GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 01:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Real kite addiction  (Read 889 times)
JimNZ
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 11, 2014, 03:38 PM »

As a new member of the forum, I just read Mikey's post about his addiction after buying his second kite.  I can attest to the addictive nature of kites, after acquiring hundreds in the last few years. I have also become addicted to making videos of my kites and others, and now have over 400 videos, all in high definition, on YouTube.  I've posted a link on the Photos & Videos section of the forum, but I'll repeat it here for convenience.  A lot of people have found the videos useful when choosing a new kite - it's always nice to see how the thing really looks and flies, rather than go by an often-poor illustration in a catalog or online advertisement.  See http://www.youtube.com/user/JimsKitesNZ .  I hope you enjoy what you see!

Jim
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 03:56 PM »

Welcome, Jim ! I've been watching your videos for some time, and yes, I've made kite buying decisions based on them. Thank you for those videos, and glad to see you here !

basicbill
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 07:16 PM »

I've watched some of your videos in the past. Nicely done.

Bill

Tmadz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:43 PM »

I've enjoyed your website and used your reviews when deciding on buying new kites. You definitely got the bug.
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 12:19 AM »

Jim welcome to the forum 

Enjoy your videos and Web site.  We share a lot of the same kites and your reviews have inspired me to buy even more   Wink
JimNZ

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 05:03 AM »

Thanks, everyone, for your welcome.  I'm glad some people find the videos (and website) entertaining or even useful.  I am an old guy (74 this year) and probably totally crazy to be buying so many kites when I shall probably wear out before they do.  I've already bought one from the swap meet on the forum and no doubt will buy more.

Living in Christchurch, New Zealand, I am a lone flier most of the time, as kite-flying is just not popular here, despite my efforts to interest others.  People like to watch, but to fly a kite themselves is not on their agenda.  Any forum member who happens to be heading this way is welcome to come and help me fly anything he or she wants from my over-large collection.

Jim
Mikey1
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2014, 05:40 AM »

i have watched lots of your videos and love them!.....i am sure i will end up just like you one day!....i messeged you on youtube the other day asking about your 5m 16 foot!

glad to hear i am not the only one addicted, i wish kites were more popular in my area  Sad
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 05:42 AM by Mikey1 » Logged
Hal

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 08:26 PM »

Thanks, everyone, for your welcome.  I'm glad some people find the videos (and website) entertaining or even useful.  I am an old guy (74 this year) and probably totally crazy to be buying so many kites when I shall probably wear out before they do.  I've already bought one from the swap meet on the forum and no doubt will buy more.

Living in Christchurch, New Zealand, I am a lone flier most of the time, as kite-flying is just not popular here, despite my efforts to interest others.  People like to watch, but to fly a kite themselves is not on their agenda.  Any forum member who happens to be heading this way is welcome to come and help me fly anything he or she wants from my over-large collection.

Welcome Jim,

We were down your way this May, flew my Rev at Brown's Bay and Long Bay -Torbay north of Auckland.  Yup, not many other kiters around.  Fantastic beaches and country!  Trip was twenty years too short. Smiley

Hal
Helena, MT
Hal

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 08:30 PM »

BTW, not to worry about your addiction.  Though there is no known cure, the effects of it are very uplifting.  You can't have too many kites!

Hal
Helena, MT
JimNZ

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 09:54 PM »

Hal,

"Down your way" is a tiny bit of exaggeration.  Auckland is around 1000km (600 miles) from Christchurch, but I guess you were a lot closer than you normally are.  The North Island has more kite-fliers than where I am, in the South Island.  My nearest flying buddy is a three-and-a-half hour drive from here, and the next nearest another hour or more from there.

We have one kite festival a year, when a lot of people get out their kites for an annual outing, but normally there's just me, and an over-70 lady who makes her own kites from rubbish bags (and they fly very well!)

Jim

Jim
Hal

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2014, 08:58 PM »

We toured the South Island too...down to Dunedin and over to Milford Sound.  Missed Christchurch.  Hopefully next time!

Hal
Helena, MT
JimNZ

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 04:11 PM »

Hal,

Let me know if you do come to Christchurch, or nearby, and we can fly together.  I have more than enough kites!

Jim

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum