GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New kite with stains on the sail?  (Read 2754 times)
Todd Parker
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 06:16 AM »

No, I won't be getting the same kite again.  According to their customer service rep that I talked to, most instances of that model of kite have that issue.  Which means that if I want one of those, I will have to live with stains on the sail.  I don't get it, but I guess I don't have to.

I'm looking into a different brand, based on a recommendation and some research that I'm doing now.
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2014, 04:20 PM »

It might be helpful to mention the kite in question... help others from getting stuck with the same problem. It's pretty clear who the vendor is, but it doesn't seem to be their fault, unless they're storing their stock improperly.

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2014, 05:51 PM »

Plus if there was a certain kite you were looking for for a reason then if you mention which it was someone here will most likely have an idea of a replacement for you

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Todd Parker

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2014, 07:10 PM »

I'm sorry, but I just don't feel comfortable mentioning specifics in a public forum.  I have talked about the specifics in private messages to a couple of forum members.  One of whom gave me a recommendation on another kite that I'm seriously considering.

The original post wasn't meant as a cautionary tale on a specific kite model.  I was trying to find out if this was a common, normal, and even expected occurrence, since that was what the vendor was telling me and I was having a hard time believing that.

Thank you to everybody for your help.
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2014, 07:56 PM »

I'm sorry, but I just don't feel comfortable mentioning specifics in a public forum.  I have talked about the specifics in private messages to a couple of forum members.  One of whom gave me a recommendation on another kite that I'm seriously considering.

The original post wasn't meant as a cautionary tale on a specific kite model.  I was trying to find out if this was a common, normal, and even expected occurrence, since that was what the vendor was telling me and I was having a hard time believing that.

Thank you to everybody for your help.

Parker, you have joined a great forum for kiting and it has a wealth of information and great people.  Hope to see you posting and being active in the future.  What ever kite you choose I'm sure you'll have a blast...  Caution:  many more kites will surely be in your future....

Good Winds

Gamelord

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2014, 11:57 PM »

Stains on the sail can happen some times.  We had some kites that came in with some stains on them and worked with the customer and manufacturer to get the kites replaced with satisfactory units.  It is one of the things that can happen but from what we have seen over the last 12 years of business is that this is very rare.  I cant say for all manufacturers, but the ones that we carry have always stood behind their products and have replaced them no questions asked if there was ever an issue that was not satisfactory.  It didn't matter if it was small stains, bleeding from one color to another or the bridle or even stitch issues, glue issues, rods, etc...

Your dealer should take care of this for you without hesitation.  Being a dealer myself, I know first hand that it is something fairly simple to do.  Also, being a kite flyer, I would not accept a brand new expensive kite with stains on it, therefore I would not expect my customers to do the same.

I hope you get it taken care of.  If it is a kite from a manufacturer that we carry and your kite store doesn't get it taken care of for you.  Let me know and I will get it taken care of for you.

Let us know how it works out.

np

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2014, 06:00 AM »

According to their customer service rep that I talked to, most instances of that model of kite have that issue. 
It's too bad they don't disclose this information before you make your purchase.
np

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2014, 07:55 AM »

Rather than answering all of the PM's I received I'm going to answer everybody in here:
It would serve absolutely no purpose to disclose the name of the kite or the kite vendor. I myself have had good service from the VENDOR in the past as far as placing my order, receiving my correct order, speedy shipping, answering all my e-mails, and such. This problem was for a warrantee issue and the VENDOR wouldn't take their responsibility. They passed the buck to me to deal with the distributor/manufacturer. When I made contact with the distributor/manufacturer they said it was the VENDORS responsibility to take care of me, because I was their customer. If this is an example of how they take care of their customer service, this VENDOR will soon be added to the DOORS CLOSED for good list.

It's pretty clear who the vendor is, but it doesn't seem to be their fault, unless they're storing their stock improperly.
For all of those that may not have understood this issue: It was not the vendors fault the kite had stains, but it was the vendors responsibility to take care of ME. I know most of you in here. None of you would accept stains on any panel of your ($$$$) kites even though the stains do not affect the performance and you can't see the stains from the end of your lines.   

np

« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 02:57 PM »

I hope you get it taken care of.  If it is a kite from a manufacturer that we carry and your kite store doesn't get it taken care of for you.  Let me know and I will get it taken care of for you.

Let us know how it works out.
Kent, thanks for your offer to help. Everything worked out ok and I have a new kite. I purchased the "stained" kite on May 9th (invoice) and just received my new one yesterday.
There are boutique designers that could have designed two kites in that time frame.  Wink
Everything is  Cool and I'm working on your order. thanks, Norm
Gamelord

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 06:58 PM »

Awesome...glad you got it sorted out with whoever it was you were dealing with. Smiley

Todd Parker

« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 05:35 PM »

Stained kite redux....   Part II...   The saga continues....

I returned the kite to the vendor and they have refunded my money.  So that's OK.

I then bought another kite from a different vendor, made by a different manufacturer.  It showed up with the same problem.  The same *exact* problem.  The stains aren't as bad as the first kite, but they appear to be the same kind of thing.  Dark grey streaks running from the nose or leading edge to the trailing edge.  Sigh.

I contacted the vendor, who replied that in this case, the manufacturer likes to handle this type of thing directly.  At least the vendor didn't try to tell me that this was "normal".  The vendor contacted the manufacturer for me, and the manufacturer immediately shipped a replacement kite to me along with a pre-paid shipping label to send the other one back to them.  I received the replacement kite today.  And guess what?  It also has stains.  Again, not as bad.  This third kite doesn't have the long thin stains.  It just has a couple of smaller areas near the wing tips that are stained.

I sent another inquiry to the vendor asking about this, and asking for them to query the manufacturer about it.  This is three kites in a row with the same issue.  I'm starting to think that I have two choices : have a stained kite, or not have a kite at all.

This has been one of the more difficult purchases that I've ever made.  I thought this kite stuff was supposed to be fun...   Smiley

Well, whatever.  I thought I'd update this with my experiences so far in case anyone was curious.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 05:49 PM »

Odd saga as I've not seen that on a new kite before. While most of my kites are from custom builders, the half dozen or so 'factory' kites purchased the last couple of years have not had staining issues.  Shame on me though if I pack away a kite without proper drying when wet Roll Eyes

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
missionview

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2014, 07:26 PM »

You are having some bad luck. I have bought Skyburner, Skysport Designs, Prism, and Revolution kites, within the last year, and none of them had this problem.

Robert
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38 AM »

If you look at the amount of kites that come stained vs clean I am sure that the percentage is pretty low......
Staining might not have been caused by the manufacturer it could have been that the UPS driver left the box on his tail during a sudden downpour while loading his hand truck (had this happen)......

Todd, stick with it and feel free to ask the shop to do a visual check.... Explain that if they take two minutes to cheek that it could save them time and money as well solidify a happy long term customer..... I had customers that always requested a double check........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Todd Parker

« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2014, 03:21 PM »

The vendor gave me the name and phone number of their contact at the manufacturer.  I called.  The person that I spoke with said that the replacement kite was carefully inspected before it left the factory and that it was pristine before it left.  So this is happening during shipping.  I am in Florida and this is the summer, so maybe the extra heat and humidity is causing unusual problems.  They speculated that it is likely the bridle line that is causing the issue.

I'm convinced that they are right, it's the bridle line, as previously talked about in this thread.  I noticed that the bridle line on the first kite, model "A", and the second and third kites, model "B", appear to be identical.  And the color of the bridle line exactly matches the color of the stains.  Maybe the bridle line manufacturer has recently changed the dye that is used to something that is less color fast.

The manufacturer's representative offered to replace the kite again, perhaps in a different color scheme that might not show stains as much.  They even offered to replace it with a different model.  I declined.  I can see some stains on even the darker, colored areas of the sail, not just the lighter areas.  And if this is happening during shipping, then it will just happen again.  I don't think there's any hope for it.  This is the third time in a row.

So my choice is to keep it as it is, or return it to the vendor for a refund.  I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do.  I'd like to actually have a kite...  Smiley
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change