GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 02:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyburner Freestylist  (Read 1237 times)
Captainbob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2014, 04:01 AM »

What is a good lineset to use with the Freestylist UL ? Want to make sure I have something suitable when mine arrives.

Use #50 at 75'' for the last 3 years. 
Any quality 50# will work,  but Sky bond is smoother than other brands during multiple wraps.

Used 50# a couple of times, and decided 90# is much better in the fields I fly in which are loaded with clover.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2014, 12:56 PM »

How do ya like your new flashlight???

Have not had a change to fly it. Will have time this long weekend.  Grin
Captainbob

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 01:57 PM »

I spent the better part of his afternoon "trying" to fly my Prism Zephyr in the low winds at the field today. Every Time it launches and then slides back to the ground, I get a bit more bugged with the wind range on the Prism site for the Zephyr of 1-17 mph. Despite numerous playing with bridle adjustments, removing weight, removing front spreader, the only thing that will make this kite fly reliably in less than about 3-4 mph, in my opinion,  is a hovercraft strapped to it's back.

Anyway, I finally gave up, packed up, and walked back to my home, and leaning against the front door is a triangular box from Skyburner.. It has to be the Freestylist UL, I have been waiting for. I quickly unboxed it, and took it out of the bag it was in, which is a rugged canvas type bag like my Widow NG came in. I assembled it, which was a piece of cake. Wing tension is the one knot type, quick and easy, and even a separate instruction sheet on how to do the tension properly is included. First thing I noticed is that it has the same Quick bridle adjustment setup that my Widow NG has, which makes tuning the bridle out in the field for different wind conditions a piece of cake, since you can easily change bridle settings and if you don't like the new one, return to the previous setting  in seconds. The Freestylist looks great, and is very well made, and it is in my favorite color which I ordered, "red".

Ok enough of that, back out to the field . Now the wind specs for this kite are 2-12 mph. So now I am anxious to see how it is going to compare to the Zephyr I just finished struggling with. I set the kite up, hooked up a set of 90# 100 ft lines, propped it up for launch and took a quick pre-launch photo. The wind now was varying around 2-4 mph. I pulled the lines back, and the Freestylist shot straight off the ground like a rocket!!!!  Smiley Smiley
No babying it, no having to run back, it just took off and flew straight up like it was on rails.  Spins, stalls, slides, dives, you name it, it just kept flying. Fly a straight line, as straight as an arrow, perfect square turns, nice slides from the edge of the window.  I flew it for about 20 minutes straight, and it just floated and flew, floated and flew. No struggling, or having to run around the field to keep it up.

This kite is a blast.  I was thinking about when I got my Niknak, and the fact that my Prism 4D has been in the hangar ever since.  Now I am wondering what I am going to do with the Zephyr, which I initially bought because of the "1 mph-17 mph" spec, now that I have the Freestylist UL , which I can already see is faster, much smoother, and doesn't need near as much wind as the Zephyr to fly smoothly.  Once the wind reaches the top of the Freestylist UL range of around 10-12 mph, the Widow NG which I also love to fly will come out.

After I landed, I realized that there was a handwritten note on top of the instruction sheet from Jon T that said he had placed a 10 gram weight in the tail, and I should remove it for "very light wind flying".  All this time, that I was flying it, the weight was still in the tail, I had forgotten to remove it. 

My instant impression of this kite, is that it is like a giant Niknak as far as it's wind capability, but I have a feeling that it is much more trickable than the Niknak. Since I am not into tricks, this is just speculation on my part, but for precision type flying, from what I have seen so far, this kite is a winner. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 02:01 PM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
missionview

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 02:26 PM »

Congratulations on your new kite! What to do with the zephyr? use it as a back up kite for higher winds. That is what I do with mine. I also fly the zephyr when I am on a rough dirt field, or when there are dogs running loose and I do not want to risk one of my sky burners kites to a dog attack.

Robert
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 02:48 PM »

Congrats on obtaining the Freestylist, CB. Let us know how it flies when you take the weight off the tail. But then, that may be the reason why it tracked so well.

I think my next purchase is going to be a WM UL.   Grin

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
Captainbob

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 03:12 PM »

Congratulations on your new kite! What to do with the zephyr? use it as a back up kite for higher winds. That is what I do with mine. I also fly the zephyr when I am on a rough dirt field, or when there are dogs running loose and I do not want to risk one of my sky burners kites to a dog attack.

Good ideas.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Captainbob

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 03:26 PM »

Congrats on obtaining the Freestylist, CB. Let us know how it flies when you take the weight off the tail. But then, that may be the reason why it tracked so well.

I think my next purchase is going to be a WM UL.   Grin

I'm afraid to mess with the weight. I think I have found the Holy Grail, and don't want to mess with it...    Wink

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 11:17 PM »

Glad your enjoying the freestylist ul.  It is a fantastic true ul kite.  Never took the tail weight out of mine either   Cheesy

The zypher is a  light standard not a true ul it's the trickyist kite prism makes  just hate the false listing of wind range.  Prism should showcase It's amazing abilities for a low cost and not the disappointment a flyer gets because of the published unrealistic wind range 
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2014, 04:22 AM »

Yep the Zeph is more a light standard and flies well when powered up but needs a solid 3 mph or so. I like the kite for what it is.  Glad you like the Freesylist, JonT makes a nice kite.

Glad your enjoying the freestylist ul.  It is a fantastic true ul kite.  Never took the tail weight out of mine either   Cheesy

The zypher is a  light standard not a true ul it's the trickyist kite prism makes  just hate the false listing of wind range.  Prism should showcase It's amazing abilities for a low cost and not the disappointment a flyer gets because of the published unrealistic wind range 

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2014, 07:35 PM »

I spent the better part of his afternoon "trying" to fly my Prism Zephyr in the low winds at the field today. Every Time it launches and then slides back to the ground, I get a bit more bugged with the wind range on the Prism site for the Zephyr of 1-17 mph. Despite numerous playing with bridle adjustments, removing weight, removing front spreader, the only thing that will make this kite fly reliably in less than about 3-4 mph, in my opinion,  is a hovercraft strapped to it's back.

Anyway, I finally gave up, packed up, and walked back to my home, and leaning against the front door is a triangular box from Skyburner.. It has to be the Freestylist UL, I have been waiting for. I quickly unboxed it, and took it out of the bag it was in, which is a rugged canvas type bag like my Widow NG came in. I assembled it, which was a piece of cake. Wing tension is the one knot type, quick and easy, and even a separate instruction sheet on how to do the tension properly is included. First thing I noticed is that it has the same Quick bridle adjustment setup that my Widow NG has, which makes tuning the bridle out in the field for different wind conditions a piece of cake, since you can easily change bridle settings and if you don't like the new one, return to the previous setting  in seconds. The Freestylist looks great, and is very well made, and it is in my favorite color which I ordered, "red".

Ok enough of that, back out to the field . Now the wind specs for this kite are 2-12 mph. So now I am anxious to see how it is going to compare to the Zephyr I just finished struggling with. I set the kite up, hooked up a set of 90# 100 ft lines, propped it up for launch and took a quick pre-launch photo. The wind now was varying around 2-4 mph. I pulled the lines back, and the Freestylist shot straight off the ground like a rocket!!!!  Smiley Smiley
No babying it, no having to run back, it just took off and flew straight up like it was on rails.  Spins, stalls, slides, dives, you name it, it just kept flying. Fly a straight line, as straight as an arrow, perfect square turns, nice slides from the edge of the window.  I flew it for about 20 minutes straight, and it just floated and flew, floated and flew. No struggling, or having to run around the field to keep it up.

This kite is a blast.  I was thinking about when I got my Niknak, and the fact that my Prism 4D has been in the hangar ever since.  Now I am wondering what I am going to do with the Zephyr, which I initially bought because of the "1 mph-17 mph" spec, now that I have the Freestylist UL , which I can already see is faster, much smoother, and doesn't need near as much wind as the Zephyr to fly smoothly.  Once the wind reaches the top of the Freestylist UL range of around 10-12 mph, the Widow NG which I also love to fly will come out.

After I landed, I realized that there was a handwritten note on top of the instruction sheet from Jon T that said he had placed a 10 gram weight in the tail, and I should remove it for "very light wind flying".  All this time, that I was flying it, the weight was still in the tail, I had forgotten to remove it. 

My instant impression of this kite, is that it is like a giant Niknak as far as it's wind capability, but I have a feeling that it is much more trickable than the Niknak. Since I am not into tricks, this is just speculation on my part, but for precision type flying, from what I have seen so far, this kite is a winner. 

As you know by my posts about the Freestylist, I love mine.

This past weekend I had the fortunate oportunity to get some much needed help from a fellow flyer and I am very greatful for the help.  I was successful in doing my first Jacobs Ladder with it and now I better undertand what it takes to trick.  SLack, slack, slack...  I need to move foward to get slack....

I also received a Widow Maker UL which I will deploy as I learn  more with the Freestylist.  The Freestylist in my opinion has ignited a new realm of flying for me that I am having an absolute blast doing. 

I will be perfecting the Jacobs Ladder in the near future and I see many more variations from those moves that I am excited to learn.

What ever it takes to get excited to me is what kiting is all about.  Fly it with or without the weight its not much different, its a blast either way...  Try tricking it will give you a purpose to get out and fly and is alot of fun.  Before you get to entrenched about keeping pressure on the lines try slacking the lines and see what happens.  It's great exercise

Captainbob

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 04:13 AM »

As you know by my posts about the Freestylist, I love mine.

This past weekend I had the fortunate oportunity to get some much needed help from a fellow flyer and I am very greatful for the help.  I was successful in doing my first Jacobs Ladder with it and now I better undertand what it takes to trick.  SLack, slack, slack...  I need to move foward to get slack....

I also received a Widow Maker UL which I will deploy as I learn  more with the Freestylist.  The Freestylist in my opinion has ignited a new realm of flying for me that I am having an absolute blast doing. 

I will be perfecting the Jacobs Ladder in the near future and I see many more variations from those moves that I am excited to learn.

What ever it takes to get excited to me is what kiting is all about.  Fly it with or without the weight its not much different, its a blast either way...  Try tricking it will give you a purpose to get out and fly and is alot of fun.  Before you get to entrenched about keeping pressure on the lines try slacking the lines and see what happens.  It's great exercise

Sent you a PM.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2014, 01:47 PM »

The Freestylist is a SOLID choice, far and away. Glad you picked one up. The UL with a custom frame was the first kite I competed on when I came back to the sport. Loved it. Feels a bit like the Muse to an extent to me. Just a bit.

Keep us posted on your progress with it! Smooth winds.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2014, 02:10 AM »

The Freestylist is a SOLID choice, far and away ... Feels a bit like the Muse to an extent to me. Just a bit.

Their designs must be similar as the standard Freestylist has the same wingtip shudder that the Muse/Mantis has when overpowered. Thought I heard once that Skyshark came out with the Nitro's to address this shudder. Reminds me, that's why I needed more Nitro's/

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change