GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 11:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pfaff Sewing Machines stitches  (Read 582 times)
kiteflyer
Trade Count: (+18)

« on: June 21, 2014, 08:17 AM »

Hi Guys,
  I'm pretty new to this sewing thing ...so far I have made a couple of Rev copies with a Singer machine. I used a three step zigzag stitch and made it larger to match my other Revs stitching. I see most kites use this stitch. I sold my Singer and got a couple of Pfaff machines the 1523 and the 2046. I can not get a large three step zigzag stitch on either one. I'm I doing something wrong? ...or did I buy two machines that won't do what I need? Attached is a photo of the largest I can make the three step zigzag next to a Prism kite stitch.  Any help would be great!  Thanks, Mark

[attachment deleted by admin]
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 08:59 AM »

a pic of the machine please

i've got a pfaff, let's see if i can see the buttons i use on your machine

Krijn
Grant L
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 10:07 AM »

You can get copies to most Pfaff manuals HERE . ( It looks like it stops but there are more if you scroll down.)
kiteflyer

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2014, 11:55 AM »

I do have the manual...all is says is width up to 6mm nothing on the length. You can make the length greater on just about any stitch but this one. It defaults to 6mm width and 1mm length (my photo above) and it cant go any larger. here are a couple of photos of my machine.  Now what???

[attachment deleted by admin]
Stuart99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 05:40 PM »

Change the length from 1.0 to something like 3.0 or 4.0. That should help.
kiteflyer

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 06:06 PM »

As I said in my earlier post it won't go any larger then 1mm.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2014, 07:24 PM »

If pressing the second row of buttons on the right won't change the stitch length, I would just contact PFAFF on Monday to determine whether the machine or should be able to or not.

MACHINE SUPPORT
Toll free assistance – 1.800.446.2333
Monday-Friday 8:00 am – 4:00 pm CST
pfaff@pfaffusa.com

To be able to change length on more complicated stitches but not the Zig-Zag would seem Looney Tunes to me, but seems like a Toll-Free call would be the simplest way to determine whether this is going to be a brick wall for you or not.

ATB,
Sam
kiteflyer

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2014, 07:45 PM »

indigo_wolf   
  I could not agree with you more... I think it's crazy that on just about all the complex stitches you can increase the length but on one of the most common stitches you can not. I will give Pfaff a call on Monday
                                   Thanks, Mark
kiteflyer

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2014, 02:30 PM »

Okay... So today I called Pfaff and they said that if you can not adjust the length with the + button then it can not be adjusted any larger. This seems crazy to me. 1mm is pretty small for a zigzag stitch. Now what do I buy?
                      Mark
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2014, 02:56 PM »

I've got a Pfaff select which is non computerized.  The 2 features which I would really like is to have a knee lift which would be very helpful on the nose of these kites and is invaluable for appliqué.  The other feature which would be extremely helpful is an automatic needle down position when stopped this will be really helpful on all the sharp turns you make in the reinforcement pieces as well as where seams meet to keep your work really clean looking.   I'm not sure the IDT is necessary when your gluing your seams together. 

Those are just some features I think would be helpful for kite building.  I've been thinking about getting a Bernina and would be interested in hearing thoughts on those machine. 

I would also avoid light industrials for now unless your going to be sewing giant kites for a living. 

Dana
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2014, 04:49 PM »

I have a Bernina 1630 that I purchased for $450.  It is stellar, and does far more than I need it to.  While I've never had IDT that pfaff makes use of, I do have a walking foot that I sometimes put on the bernina.  I've never had a problem feeding anything through it, keeping in mind changes in height.  When I have a transition of material, (e.g. pc31 transition to Dacron), I place a piece of scrap behind the foot to maintain smooth feeding. 

In 4 years, I've only had the machine serviced once (and that was because it was a free perk of buying it from a bernina dealer).  I've never had to mess with the tension settings too much.  It's a very reliable, very strong machine.  Nothing bogs it down if you use appropriate needles for the job (I've broken needles sewing thick webbing). 
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 05:15 PM »

you might want to check out the forum that Steve Ferrel runs over at Kitebuilder.com....sadly Steve shut down all sales of kite building materials.....but the forum is still VERY alive...you will find a couple of us over there too...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum