GWTW Forum
September 16, 2014, 04:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New kite with stains on the sail?  (Read 2505 times)
Todd Parker
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 29, 2014, 05:37 PM »

I just bought a new kite.  When I opened up the package, I was dismayed to see that there are dark grey stains on the sail.  The stains are long, thin, and run from the nose or leading edge to the trailing edge.  The sail has the appearance as if the spars were lightly smeared with ink before they were rolled up with the kite and stuffed into the bag.

Concerned, I contacted the vendor.  I was told by them that this is common and normal for the type of material that the sail is made out of.  They said that they have had many kites of the same type as mine, and others with the same sail material that have had this kind of staining.

Is this really normal?
np
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 05:53 PM »

Me too. What kite? What store? Let's talk. I am still trying to get my issues resolved. Your post makes me suspicious. You have only one post. Hope you understand. I bought mine at a very popular internet kite store.   
Todd Parker

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 06:08 PM »

Yeah, I just joined the forum today to ask this question.  Actually, I just *found* this forum yesterday.  I've had a few stunt kites over the years, but haven't been very serious about it.  A few months ago I learned about these fancy new "trick" kites, so I thought I'd try one.

I'm wondering if it would be bad form to mention what kite this is.  I'm pretty sure that it's bad form to mention the vendor, so I won't do that.

The web site says that the sail material is made out of "Icarex polyester", if that means anything to anybody.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 06:17 PM »

It is not unheard of ... usually that sort of staining comes from the bridle lines. Kite is wrapped up tightly in the bag ... in shipping/storage a little condensation occurs and the dye from the bridles lines leach into the sail material. It certainly does not affect performance and from the end of the lines I'd bet you can't see it.

It is okay to mention the specifics of the parties involved ... as long as what you are saying is true and your experience.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
np

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 06:22 PM »

I feel your pain. I had stains on my (recent) kite purchase also. After I explained my problem all they said was have fun flying it. Of course, the stains were on the White panels. I was told by the internet kite store to take my problem to the manufacturer for warrantee purposes. This is a popular internet kite store. After contacting the distributor/manufacturer they sent me another kite. It was also stained on the White panels. So, they sent me a pre-paid Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) shipping label. To save time, I asked them to inspect the next kite before they shipped it to me. They looked through the kites they had on hand and said all of them had stains. I spoke with the person in charge to ask what was causing the stains. He said it was the dye that was used on the Leading and Trailing edges.  

Here are some quotes from the internet kite store where I purchased my kite. These quotes are from my e-mail correspondence with them.

"You can contact (removed Company name) since this would be their warranty issue."

"The companies prefer to handle warranty issues themselves, thatís how itís done."

"Sorry the sail had marks on it.  Have fun flying it."

(I removed a persons name and replaced it with I)  " I doesnít take the time to check each kite anymore, weíd never get out of here. "
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 07:42 PM by np » Logged
tcope
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 06:28 PM »

I'm guessing these kites are made over seas and the designer and distributor are at the mercy of the over-seas shops. I can see where each kite obtained might not be opened and inspected but I see no reason why these companies should tell the customer that it's their problems. If the distributor sold the bad kite then _they_ they should take it back and return it to the manufacture under warranty. That is the correct thing to do.

While I've heard of sails being stained, it should not be normal and it should not be accepted by the customer. If it were me I'd ask the seller to make it right and post here as to what went on. If the seller does a good job, then everyone will know it.

Todd Copeland
Member of T.I.S.K.K
Memeber of Utah Kite Fliers
http://www.utahkitefliers.org
np

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 06:36 PM »

If it were me I'd ask the seller to make it right and post here as to what went on. If the seller does a good job, then everyone will know it.
Here are some quotes from the internet kite store where I purchased my kite. These quotes are from my e-mail correspondence with them.

"You can contact (removed Company name) since this would be their warranty issue."

"The companies prefer to handle warranty issues themselves, that’s how it’s done."

"Sorry the sail had marks on it.  Have fun flying it."

(I removed a persons name and replaced it with I)  " I doesn’t take the time to check each kite anymore, we’d never get out of here. "
I am still in the process of working with the distributor/manufacturer.
Todd Parker

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 06:48 PM »

My vendor is willing to take the kite back for a full refund.  I'm not sure if they will pay for return shipping - I haven't asked.

Steve's explanation makes sense - thanks for that.  Np's vendor also mentioned dye from the leading/trailing edge.  Yeah, so dye from the bridle lines or from the leading/trailing edges leaching onto the sail due to condensation during shipping or storage.  OK.

The key point is that this doesn't seem to be an isolated issue.  What I'm hearing from my vendor and what np's vendor says is that most or all of the kites are like this.    Regardless of what a vendor is willing to do to rectify an issue, it sounds like if I want a new kite, it's going to have stains on the sail.  I just find that odd.

Are there trick kites that have leading/trailing edges and bridles lines that are made without dye?  Or maybe I'm buying my kite at the wrong time of year?  Maybe some other time of year the shipping from wherever it's made won't have as much of a problem with condensation?

I think I'm over-analyzing this.  But...  It was kinda spendy.  And it showed up brand new with stains on it.
np

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 06:58 PM »

Ask your vendor if they will send you an RMA shipping label. They can send it to you via e-mail, especially if they use FexEx. You shouldn't have to pay for the shipping back to them. Ask them to look at the next kite before they ship the next one out. NO, you're not asking for too much to have an un-stained kite. At this point I wish I could get my money back. By the way, my bridle was White. If only the sail would have been.  Roll Eyes
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 07:12 PM »

you are talking about a Flying Wings produced kite, right?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 09:09 PM »

As a customer paying full price for a product I would expect to receive a product in new un-damaged condition.  The retailer should be responsible for the product.  I would like to know who it is not taking responsibility so that I can stay away from them.....

Bad business..  Horrible customer service....

Buying slightly damaged products generally will be offered at significant discounts..... Blems
np

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2014, 06:10 AM »

Bad business..  Horrible customer service....
You are absolutely correct. It was bad business and horrible customer service. I have all the e-mails to prove what I'm saying is the truth. I haven't lost mine (like the VA). But, I have been in this forum long enough to know everybody has different experiences. If I posted the name of the store there will always be several others who will say they have had excellent service from them. So, why bother? Some people may wear a pre-stained (White) shirt out to dinner. I prefer to stain my own with the BBQ sauce or whatever.

np

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2014, 06:12 AM »

@ Todd: Remember, you might not click with the NEW kite you bought.  So, if you decide to sell it you should disclose it will have stains on the sail. Not a very good selling point and will cause you to loose money. So, if it were me I would take their offer for a full return.
Todd Parker

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 04:42 PM »

Just to follow up, in case anyone is curious...   Smiley

I took the kite onto my back porch today to get a look at it in the sunlight.  I propped it up on a couple of lounge chairs.  It looks worse in the sunlight as the stains are more visible when backlit.  The stains are very visible from 10 feet away and are all over the sail.  This is not acceptable.

I am returning the kite.  The vendor has stated, in writing, that they will refund the full cost of the kite.  They also said that they will *refund* me up to $14 for shipping.  They will not provide a pre-paid shipping label.  I have to front the cost of shipping then hope they refund it and that what they refund is at least what I paid for shipping.

The person that I talked with at the vendor said that they do 10% Q.C.  In other words, they randomly open up 10% of their product for inspection before shipping.  The other 90% gets sent straight out the door.  I can understand that on a $40-$50 kite.  But that's not what I bought.  I'd think you'd want to do 100% Q.C. on the high-dollar stuff.
np

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 07:18 PM »

Glad to hear you are going to get your issue resolved properly. Are you going to get the same kite? Maybe they will QC it before shipping and everything will be good. I hope to get mine resolved tomorrow.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document