GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 02:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shadow Bridle  (Read 1100 times)
qasamm
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: June 29, 2014, 06:44 AM »

A few days ago I pulled out my HQ Shadow to fly and found the bridle was undone.  Using the manual diagram I was able to get it back together (I think) but it is not right.  After checking the forums I see occasional discussion on replacing it with a 3 point bridle but no info on length or layout.  Any direction on how to do this?

Thanks-

Sam
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 09:07 AM »

I have a 3 point bridle on my Shadow which works well and gets rid of a lot of the oversteer you have with the standard bridle.  Measurements are:-

Uphaul 45cm (17 3/4")
Inhaul 52cm  (20 1/2")
Outhaul 57cm (22 1/2") ( yes the outhaul is longer than the inhaul)

Tied from 100lb dyneema flying line. All measurements from the towpoint knot to the frame.

Start by tying 3 pairs of pigtails - take about 22cm (9") of line, fold in half and knot the two loose ends together then tie 2 more knots at 2cm (1/2") intervals above that - make sure the knots are in the same place on each pair.

Loop these onto the frame where the existing lines fasten. Take a long length of flying line, measure down 15cm (6") and make a mark with a sharpie pen then bring the end down and tie a loop with the knot on your mark.

Larkshead this loop to the middle knot on your uphaul pigtail then measure 45cm from the frame and make another mark. from this mark measure another 30cm (12") and make another mark. Bring the 2 marks together to form a loop and tie a knot at the point where the 2 marks meet at your 45cm mark. Your uphaul should now measure 45cm. Tie another knot at the very bottom of the loop - this is your towpoint.

Still using the same long piece of line, loosely larkshead the line at about 57cm/ 22 1/2" around the middle pigtail knot on the outhaul. Adjust the length of the line until it measures 58cm from the towpoint knot to the frame and make a mark in the middle of the loop then undo the larkshead and with the mark in the middle, tie a loop roughly 8cm (3") down - the extra 1cm was to allow for the knot. Check the outhaul line - it should measure 57cm. Cut the line now as you need a new piece for the inhaul.

Make a 8cm loop in a new length of line and larkshead it around the middle knot on the spine pigtail. as you did with the outhaul, roughly larkshead at about 52cm/20 1/2" around the towpoint length just below the top knot where the uphaul/inhaul meet. adjust this length to 53cm mark the middle of the loop then remove it and tie a 8cm loop with the mark in the middle as before. Check your inhaul it should be 52cm.

Repeat on the other side double check all measurements are the same on both sides.

Thats it! It sounds much more difficult than it is, once you start it's all pretty obvious really.

If you tie the bridle with sleeved bridle line rather than flying line allow 2cm for each knot.

If you want to you can tie the new bridle alongside the old one and see which you like best.

Credit for this bridle should go to Norm P as he sent me the original measurements.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:16 AM by Hadge » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
qasamm

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:35 PM »

Thank you!  Will give it a spin this week and try it out soon- going away for the holiday so no flying til I get back.
np
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 06:09 AM »

Thank you!  Will give it a spin this week and try it out soon- going away for the holiday so no flying til I get back.
If you don't feel comfortable making this bridle, let me know as I already have one made up and will send it to you. You will enjoy your kite a lot more with this bridle attached.
@Hadge: Your efforts are tireless at helping. thanks, Steve
qasamm

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 04:29 PM »

I'm gonna take you up on the offer.  I will send you a pm.
np

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 06:12 PM »

I'm gonna take you up on the offer.  I will send you a pm.
Received your PM. Sounds good....I'll get it in the mail for you on Monday.
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 08:52 PM »

I added pigtails on the upper leading edge connectors. They each have three knots in them. I then simply connect the upper leading edge original bride lines to each of these pigtails. The knots are about 1" higher then the original connection. I find it really cuts down on the oversteer and nothing really needs to be changed out.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
np

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 06:26 AM »

If my memory serves me correct: The original Shadow brilde was a reverse turbo configuration. This new bridle is a 3-point. I doubt if it is any better than the way you have done it, but I really liked the results I got with my 3-point configuration. 
np

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 11:52 AM »

The 3-point  bridle for your Shadow is in the mail. If you have any problems, let me know. I have Unlimited long distance telephone service, so not a problem. 
qasamm

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2014, 07:03 PM »

Much appreciated!  Full report after I get some air time.
qasamm

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 03:48 PM »

Ok- first thank you for the offer and the labeled, bagged bridle with excellent instructions.  100% improvement over the broken bridle I had on it!  Jumps into the air with a gentle pull and and has little twitch left in from the last time I remember trying to fly it.

I can't thank you enough!
np

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 03:19 PM »

I can't thank you enough!
You've already said enough.  Wink
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 02:40 AM »

Nice job Norm! The Shadow certainly flies much nicer with the 3 point! ( though I still can't get it to roll up).

Interestingly, I was reading on one of the German sites that the prototype Shadow did have a 3 point bridle but this was dropped in favour of the turbo bridle on the production models.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum