GWTW Forum
December 18, 2014, 08:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this 3.3m stunt kite any good?  (Read 702 times)
IFlyKites
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 28, 2014, 07:15 PM »

Hello everyone!

I'm looking for a new stunt kite to get. I want something with power and has a bit of arm pull. I'm not interested in getting a power kite at the moment. I am a beginner/intermediate and own a Prism Quantum. I found this one on eBay:  {ebay link removed} and I'm wondering is it any good? Or is it a piece of junk? What do you guys think? My limit is $250, anything over I'm not willing to buy.  Undecided

Thanks, Ari

ebay link removed. (Il Duce)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 07:23 PM by chilese » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2014, 07:32 PM »

1 The ad makes no mention of what company made the kite.

2 A well made kite that large is going to cost at least $500 if
      it comes from a reputable shop.

3 Do not buy kites on ebay.

4 No links to ebay on the Forum. (It's one of the few rules here).

5 The kite comes with 25 meter lines (way too short for a kite that big).

6 Support a reputable kite shop. Do you have a local kite store?

The Prism Quantum is 2.13 meters wingspan. The kite you're looking at

is going to have about 2.5 times as much surface area. If the frame is

not adequate for the amount of sail, it will probably break in even moderate winds.

That large kite has about 2.5 sqm of surface area (rough guess). That's a lot of sail.

Good luck with your decision. Personally, I'd drop it faster than Kanye did with his pride.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
IFlyKites

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2014, 07:34 PM »

Ah, sorry about the link. Is there any good, sturdy kites you would recommend? Something that could take some beat? Is the Kratos Stunt Kite any good?

Cheers, Ari
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 07:45 PM »

The Kratos, just from what I read, has fiberglass spars.

That is part of why the cost is so low. I have never flown

the kite so can't tell you how it is.

Do you have any local fliers in your area?

Fly before you buy is a really great way to go, if you can.

Have you flown any other sport kites or foils?

What do you want from your next kite?  Noise, pull, etc.

It sounds like you want a large, old school kite that's really well

made and doesn't cost much. You might consider the Swap Meet

here and put out a WANTED post listing your requirements.

IFlyKites

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 07:53 PM »

I want pull mostly. And thank you for the suggestion about the swap meet; I'll be sure to post in it. I do have local fliers but not many here. I have only flown the Prism Quantum. That's about it for the kites I have flown.

Cheers, Ari
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 08:46 PM »

have considered a foil?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
IFlyKites

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 09:03 PM »

I Have yes. For a foil, I might get the Prism Snapshot 2.5. Not sure of any other good ones.
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 11:12 PM »

I Have yes. For a foil, I might get the Prism Snapshot 2.5. Not sure of any other good ones.

If pull/traction is what you are looking for any foil in the 2.4-3M range.  Reputable manufacturers include:

• Elliot
  • Flexifoil
  • HQ
  • NewTech
  • Ozone
  • Peter Lynn
  • Prism
  • PKD
  • SkyDog

Probably some I missed, but that's more enough to give you a wide selection range.

If you heavier set, you can creep up to the 3.5-4.0M range for your first foil as long as you fly it in moderate winds.

Flying in unreasonable or gusty winds, can result in less than ideal results.

Flexifoil Bullet 5.5 Superman Accident

ATB,
Sam
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:14 PM by indigo_wolf » Logged
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 02:06 AM »

[...] 3 Do not buy kites on ebay.

Why John ?
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 11:49 AM »

I believe buying kites on ebay makes it harder for brick and mortar kite stores to stay open.

I do realize that some stores also sell on ebay.

Just my opinion.  Smiley

Broady

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 02:51 PM »

I had a kite shop selling something on eBay cheaper than it was direct from the shop online.  So I called up the shop expecting that they would at least match the ebay price, but said they couldn't as it was a special offer. In hindsight I should have questioned why, but I didn't.
There are also a lot of good secondhand kites that come up on ebay. I personally have brought and sold without issue.
kite_pilot

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 03:57 PM »

as john said,its better to buy from the kite shops(not ebay) in support of them to keep them remaining open and in business! Cheesy

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
Imafloater
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 04:08 PM »

Mea Culpa !!! I have bought kites on e-bay.  That said there is a distinct advantage to buying from a brick and mortar kite store. 1) You support the kite dealers that literarily live or die by our support. 2) You have contact for problems or just questions.  I had the experience of buying on e-bay from sellers that did not misrepresent the item just their representation wasn't very good.  This has worked both ways as I purchased a White Bird (SLK) and sent more than the "Buy It Now" price as it was seriously underpriced and the seller was totally unaware of what they were selling.  Generally I have to support buying from kite dealers for not only support but that is as close to "fly before you buy" for every kite on the market as you can hope to get.  Time to go check those store sites and pick out the next "must have".

DavidS

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2014, 03:05 PM »

I buy and sell on ebay - lots.  (Currently have 11,000 items listed).

Ebay is an advertising venue - so saying "don't buy on ebay", is like saying "don't buy items advertised online" - it is nothing about ebay, it is about the seller. 

Don't buy from sellers with sucky listings, selling crappy products, or at terms which hurt you or the market in general. 

If a brick and mortar store won't honor an ebay price (or ANY advertised price that THEY were advertising), then they are bad sellers.    (Don't buy from bad sellers).

Ebay has done a great job opening a global marketplace.

I have 8 full time employees which feed their families from a business which relies on ebay sales.

(We have good listings, sell honestly, honor pricing anywhere (ours or anyone elses in most cases...).)

-David
 TheJetSkiStore

Prism roll up with BMK Exile x2, DS, DS UL, Widow x2, FC (signed) x4, Prism 4D, Prism 3D, Desire SUL x3, FC2, Premier Addiction (test flight kite for curious onlookers)  - not in the bag (for various reasons): Benson DS, Prism Stack, Widow, FC
voodoo_joe

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 07:19 PM »

i know the kite(s) of which you speak and i like the idea of a big ass kite that is obstreperous loudness when flying.  They have 900 typos in the ad but came up with obstreperous?  Anyways i've had one in my watch list for a loooong time.  Just don't want to shell out $300 for a novelty.  i don't have any huge expectations for tricks, i have other kites for that.

We don't have any kite shops in L.A., so nobody is losing my business since it is all mail order.  i find lots of old kites and stuff you can't find anyplace else.  My philosophy is buyer beware, if i don't like the ad/photos, then i pass.  For specific wants i order from itw, awoc or drive to HB.

Have fun, good luck!

Cheers-------------->rg

Cheers----------------------->VJ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum