GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 12:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana FX assistance  (Read 6391 times)
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2009, 10:53 PM »

Got some success today. Smiley

Taking the info that you posted I found that not only were all the c-clips stuck in the wrong places so the location of the upper and lower spreaders on the LE's were all different, but I also had a frankenstein bridle. Every outhaul and in haul were different lengths!!

So I adjusted everything up and gave it a pretty short UO of 50 cm (suits me  - although perhaps it is a little short as the flick flacks were very "flicky" and I had the nose pulled in hard.
Also had 1 x BMK weight just behind the centre T. I think the bridle is pretty right, I till need to get the weight(s) positioned better - but all in all I am very pleased with the improvement. It's a much better balanced and neutral feeling kite now - small inputs are definitely the key!

Thanks again to everyone for your assistance...

cheers

steve

(Kevin you are welcome to try it at any stage !) Grin
fworley
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 06:23 AM »

With that bridle of Britt's (see Everett's post) it doesn't pull much at all ... least not
at less that 12/14mph. I got mine from Britt and the kite was great from 3/4 to 12 so I never dicked with the bridle.

Definitely a kite I should have keep ... but for the lure of the silver ball ...

-Frazer
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 06:24 PM by fworley » Logged
Beachbum
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 06:05 PM »

I've been trying to remember what it was like before Fraz grabbed my FX.  I do remember that the new bridle changed the pull a little, but the goal was to really improve the feedback.  Overall I do remember that the pull was more consistent and wasn't as "Yanky" as the stock bridle.

...and for 208cm it's a truck.
fworley
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 07:03 PM »

I just buy a Benson or a VSK and fly, no re-building required  Cool
True enough ... but without construction the likes of R-Sky you'd might never full appreciate their (Benson, VSK, BMK, JoE, Focus) quality  Smiley

-Frazer
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 07:10 PM »

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread as but..anybody have any similar mods for the Nirvana Extend?

Like the NFX, the Extend's default bridle is way too heavy and oversteers like crazy, 1 pop yoyos take a lot of effort etc..Feels weird flying a small 2.1m kite that pulls a lot in high winds, oversteers, but yet need small wrist like inputs.

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
steve.hobart

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 09:38 PM »

how true ! I really appreciated the construction quality of Tim's kites before, just didn't realise how far ahead of many others he was!
This one was a project for me though to learn a bit more about framing and bridles , so I am not unhappy (it wasn't an expensive kite to begin with),

Mind you, the few R-Sky's that I have flown are an absolute joy to fly..

cheers

steve

Adicakes
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 10:23 PM »

I hope I'm not hijacking this thread as but..anybody have any similar mods for the Nirvana Extend?

I'll PM you a comment or two about that.
Beachbum
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2009, 10:23 PM »

There is also a nice price difference with a VSK too.  After all of the R-sky's I have owned I still went back to the Vendetta.

-Darryl

What are the measurements on the Extend bridle?

Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 11:00 PM »

I tied up a new turbo bridle for the NFX on Sunday. The oversteer actually increased a bit but the actual tricks seem less touchy than with the 3 point. Tazes are spinier looking. I didn't get the best feel for it with the wind being 10-15 with 24 mph gusts but I think I'll leave it on.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
steve.hobart

« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 08:58 PM »

Ok, I have re-framed this baby  - pulled apart my old (300 hrs plus) E2 to use parts of the frame and APA connectors.

New NFX frame as follows:

lower spreaders = 5PT
LE's P200 (LLE = directly out of the E2, ULE = P200 cut to length) - ferruled so I can break it down for travel more easily than the single length original structil LE's.
Spine = original 6 mm structil
Upper spreader = original structil 6mm
weights: 1 x BMK with o-ring held just below the centre T and 1 x BMK at the tail.
Bridle UO now 50.5 cm. Other lengths the same (except adjusted up to be even).

Tested today in 4-6 mph smooth winds (actually superb winds - so good that even my zephyr would have flown well today! Grin).

The kite is flying very nicely indeed. Feels very very close to my other Nirvana. I find the stiffer frame a better option for me, better connection with the kite and less spongy - also handles the gusts well.
(The E2 rods have never flown so well!!!!)

Very easy to trick as per all Nirvana's, especially backspins, JL cascades, comete's, inverses, Taz's yo fades and generally all pitch tricks with very little effort.

I'm a very happy man. It's the first time that I have re-framed a kite and played with a bridle and I feel that I have got something very close to a Nirvana (at least for a 2m kite) for the price of a SF.

thanks for all your help.

cheers

steve Grin Grin Grin
coogee

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 08:25 PM »

Yeah G'Day,
                I have just acquired  a NFX and love it. What a hoot of a kite. I will fly it standard for a while but would like to put some tail weight on this kite. Just what is a BMK and what does it weigh.
          All the best from Coogee Australia.
              Mike
Dolphinboy

« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2009, 10:03 AM »

Yeah G'Day,
                I have just acquired  a NFX and love it. What a hoot of a kite. I will fly it standard for a while but would like to put some tail weight on this kite. Just what is a BMK and what does it weigh.
          All the best from Coogee Australia.
              Mike

BMK = Blue Moon Kites. They, and others, make a weight set that fits over the spine. I make my own out of brass tubing from the plumbing store and some O rings or stoppers so they don't slide around.

Most of the tail weights I make are lead sandwiched between Velcro and then just Velcro it on the tail. Very quick and easy to change but you can't slide them further up the spine like the brass ones.

I don't know what version of NFX you have but my NFX has an internal tail weight installed and I add 5-6 grams more.  I have also added 5 grams just below the center T as ET sugested earlier and like it like that. But I've also change the bridle and reframed it so your results will vary from mine.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
coogee

« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 07:31 PM »

G'day
       So you are running 10 to 12 gms on the tailweights? this is in 2 pieces one on the tail and one on the spine under the centre T. Have you tried installing roll bars a la Benson Deepspace. What do you think of the idea of installing a leach line to quieten the little beast and maybe get a bit more in low breeze with the leech of the sail being a bit tighter. Hmmm great kite and I think it has real charactor.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Dolphinboy

« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 02:08 PM »

For weight, I have the internal stock spine weight, a 5g copper tube slid up to the CT and then I was putting 6g extra on the tail when the wind picks up but now I've just been leaving it on.

I don't know if all the mods I've done to the NFX are an improvement over the stock set up or not. I purchase mine used with a custom frame already on it, so I've never flown the NFX in stock form. I liked the kite but some tricks were strange and the balance seemed wrong to me, so I spent some time trying to tweak it. I finally gave in and just reframed it like ET had done his. I then tied up a turbo bridle for it too.

If I had started from stock, I may not have done anything or just played with the weight and bridle before trying something like a reframe / new bridle.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum