GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 08:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nirvana FX assistance  (Read 5534 times)
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: July 01, 2009, 09:53 PM »

Hi all,

I have a NFX (nylon sail and all structil frame) and am having some mixed success with it's flight and I would be keen to hear people's views on the kite and their preferred way of setting the kite up.

I still have only had a few sessions with it (albeit in some bumpy winds), so I still perhaps have some adjustment in my flying style to do to adjust to the kite.

However my main frustration is it's twitchiness going into a fade, both from the flare and axel.
This may be due to the bumpier winds (although my SF was handling the winds in a fade easily), or my heavy handedness of course!

The kite came without weights, I added 1 x BMK weight to the tail and it improved things somewhat.

I'd be curious of your views of this kite, what weight setup you normally use and the wind conditions you normally fly it in (does it particularly dislike bumpier winds).

cheers

steve
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 10:16 PM »

You fly inland or on the beach?  What the normal wind speed range you fly in or would like to fly in?  4 to 10ish or 6 to 14ish?  I've got ton of hours and setups on mine.

For starters... not enough weight with just 6 grams at the tail.       
steve.hobart

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 10:45 PM »

Hi ET,

thanks for the quick reply. I've been flying the NFX inland. The winds haven't been ideal , 8-12 mph and somewhat bumpy, however I have been flying my SF 2.3 STd alongside the NFX and the SF handles these winds relatively easily and is still very trickable and well behaved (very stable in the fade in these conditions).

Sounds like I need more weight. Did yours come with weight like the Nirvana Std and SF or have you added yours later?

cheers

steve
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 10:49 PM »

Check your bridle, mine didn't match any of the measurements I've seen posted anywhere.
Mine seems to handle my crappy inland winds pretty good. But I have the Icky version and I just framed it like ET's. I am also flying it with the nose pulled all the way forward. It had some oversteer but that's much better with the nose in. The kite feels less crazy but still very tricky.

Custom frame:
Stock spine + 5 g TW
P200 LEs
5PT LSs

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
steve.hobart

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 11:10 PM »

Thanks. I've been thinking about a re-frame in skyshark rods....

Bridle sounds like the thing to look at first. I wouldn't mind getting your bridle measurements at some stage if that is ok.

Sounds like you and ET have this kite worked out pretty well.

Many thanks

steve
Bugly
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:15 PM »

more weight steve, my fx is the sport stock except it has some additional 10gms or so tacked on.  Fun kite - I prefer it to the extend version
Dolphinboy

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 11:29 PM »

I just copied what ET had already done.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
ET
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 07:12 AM »

So you know… I don’t compete in any way, prefer 2 meters or less, and usually fly on 75’ to 100’ lines.

Frame setup:
Stock I think uses structil all around with P200 LS’s.  After 3 or 4 frame combinations, I’ve settled with P200 leading edges and 5PT spreaders.  Second choice would to just switch out the spreaders to 5PT.  Keep in mind that the spine stays stock with the internal weight.

Also a 3PT LS, P200 spine and 3PT LE’s is kick ass.  Probably closer to the Nirvana UL in this setup than the Nfx to the standard Nirvana.

Bridle:
Rogers – Way better than the stock IMO.  Better in winds 4ish to 12ish.  Direct and you’ll have to be quick in dumping the wind when you want to stall it.  12 plus and it’ll pull like a 2.3M sized kite would.  Cutting corners is quick and in bumpy winds can get kinda fast.         
3 point
54cm UO
45cm LO
57cm Inhaul 

Britts – Better precision over Rogers and feels like a lager size kite.  Better on 85’ to 100’ lines, better in bumpier/higher winds, pulls more, and maybe even a tad more oversteer. Better in 5ish to 17ish winds.
Reverse turbo
50.5cm UO
45cm LO
6cm turbo
53cm Inhaul

Mine – Tad less in precison, alittle less unstable, better on 65’ to 85’ lines.
Reverse turbo
49cm UO
45cm LO   
6cm turbo       
52cm inhaul

Weights:
With the internal weight, I prefer Roger’s with an extra 6g (BMK) weight at the tail.  And when the winds pick up, another 6g just below the center T held with O-rings – pretty fun pitchy stuff. 

For a good 2 years or so, I’ve had the extra weight at the tail but now like it without the extra weight.  The turbo leg really makes it pitchy... too pitchy.

The Nfx needs wind.  Really sucks under 4ish range but a blast in 6 plus.  If I were to enter into a Tricks Party event on a whim, without hesitation I would grab this kite. 

In the 12-18 winds you mention, go for the reverse turbo.  Shorten the UO to your liking.  I like a slight oversteer in kites and tend to go as far back as possible.

Hopes this helps or add some sort of direction (or confusion) down another path.  Should you come up with something, would like to get your thoughts and notes.
Cheers,
Everett 
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 10:18 PM by ET » Logged
Dolphinboy

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 08:37 AM »

My NFX bridle measurements:

3 Point
55.5 cm UO on the center pigtail knot & 53.5 cm on the shortest
43 cm LO   
56 cm Inhaul   

Even with the nose pulled in, the bridle is still set heavy. Super ez to stall even in strong winds and the NFX pulls very hard for it's size no matter how I set the bridle. I am going to try another bridle eventually.

Peace

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
steve.hobart

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 03:34 PM »

thanks everyone. I appreciate your sharing of info.

Today I am planning to measure up and adjust the bridle and play with some weight settings until I get some improvements. In the next month or so I might do the re-frame but I figure I have some work to do with weights and bridle first.

I really feel this kite has potential, and have a feeling that the particular one I have may have a bridle that is not right. (Interesting that it came without weights, but luckily have a a good supply of BMK's!).

Thanks again

Steve
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 07:12 PM »

My Standard Sport NFX has the following bridle:

UO - 51.5cm
LO - 45cm
In - 57cm

It's convertible to a Reverse Turbo with 3cm and 6cm turbo leg options. Tried the 3 point today and the 6cm RT and had a great time. Right now favor the RT but the 3 point ain't half bad.

For framing, my standard wind NFX is framed as stock and performs great. I've tried the P200/5pt framing and found it to be nice but frankly I prefer the stock set up. At 2 meters it's hard to beat Structil LE's, IMO.

For weight, I've forgotten what I have for inserted tail weight but have placed a 5g BMK weight with O rings and slide it up near the T and adjust as needed. That tidbit I got from ET some time back.

I have to say I'm glad you guys reminded me of this gem that's been sitting in my bag without much use. I fairly well wringed her out today and I think we were both satisfied with our day at the field. Wink

steve.hobart

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 11:26 PM »

Thanks Randy (and everyone), very useful info.

Ive made some bridle adjustments and added weights and I'm planning to do some more tests with it tomorrow if the winds are suitable.

thanks

Steve :-)
tpatter

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 12:13 AM »

You guys that fly them, does the NFX pull less than than the standard Nirvana in say, 10 mph of wind?

I would assume since it is smaller that it pulls much less, has smaller inputs, and is faster.  Does this fit with what you experience?  Also, likely needs less weight.

6 kite tom
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 07:30 PM »

Steve

If you can't get it to fly the way you like, send it to me ( but don't expect it back)  Cheesy

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Dolphinboy

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 08:12 PM »

You guys that fly them, does the NFX pull less than than the standard Nirvana in say, 10 mph of wind?

I would assume since it is smaller that it pulls much less, has smaller inputs, and is faster.  Does this fit with what you experience?  Also, likely needs less weight.

It pulls less than a full sized N but it does pull hard for it's size (2 m). It has a heavy set bridle so that's part of it.

Hit it like a Nirvana and you'll be wondering what just happened, so yes, small in puts needed. The forward speeds not crazy fast or anything but it will sure trick fast. Just about as fast as you can dish it out. I was flying it in 10-15 mph winds today and I think my lines were smokin'  Cheesy

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change