cheesy

he said he loved how hard it pulled when the wind was strong but he was always afraid it was going to rip or he was going to break a line.  He actually wished it pulled a little more. But from the videos I saw, the jump up in size makes it pull way more than a LITTLE more.
  The only thing I know of that he doesn't like about foils is that they are so quiet.  I remember when he first got into kites that he told me he always wanted a kite that was so big and loud that it scared people  Huh
 I told him to get one, lol.  He said he never did because he'd be afraid to crash it and not be able to afford to fix it or crash it so bad that he couldn't get another one.
etully
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 07:47 AM »

Framed kites, 2 line or 4, can take a lot of abuse...even the ULs.  Since you all are cutting your teeth with foils,  i really can't see any reason for you not to get a framed kite.  You won't bang them up as hard as you are now the snapshot.  I have a relatively new Prism Quantum, a great first kite that pulls well, makes a little noise and can take a beating, that I can send to you i you want it.  I'll not fly it again, and my kids all think i'm a wacko,  so they'll never use it either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
etully
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 05:12 PM »

Here you go, she's all yours  Smiley

My wife will drop it off at Fed Ex in the morning.
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 07:45 PM »

I tip my hat in respect.  Smiley

underthewind

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 08:30 PM »

Mr Tully,
 I can't thank you enough. But I'll say it anyway. Thank you SO much.
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2014, 12:23 PM »

BTW Odessa, you seem pretty special too doing this as a surprise for your Dad. Don't sell yourself short with the blonde quip. I have a pretty special daughter too, I believe , and I would never minimize or label her. My wife is a pretty incredible woman for putting up with me so if my daughter turns out like her or maybe it seems like you then that would be pretty good.
sethvincent

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2014, 12:41 PM »

Thank you for the kind words.   
I was just being silly about the blonde thing.
How old is your daughter?
underthewind

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 05:35 PM »

Thanks for all the help everybody :]
underthewind

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2014, 09:52 AM »

Mr Tully!
  I don't know why, but I thought the kite was supposed to be here Wednesday. I just looked at the tracking number and it says its getting delivered TODAY. If it gets here before my softball game we are SO taking it to the park with us !!!
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2014, 11:04 AM »

Mr Tully!
  I don't know why, but I thought the kite was supposed to be here Wednesday. I just looked at the tracking number and it says its getting delivered TODAY. If it gets here before my softball game we are SO taking it to the park with us !!!

Take pictures  Wink
underthewind

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2014, 12:35 PM »

Mr Tully!

Take pictures  Wink

I would rather not, but I'm sure Dad will insist  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change