GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monster UL  (Read 1752 times)
harveystubbs
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 12:56 AM »

Really nice work. Christian's kites are always good  Cool
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 09:49 AM »

Looks great.  One of these days I'll finally start my Monster build (once I finish the Essence SULs on the table!).  I may try a similar framing as you, as I have some nitro sticks I need to use. 
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 12:02 PM »

About the 'Monster' ...Is it a new free build offer? I haven't been on the forum all that much lately and am not familiar with it. Can you share more information about it? Like who designed it? If there's a pdf available for it...etc.?

PM me your emailaddress, i'll send you the plans.

This kite was designed by Christian Dérefat (Belgium).
Quartz, Organic, Vortex were his previous designs (and more before that).

Krijn

Thanks Krijn, email reply sent!
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 04:46 AM »

Nice work as usual.  Agree the Monster is a competent trickster.  Did one like you with P200s LEs and another with Nitro LEs.  Both seem to fly fine.  Are you going to do a UL?  I found the UL to fly well but needs more wind to power up than I had hoped.  Because of that, I started the Exile mod project...

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
photogbill

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2014, 11:07 AM »

Right, is does fly!

The chosen frame and weight seem perfect for this kite. Yoyo's are good and reliable and the Backflip is stable.
The one thing I do not like are the Backspins, bit hard to execute and not flat at all. But the rest is nice.

I especially like the Yoyo's (three in a row is no problem) and Rolling Cascade: very clear and easy to pull it out after one rotation.
Jacobsladders are smooth. (Multi)Slots: nice.
The Tazmachine needs a quite late second input, but the are beautiful.

This Monster looks great in the sky!

Krijn

Beautiful kite Krijn & excellently built! I was wondering if you have shot a video of it in flight yet? Everything sounds good except for the backspins....if they are hard for you to execute ...that concerns me as I'm not as good of a kite flier as you are! And how is it that JLs are smooth when part of the execution includes a backspin ...or 1/2 one anyway? I'm ready to start mine but after re-reading your analysis ...which I must have missed prior ...I'm now a little hesitant to proceed! Hoping you can convince me that it's worth putting off other build projects (a couple more Organics in particular) ...and going full steam ahead with the Monster build!
Stuart99

« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 06:23 PM »

Couple of quick questions about the Monster. 1. I do not see a tail weight listed in the plans. Where should I start? 2. Krijn's kite appears to not have a leech line. Does anyone know if Christian designed it to be built without one?

Thanks
stapp59
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 09:25 PM »

I pulled a leach line and keep it tight though the trailing edge still buzzes a bit when the wind picks up.  You could pull one and experiment with it.  Tail weight ended up with 25 gr thereabouts.  Make both adjustable and season to taste.

Couple of quick questions about the Monster. 1. I do not see a tail weight listed in the plans. Where should I start? 2. Krijn's kite appears to not have a leech line. Does anyone know if Christian designed it to be built without one?

Thanks

Steve in Indiana
http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59

Fly so it looks like you meant it
True Rookie
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2014, 02:57 AM »

Beautiful kite,  I love the little accent colors. I have been thinking of trying to make me a kite but not sure how that would work out since I don't know how to sew. I'm open for suggestions,  like should I even try,  can I use any sewing machine,  what material to practice with?  Or give up and leave it to the pro's and send them my designs.  Thanks for any advice,  Mike

The wind is blowing, hope I learn something today. If not it was still fun
DMF
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2014, 04:14 AM »

Beautiful kite,  I love the little accent colors. I have been thinking of trying to make me a kite but not sure how that would work out since I don't know how to sew. I'm open for suggestions,  like should I even try,  can I use any sewing machine,  what material to practice with?  Or give up and leave it to the pro's and send them my designs.  Thanks for any advice,  Mike

If you just want to learn how to sew I would suggest starting with a soft SLK suck as a pocket sled.  http://www.kiteplans.org/planos/pocket/pocket.html

If you make one and use an edge binding instead of a folded hem it will teach you most of the sewing skills you need in a nice small cheap project.  I would use spinnaker cloth .75 ripstop nylon or you could even use Tyvek

This would be a good starting place for sewing skills as you don't have to invest too much into it.  Any sewing machine that can do zig zag and triple stitch will work.

If your more ambitious and have decent building skills you could tackle this http://www.tweelijners.com/tom/tomskitesite-en/Plan.html….but I would still suggest sewing something easy first Smiley

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change