GWTW Forum
November 28, 2014, 04:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for suggestions for good beginner stunt kite  (Read 2063 times)
macdawg
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 11, 2014, 12:59 PM »

Hey there,

I'm looking for suggestions for a good beginner stunt kite. I have had a Prism Nexus for a few years, simply flying it a few times each summer. But now I'm getting more into it, and working on better handling and tricks, etc.

To give a sense of my skill level: I launch and land decently, and have decent control across the wind window with push/pull/combo, etc. I am getting better at stalls and just started working on pancake to fade.

I like the Nexus, but after reading around, it sounds like it might be worth having a bigger/slower kite for learning. Sound right?

If so, what kites should I look in to? The Quantum and the Widow Maker NG are all that have come up in my research thus far, but I'd like some thoughts from the more experienced fliers out there.

Thanks!
Mac
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:14 PM »

What is your budget like?

Keep an eye on the swap meet on this forum.
@

Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There  You Are.

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 01:20 PM »

If you have been flying that long and use the terms you did,

you can buy a top end sport kite with no fears, except price.

There are many, many excellent kites you could consider,

either new or on the Swap Meet from time to time.

Usually, people should progress in this fashion:

beginner sport kite, high end sport kite

You have no real need for an intermediate kite other than

price and/or graphics you would like to look at.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
macdawg

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 01:50 PM »

@cerfvoliste Probably around $200, give or take.
Captainbob

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 02:09 PM »

I love my Widow NG and it's a lot of kite for the money it cost,

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
cerfvoliste
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 02:44 PM »

What john said. In your price range you might find a used Blue Moon Exile, Skysport Sea Devil or ATM, (oops) Skyburner Widowmaker, Prism Quantum Pro or Benson Gemini. If your looking for a new kite in your price range, I would suggest something with positive feedback like the Prism Zephyr or Flying Wings Soul. If you want to push your budget a little bit take a closer look a new (oops) Skyburner Widowmaker or Skysport Designs ATM.

There are so many nice kites out there, I am sure you will hear some other good suggestions as well.
@

Captainbob

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 02:45 PM »

What john said. In your price range you might find a used Blue Moon Exile, Skysport Sea Devil or ATM, Premier Widowmaker, Prism Quantum Pro or Benson Gemini. If your looking for a new kite in your price range, I would suggest something with positive feedback like the Prism Zephyr or Flying Wings Soul. If you want to push your budget a little bit take a closer look a new Premier Widowmaker or Skysport Designs ATM.

There are so many nice kites out there, I am sure you will hear some other good suggestions as well.
@

The Premier Kite is the Widow NG.  The Widowmaker is by Skyburner, and costs about twice as much. 

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 04:07 PM »

I agree with Jon, there is no reason to settle for an 'intermediate' kite. High end kites cost a little more, but after flying them for a few years, who remembers how much they cost ? The difference in quality materials and excellent assembly is well worth a few more bucks. That is, if you appreciate that kind of thing.
A high end kite also retains much of it's original value if you were to sell it. Intermediate kites aren't even worth selling used, the money that they'll bring would just be disappointing...

wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 05:36 PM »

Something important is figuring the wind conditions where you are primarily going to fly. Do you want a Std. wind range kite or do you need an (SUL) Super Ultra Light or (UL) Ultra Light or high wind kite.  Ask questions about real wind ranges of kites you are  interested in someone on here will help.

I have found that reading through the forum and asking questions has helped me alot. 

For me finding the correct kite for the wind conditions most common where I fly was the biggest help in learning. 

I am very happy with a recent purchase for 2-6 mph beach wind Sky Burner Freestylist.  Most kites will be available in several wind ranges.  Watch the Forum Swap Meet, Very Honest People Here!! 

For me I also found that I needed a mild mannered slower tricking kite instead of the high dollar faster than my reflexes stunt machine.  I can't help but state how happy I am with the Sky Burner Freestylist, I have the UL (bought here on the forum) and the progress I have made with it so far is incredible.  In my opinion it is awesome...Won't break the bank either..

No!!  I don't have one for sale and don't think I ever will...

I would say that I am now advancing into the intermediate flyer realm which is what you also sound to be.
Charles P

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 08:41 AM »

+1 on Chilese's comment.

When I started getting into stunt flying I spent a few years buying intermediate kites and in hind sight I wish I hadn't.
  It sounds like you have a handle on controlling the kite so crashing should not be a huge issue.
 Go with a high end kite, the performance of a high end kite as opposed to an intermediate kite is like night and day.

In the bag,

Seven SUL, Deep Space UL, Seven Std., Deep Space Vented
Captainbob

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 09:17 AM »

Something important is figuring the wind conditions where you are primarily going to fly. Do you want a Std. wind range kite or do you need an (SUL) Super Ultra Light or (UL) Ultra Light or high wind kite.  Ask questions about real wind ranges of kites you are  interested in someone on here will help.

I have found that reading through the forum and asking questions has helped me alot. 

For me finding the correct kite for the wind conditions most common where I fly was the biggest help in learning. 

I am very happy with a recent purchase for 2-6 mph beach wind Sky Burner Freestylist.  Most kites will be available in several wind ranges.  Watch the Forum Swap Meet, Very Honest People Here!! 

For me I also found that I needed a mild mannered slower tricking kite instead of the high dollar faster than my reflexes stunt machine.  I can't help but state how happy I am with the Sky Burner Freestylist, I have the UL (bought here on the forum) and the progress I have made with it so far is incredible.  In my opinion it is awesome...Won't break the bank either..

No!!  I don't have one for sale and don't think I ever will...

I would say that I am now advancing into the intermediate flyer realm which is what you also sound to be.

Still patiently waiting for my Freestylist UL to arrive.In the meantime flying the Niknak today and having a blast in the 2mph breeze.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
macdawg

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 10:24 AM »

Thanks for all the input, guys.

You've all convinced me to go for a higher end kite, though I'd love some more suggestions on specific kites to look into. I'm not entirely sure what kites are/aren't what you guys would consider "higher end".

Such a tough decision with all the options out there!

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 10:26 AM by macdawg » Logged
missionview

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 11:17 AM »

Skyburner Widowmaker standard and ultralight

Robert
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2014, 12:31 PM »

The model most owned at our Friday Night Fly in Las Vegas is the

Widow Maker UL. It can be had in several stock color combinations,

or you can spend $40 extra to have custom colors. While there are

many other choices, the WMUL handles a wide range of wind speeds,

is very forgiving and an excellent compromise between tricks and precision.

Are there any local fliers who have kites you could try out? Fly before you buy

is the best way to go.  Smiley

There is a Masquerade in the Swap Meet for $130. That would be an excellent

used kite. I have a few kites made by Wayne Knott. The Masquerade is my favorite.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 12:33 PM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2014, 02:31 PM »

if you made a radar chart, and put things on it like price, build quality, durability, low wind performance, precision, tricks, and ease of flight, in my opinion the kites which would fill out the chart with the best general overall statistics in north america would be the widow maker, and in europe would be a nirvana variant. they're both great generalists and would score well in all categories.

*this chart is not representative of any specific kite, but of the chart itself.

Fdeli
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum