GWTW Forum
February 06, 2016, 03:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New kite with stains on the sail?  (Read 5611 times)
Todd Parker
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2014, 05:35 PM »

Stained kite redux....   Part II...   The saga continues....

I returned the kite to the vendor and they have refunded my money.  So that's OK.

I then bought another kite from a different vendor, made by a different manufacturer.  It showed up with the same problem.  The same *exact* problem.  The stains aren't as bad as the first kite, but they appear to be the same kind of thing.  Dark grey streaks running from the nose or leading edge to the trailing edge.  Sigh.

I contacted the vendor, who replied that in this case, the manufacturer likes to handle this type of thing directly.  At least the vendor didn't try to tell me that this was "normal".  The vendor contacted the manufacturer for me, and the manufacturer immediately shipped a replacement kite to me along with a pre-paid shipping label to send the other one back to them.  I received the replacement kite today.  And guess what?  It also has stains.  Again, not as bad.  This third kite doesn't have the long thin stains.  It just has a couple of smaller areas near the wing tips that are stained.

I sent another inquiry to the vendor asking about this, and asking for them to query the manufacturer about it.  This is three kites in a row with the same issue.  I'm starting to think that I have two choices : have a stained kite, or not have a kite at all.

This has been one of the more difficult purchases that I've ever made.  I thought this kite stuff was supposed to be fun...   Smiley

Well, whatever.  I thought I'd update this with my experiences so far in case anyone was curious.
stapp59
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 05:49 PM »

Odd saga as I've not seen that on a new kite before. While most of my kites are from custom builders, the half dozen or so 'factory' kites purchased the last couple of years have not had staining issues.  Shame on me though if I pack away a kite without proper drying when wet Roll Eyes

missionview
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 07:26 PM »

You are having some bad luck. I have bought Skyburner, Skysport Designs, Prism, and Revolution kites, within the last year, and none of them had this problem.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 04:38 AM »

If you look at the amount of kites that come stained vs clean I am sure that the percentage is pretty low......
Staining might not have been caused by the manufacturer it could have been that the UPS driver left the box on his tail during a sudden downpour while loading his hand truck (had this happen)......

Todd, stick with it and feel free to ask the shop to do a visual check.... Explain that if they take two minutes to cheek that it could save them time and money as well solidify a happy long term customer..... I had customers that always requested a double check........

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Todd Parker

« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2014, 03:21 PM »

The vendor gave me the name and phone number of their contact at the manufacturer.  I called.  The person that I spoke with said that the replacement kite was carefully inspected before it left the factory and that it was pristine before it left.  So this is happening during shipping.  I am in Florida and this is the summer, so maybe the extra heat and humidity is causing unusual problems.  They speculated that it is likely the bridle line that is causing the issue.

I'm convinced that they are right, it's the bridle line, as previously talked about in this thread.  I noticed that the bridle line on the first kite, model "A", and the second and third kites, model "B", appear to be identical.  And the color of the bridle line exactly matches the color of the stains.  Maybe the bridle line manufacturer has recently changed the dye that is used to something that is less color fast.

The manufacturer's representative offered to replace the kite again, perhaps in a different color scheme that might not show stains as much.  They even offered to replace it with a different model.  I declined.  I can see some stains on even the darker, colored areas of the sail, not just the lighter areas.  And if this is happening during shipping, then it will just happen again.  I don't think there's any hope for it.  This is the third time in a row.

So my choice is to keep it as it is, or return it to the vendor for a refund.  I haven't decided yet what I'm going to do.  I'd like to actually have a kite...  Smiley
northwavesailor
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2014, 04:10 PM »

Ship with the bridle removed?
basicbill

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 04:22 PM »

See if they would ship it overnight (Yeah I know, doubtful.) to minimize the heat and humidity exposure.

Bill

Captainbob

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2014, 05:38 PM »

Strange story. I have purchased 6 kites on line in the last 5 months in very Hot and humid Atlanta, and have not see one stain of any kind on any of them. Sounds to me like the shipper in your area has a problem. 

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Todd Parker

« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2014, 06:41 PM »

Yeah, I was wondering about asking if the bridle could be wrapped in plastic before the kite gets rolled up.  As far as removing the bridle, I doubt my ability to reinstall the bridle correctly.  Those knots look a little complicated.  Smiley

There were two different shipping methods : UPS ground and USPS Priority Mail 2-day. The Priority Mail shipment had to be on an airplane given the distance and timing.

6 kites in 5 months?  Wow.  The last kite that I bought before this was in the early 1980's.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 10:52 PM »

get rid of it,or live with even worse stains  What do you think is going to happen when you put the kite up after flying in your damp weather?? The manufacturer doesn't think its the bridle he knows its the bridle.. Another model? by the same Manufacturer?Same bridle line?? Anyway sorry this is happening and I hope it doesn't happen to someone else because he or she wasn't warned
good luck Kurt
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:54 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Captainbob

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2014, 05:05 AM »

I think bringing this issue up and not telling members the brand of the kite, is not helpful to the other members of the forum that want to avoid wasting time and money when they ruin into the same problem.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
missionview
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2014, 08:08 AM »

I think bringing this issue up and not telling members the brand of the kite, is not helpful to the other members of the forum that want to avoid wasting time and money when they ruin into the same problem.

I agree
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2014, 02:24 PM »

there has been no evidence provided to the community, only one sided testimony. so to attach a reputation to what so far is hearsay would be a disservice to the manufacturer, retailer, and the community.

Fdeli
Captainbob

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2014, 03:07 PM »

there has been no evidence provided to the community, only one sided testimony. so to attach a reputation to what so far is hearsay would be a disservice to the manufacturer, retailer, and the community.

Every forum I have been on, and I have been on plenty in the last 20+ years, has had posts from people having some issue that they are trying to resolve, with a product(s). There is no way that I can think of to "prove" any problem with any particular brand or product  to the readers of the forum. What is useful to forum members, is posts that explain a problem with a certain product, asking if anyone else has had a similar problem with that particular product  Not identifying the particular product that the OP is having a problem with  is of no use to anyone,  in my opinion. If the OP posted that he is having a problem with brand X, and two other people say they have  had the same problem, then everyone would learn that that the OP's problem is not an isolated instance. 

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2014, 06:42 PM »

the issue is not with software, electronics, a complicated mechanical system, or material defect. at issue is a blemish which (should be) easily rendered in a photograph.

your 20+ years experience should have also familiarized you with the common internet adage; pics or it didn't happen.

Fdeli
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom