GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 08:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: cheap wind meters  (Read 660 times)
underthewind
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 27, 2014, 12:29 PM »

Ok, I know what they are called, and can't pronounce it, I'm not EVEN trying to spell it .  Cheesy
So, I know the more expensive ones are going to be better. But are the cheapo ebay ones any good at all? or maybe the one that plugs into a smart phone?
 I think we'd be better off if we could take some of the guess work out of wind choice
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 03:35 PM »

Ok, I know what they are called, and can't pronounce it, I'm not EVEN trying to spell it .  Cheesy

Wink  Cheesy

How to Pronounce Anemometer

So, I know the more expensive ones are going to be better. But are the cheapo ebay ones any good at all? or maybe the one that plugs into a smart phone?
 I think we'd be better off if we could take some of the guess work out of wind choice

For standalone wind meters, Kestrel, Windtronics, Skywatch and a couple of others have good track records.

For smartphones, the Vaavud and Weatherflow have gotten good reviews.  The Vaavud is a bit bulkier, but omni-directional (doesn't matter which way you point it).  The Weatherflow is most accurate (to the larger of +/-0.5% of the reading or 0.2 mph) when you point it within 15 of the direction of the wind.

The Vaavud is about $50. 

Vaavud kickstarter video

The Weather Flow is around $35.

Weather Flow Windmeter

eBay is a big pond.  You might find something accurate out there or your might end up with offal with a lot of grief in trying to get your money back or the matter sorted.

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 03:44 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
underthewind

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 04:13 PM »

Thanks Mr. Wolf,
  Maybe we'll just keep guessing  Cheesy
kite_pilot

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 04:48 PM »

i got a " windmate " meter wm-200!,made by speedtech
u.s.a made, 703 430 8055
measures wind speed,compass,temp,windchill
http://www.weatherhawk.com/wm200
cheers
glen
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 04:54 PM by kite_pilot » Logged

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Chooks

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 06:33 PM »

Interesting that I just found this thread.
I have a kestrel 4500, as a bush fire weather officer in our local brigade.

We did some comparisons with all sorts of units from Hobbyking to eBay specials, all less than $20.
They were remarkably close to the kestrel and would seriously do the job.

The main difference between all of them, is a much poorer bearing in the impellor and it took them a bit more time to speed up in the lighter gusts and register the max gust. Their average wind speeds were really close.

The cheap ones were very sensitive to wind direction as well. Took a bit to aim them directly into the wind to get an accurate reading. Bit tricky with light variable gusts.

Other than that, I'd be buying a cheapy. They don't do relative humidity though. Smiley

floppyjoe

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 02:37 AM »

I have used this one from Deal Extreme for two years, and it works very well. The price is right.

http://www.dx.com/p/smart-sensor-1-5-lcd-digital-wind-speed-anemoscope-wind-chill-thermometer-17461

fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 06:34 AM »

having done plently of shopping on dealextreme, know this; if everything goes smoothly it takes 3 weeks for items to reach the US once shipped (which can also take 10 days). if there's a hiccup, it can take months (plural). from my experience, the chance of a hiccup, is about 1 in 5.

the upside is you pay about 1/3 retail for similar quality items.

Fdeli
Captainbob

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 07:41 AM »

I have used this one from Deal Extreme for two years, and it works very well. The price is right.

http://www.dx.com/p/smart-sensor-1-5-lcd-digital-wind-speed-anemoscope-wind-chill-thermometer-17461

I have the same one and checked at the field one day with someone that had a meter that was almost $100. They read the same wind speed side by side.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
floppyjoe

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 07:42 AM »

I don't care if it takes two months to receive my order. I will forget that I have made an order, so it comes like a big surprise when it shows up.  Tongue
Captainbob

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2014, 07:43 AM »

having done plently of shopping on dealextreme, know this; if everything goes smoothly it takes 3 weeks for items to reach the US once shipped (which can also take 10 days). if there's a hiccup, it can take months (plural). from my experience, the chance of a hiccup, is about 1 in 5.

the upside is you pay about 1/3 retail for similar quality items.

I ordered mine from Amazon. Took less than 2 weeks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007P10OQC/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:44 AM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 09:41 AM »

if it takes two months to receive my order. I will forget that I have made an order, so it comes like a big surprise when it shows up.  Tongue
i can confirm this happens as well.  Grin
for inexpensive items, its ok.
but not really for more pricey ones, or items ordered together which shipped separately but need to work together (ie: flashlight/battery/charger).

Fdeli
underthewind

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 11:17 AM »

Thank you everyone for the info and the options  Wink

With as bad as the summer wind is here, waiting for one to get here wouldn't be so bad. It might actually get here before the wind does  Roll Eyes
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 05:14 AM »

The cheapest wind meter is the back of your neck and your eyes. Look for leaves blowing on the trees.  A light breeze will make the leaves blow. Wind at the ground level seems to be always different from what you're seeing up in the trees.  Stand with wind at your back. If you can feel the wind at your back you should be good to go. If it feels light, then it might take some work to get a kite up and keep it up. You probably want a definite breeze at your back which is probably more than 6 or 7 mph.

I never bought a wind meter because I could pretty much figure out if there was any chance I could get a kite up based on what I saw and felt.

Bob D.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change