GWTW Forum
October 26, 2014, 01:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for suggestions for good beginner stunt kite  (Read 1855 times)
macdawg
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 09:53 PM »

Thanks, everyone.

It's gonna be a Widow Maker. Now, should I go UL or Std? I'm in Portland, Or...
Wayner
Trade Count: (+17)

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 12:26 AM »

Thanks, everyone.

It's gonna be a Widow Maker. Now, should I go UL or Std? I'm in Portland, Or...

You will want both.  Showing up at your flying field with a ul & std will cover most wind conditions. 

As which to buy 1st, you know your winds best.  Note the std has a wider wind range. 

The price for performance makes getting a set of Freestylist a real deal.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 06:15 PM »

you gain maybe 1-2 mph in low wind ability to fly with the UL but personally, the performance tradeoff in other areas isn't worth it, especially as a first kite. the standard widowmaker is already an outstanding low wind flier. the UL widowmaker frame is also substantially more fragile than the standard. unless you have a standard kite you're happy with already, start with the standard. the UL is a specialty kite.

Fdeli
macdawg

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2014, 03:25 PM »

Ordered a std! Thanks, guys!

dragonfish

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2014, 09:10 PM »

Nice.  (Where's the thumbs up emoticon?)  Looks familiar Cheesy  Local guy has one just like it. 
macdawg

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2014, 09:24 PM »

dragonfish : I did copy the design from one I found in Google images when I searched for 'widow maker custom', so likely Smiley Props to whoever designed it.
dragonfish

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2014, 11:46 PM »

Haha, nice.  Thank drmndrew82 on this forum. 
xxxtdriver
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2014, 08:00 PM »

+1 on Chilese's comment.

When I started getting into stunt flying I spent a few years buying intermediate kites and in hind sight I wish I hadn't.
  It sounds like you have a handle on controlling the kite so crashing should not be a huge issue.
 Go with a high end kite, the performance of a high end kite as opposed to an intermediate kite is like night and day.

+1 on that , I too bought "wasted" money on run of the mill kites only to have them sit in the bag or wasting my time trying to make them fly, spend the bux and get something good! buying funky kites is a bad habit
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 08:02 PM by xxxtdriver » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change