GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: speed kites  (Read 430 times)
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 25, 2014, 07:07 PM »

hi all,
just wanted to know why those special made flat sail speed kites from europe are so hard to fly to keep in the air ?
i had a blk one cant remember the name but it was from germany(europe) some where!
a nice looking well made kite it was.
no matter how windy or what i tried i could not get the darn thing to want to fly and keep in the air! Sad
any ideas/thoughts please ?
cheers
glen

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 09:43 PM »

Getting them off the ground and airborne is the big challenge. 

That small flat sail is hard to get loaded.  Angry

Once airborne flying is easy.   Cool and fun  Grin  Grin  Grin
kite_pilot

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:26 PM »

hi wayner,
thanks for your reply!
yes getting it off the ground was hard work before it fell back to the ground! Shocked

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Hadge

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2014, 01:09 AM »

You can get special launcher to get speed kites into the air. Long Duong use to sell them but they'd be easy to make. Kite sits on the launcher with a water bottle strapped on the top bit which flips up when you launch - there was a good video but it's no longer available only this short clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EBybUnRD2M

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
kite_pilot

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2014, 01:22 AM »

interesting mate,thanks for the pic!
yes "long duong" was the kite i had i think!,about 5 years ago i brought it.
i had a mate that used to hold the kite above his head even for a lift off but didnt help much!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2014, 01:26 AM by kite_pilot » Logged

ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2014, 09:53 AM »

The key is in the launching, just holding them up and pulling like mad is not cutting it.
speedkites NEED to be given a forward motion, a preferred direction of flight must be created during launch. Either by having it really thrown up by a helper, the forward falling from standing and then pulled sharply, or a ramp and sharp pulling. Some speedkites can even do a reliable deadlaunch.

Also once in the air, a speedkites must be kept in motion, you can't just park it at the edge of the wind window. and your steering motions are in general a lot less then with standard kites.

In general they are the most difficult kites to fly well. But also a really challenge to test your flying skills and reflexes.
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2014, 11:52 AM »

Agreed on all counts. Wink It took me awhile to be able to launch my Tiger II. Clean winds are also a bonus. If you try to fly one of these in gusty conditions you're going to get frustrated pretty quick. Don't ask how I know, hah.
Dominiknz

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 12:17 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm also from germany and mad about speedkites. I met some friends on whitsun and we tried some crazy kites (extreme wingspan kites and speedkites). We have made a video where you also can see some frustration with speedkites starting at 8:30 in this video
Whitsun 2014 in France on Vimeo

There you can see how to start from this launcher and how many attempts it took to start e.g. the Vulcan.
We also have a speedkiting contest where the speed of the kite is meassured by radar.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change