GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 03:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ABS video I found very enlightening  (Read 601 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: June 19, 2014, 08:25 PM »

Check out this control.

http://youtu.be/paaIpE6zRUQ

Sweet kite.

6 kite tom
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 04:03 AM »

Love the way this kite flies.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 06:01 AM »

what difference in flight are you seeing than any other quad line kite?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
ezme6
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 06:07 AM »

it is not a "see" thing, it is a "feel" thing...
I know because I have the only set....

"Do what you like"
Captainbob

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 06:08 AM »

When going from forward to reverse, the transition is instantaneous, with no flipping of the wing in reverse that I can see. Of course the only way to really compare this kite to a Rev is to fly both, anything else is pure guesswork or wishful thinking.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Captainbob

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 06:09 AM »

it is not a "see" thing, it is a "feel" thing...
I know because I have the only set....

Yes, I guess it would be nice if we could decide which new kite to buy, solely by watching a video of it flying  Wink

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2014, 06:29 AM »

With any video of Lam flying you see Lam's flying more than whatever kite he's got. Not to say he doesn't make great kites, because he does, but it's very hard to judge the kite with some one that skillful at the controls.

The other issue with any talented kite designer flying their own design is that they not only have a ton of hours on the kite, but they designed the kite they want. Like a tailored suit, it's gonna look good.

I'm looking forward to flying an ABS, mainly because the are better looking than most Revs, not because of some mystical quality they may have.

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2014, 06:40 AM »

When going from forward to reverse, the transition is instantaneous, with no flipping of the wing in reverse that I can see. Of course the only way to really compare this kite to a Rev is to fly both, anything else is pure guesswork or wishful thinking.
Do you use Quad Sticks on your Revs?   they tighten the kite up so it is not as flippy like that.....

thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2014, 06:41 AM »

The other issue with any talented kite designer flying their own design is that they not only have a ton of hours on the kite, but they designed the kite they want. Like a tailored suit, it's gonna look good.

and some people wondered why a Machine was valued so high Wink

Captainbob

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2014, 06:43 AM »

Do you use Quad Sticks on your Revs?   they tighten the kite up so it is not as flippy like that.....

Yes, I have been using Magic Sticks on both my Revs for about 2 months, and wouldn't fly without them. Also allows the same frame to be used in a higher wind, which is nice. I was able to master the inverted hover with the sticks, almost immediately as well as reverse flying.  

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
skb
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2014, 07:52 AM »

it's sort of like cars. They might all do the same basic things,but differences in workmanship, performance and aesthetics give you options from basic commuter to high performance sportscar.

Sent from my '09 laptop using Hunt 'n' Peck 2.1
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2014, 10:07 AM »

First, I'm no Rev flyer - I've tried many times and just never had much interest. 

To me, this one feels different.  From the first flight on, I've been having fun learning to fly quads and moving on to more complex maneuvers. 

I think the major difference I think is likely due to the bridle - you can aggressively fly the kite (as most new flyers are likely to do) and easily maintain flight and control.  As I get better, I'll slow It down, smooth it out, finesse it up, but I do like being able to scream down the window, turn up a wing, and plant a tip stab with this kite.  The wings also seem more cupped - it flys very solidly with great sail pressure even in low wind.

Having said that, it is a quad - I would imagine a Rev flyer would feel right at home with it.

Tom

6 kite tom
Fearless Object
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2014, 11:47 AM »

Thanks Tom, I do appreciate and everyone Smiley Cheer!

Good day !
Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2014, 12:17 PM »

Looks great. I am a novice Rev flier and would be interested in flying one because I'm not wedded to the Rev yet, but knowing Lam's quality I don't think I could afford jumping into one. I would love to be able to try one out. I will say that the convenience of packing up the Rev is pretty hard to beat. Curious about the leaders. Did they only have one knot? Assuming that is Lam's preference  in the video and you could adjust any way you like. I hate the pig rings though. Would live to see snag less.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum