GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 02:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quantum  (Read 504 times)
CHopkins
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 04, 2014, 07:45 AM »

Can someone explain the difference between the Quantum and the Quantum Pro?
hawkerhunter

« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 08:04 AM »

There is no similarity except for the name. The Quantum uses pultruded graphite sticks and ripstop nylon and mylar laminate in its sail. The Quantum Pro uses skyshark P200 and 5PT wrapped graphite spreaders. The sail is ripstop polyester.
The Quantum you would thrash around on a beech and let your mates have a blast with the Quantum Pro you would cringe if your mates asked for a go and is the sort of kite you would use in top level competition. The other difference is the price. About 290 dollars difference. Ive never flown a Quantum but it has been designed with the begiinner in  mind. The Pro is a professional kite. They may look similar, most kites are similar in appearance, but Im pretty confident they are worlds apart in flight.
CHopkins

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:25 AM »

Actually, on Steve's website, the price difference appears to be about $195, still making the Quantum Pro about 3 times the price of the Quantum.  It seems really odd that they would use the same name for two totally unrelated kites.

But I see the frame and sail materials are different, as are the sizes of the two.  Then why the similar name?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 08:28 AM by chopkins » Logged
Trip
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 09:00 AM »

I own and fly a Quantum. Everywhere I go, kite people ask if I have a Quantum Pro. You're right tho... two totally different kites with the same name and worlds apart in flying characteristics.

I need to win the lottery. I guess that's the only way I'm gonna get the kites I really want.  Cry  One is the Quantum Pro.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:02 AM by Trip » Logged

Robert "Trip" Hilliard
http://hilliard.ws/kites.htm
http://hilliard.ws/kitegallery.htm

"May the wind be at our backs. Stations." -- Kirk, TSFS
hawkerhunter

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2014, 09:42 AM »

I based my price on UK costings

Quantum  84 = $144
Quantum Pro 250 = $430
CHopkins

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2014, 10:22 AM »

Wow, big difference.  Kitekids.net has the Quantum for $105.95 and the Quantum Pro for $299.95
Hadge

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2014, 10:44 AM »

Wow, big difference.  Kitekids.net has the Quantum for $105.95 and the Quantum Pro for $299.95

Yep, import charges really kill us for anything coming from Stateside. Sad

Going back to your question, I seem to remember reading somewhere that if you lay the Hypnotist sail on top of the Q Pro sail they are virtually identical ( at least shape wise - obviously not the same materials).

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2014, 11:46 AM »

Kitekids.net has the Quantum for $105.95 and the Quantum Pro for $299.95
don't forget that forum members get a 10% discount  Wink

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
etully
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 12:00 PM »

What if say you buy a kite and someone agrees to take the kite to pieces and ships it to you from US of A in several packages?  Could you get around import duties that way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+20)

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 12:49 PM »

Yeah, two totally different kites. The QPro is 10" wider in wingspan for starters, and in sport kite terms that's huge. But there are really no common elements besides the name. I recall that when Mark created the Quantum he liked it so much he started to work on an upgraded version, but the design process went way beyond the usual "better frame and poly sail" upgrades into a whole new kite. One year at Kite Party he mentioned something about an upgraded Quantum and the idea and name sort of stuck. I think he regretted it. Two excellent kites. I recommend the Quantum as an all around kite for beginning and advancing fliers.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum