GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 12:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun Fly at Overpeck Park, Bergen County, New Jersey - July 19, 2014  (Read 3061 times)
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 13, 2014, 09:50 AM »

Kurtis Jones posted the following fun fly on Facebook, which I hope to attend:

Flash Fly - " Its a Great Day to Fly Kites "

A unofficial kite event, no sponsors, no sound, no registration, no boundaries, no competition, no pressure, no money needed.

Come with any kind of kite and any kind of people.  Make a kite, dig out that old dusty kite from the attic, buy a new kite, borrow a kite (OPK), share a kite, whatever.  Just get your hands on a kite.

This is an unofficial event.  You are responsible for everything including having a good time.

When:  July 19, 1pm
Rain Date:  July 20, 1pm
  Fort Lee Road
  Leonia, New Jersey
  https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8571465,-74.0089872,19z

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 10:25 AM »

I've heard that people fly there, even pulled off to check it out when I've been stuck in traffic. Is the fun fly there because Liberty State Park is too crowded this time of year ?

Doug S

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 01:48 PM »

Rob,

I don't know why it's not at Liberty State Park.  You would have to ask Kurtis.  Either location works for me.

Doug

indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 12:10 PM »

I grew up just around the corner from there..... a million years ago.  Shocked

ATB,
Sam
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 05:27 AM »

HMMM ... just around the corner ... I will be there KITE-LESS - all my kites are in Asbury Park, NJ. Nice field - flew SUL dual kites on 50-60' there after work many times at dusk in the early days before my AP place when the winds comes form the SE,S or SW - anything else your stuck with single line above the tree cover but no problem launching - not the BEACH but that south wind is NICE and UNMOLESTED/SMOOTH ... its hard to believe your only 5 minutes from the GW Bridge - best flying field IMO around NYC other than Liberty SP with any of these SOUTH WIND combinations ... for duals or quads. In particular if you look to the SW from the center of the field there is not ONE BUILDING for miles (if any). Strange ... yet there IT IS ... the PERFECT WIND TUNNEL in a semi-urban area. NICE.

APJ 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 05:34 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Doug S

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 09:12 AM »

NOAA's current weather prediction for Saturday afternoon is temperatures in the high 70s, cloudy with light winds (3 mph) out of the south southeast.  If the weather remains as predicted by NOAA (That will be the day!), great time to fly ultra-light dual line and glider kites.  As usual, I will bring my assortment of kites to fly (dual line, single line and glider kites).

Doug

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 03:05 PM »

OK. I just bought a simple single line kite which I have in Midland Park but no kite line  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy ... but will try your stuff  Cry Cry Cry - I have two glider kites ... Zero G and that Swiss kite ... 300? The name escapes me ... should be good ...  Cool Cool Cool
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 03:11 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
Doug S

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2014, 05:25 AM »

Updated NOAA weather prediction for Saturday afternoon is a temperature high of 81 to 82 F, partly sunny with 5 mph winds out of the south southeast.  Looks like the weather is getting better, but you never know until the day of the event.  Currently NOAA is predicting for the morning winds at 1 to 2 mph that will shift from north clockwise to south then increasing to 5 mph by 2 pm.  Will check with Kurtis to see if the park is available before 1 pm.  Would like to fly some of my ultra-light gliders in the light morning air.

asburyparkjohn,

I usually bring three large MLD bags full of kites (stunt kites, single line kites, and glider kites), along with my flat storage sleeves for the ultra-light Raperes, Hawks and Birds of Prey.  No worries about something for you to fly.

Later,

Doug
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:10 AM by Doug S » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 09:05 AM »

Updated NOAA weather prediction for Saturday is mostly sunny, with a high near 85 F.  Light and variable wind becoming southeast at 5 to 7 mph in the late morning.  You just never know the actual weather until the day of the event.  Got to love the accuracy of weather forecasting  Cheesy

Guest most of my glider kites will stay in their respective kite bags.  Time to have fun with the dual line kites again.   Grin

Later,

Doug

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 11:04 AM »

I found in this field DIVIDE by 2 on the wind forecast ... from memory ... have not been there in 4-5 years ... think SUL unless above 10 mph on the forecast OR PURE SW ... if Pure SW then NO DIVISOR ... IMO. Currently ... bring the gliders at 5-7 mph ESE as back-ups. Not sure if we are talking about the same spot near the entrance road with a 360* walk-around which is the best flying IMO or KJ is thinking of somewhere else in the park? Could be wrong ... a new field was created?

This field from the road just AFTER entering the park and to the LEFT side is the kite field I am discussing/recommending - see image:

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/53910740

Thats  the 360* pedestrian path at the bottom and further down the image is car parking (not shown). This field has an American Flag flying in one corner (in this image to the right - not shown). In the back (driving further into the park) are soccer fields and a football field - buidings/tree cover block the SW wind tunnel in these two locations - not recommended.

APJ
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:25 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Doug S

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 11:40 AM »

asburyparkjohn,

Thank you for the information on the park, which looks great!  I don't know where NOAA's weather station is for the projected forecast.  It's indicating NYC, even though I used Leonia, NJ.  On Kurtis Jones Facebook posting to questions, I think he wants to be near the Amphitheater.

I always bring my three kite bags (dual line, single line and glider), because you never know what the weather will be until you get to the field and during the day.  I have flown my Bird of Prey (BOP) glider kites in winds around 10 mph without a problem.  Even the ultra-light BOPs can handle 5 mph.  The Raperes like less than 2 mph.  I also have some new dual line kites I have acquired that I want to try out (Saber 2, Solus and Aura) if the weather is right.

Should I bring my pop up canopy tent?

See you on Saturday,

Doug
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 11:56 AM by Doug S » Logged

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2014, 12:21 PM »

I see KJ lived or does live in Hackensack, NJ - he must know this spot as primary #1 unless the park has renovated a better field - would be surprised. A pop-up is recommended since there is little tree cover ... I always flew after work in the summer as I worked in Orangeburg, NY (10 miles away).

It can get muddy after some rain even the day before but it will be fine on Saturday.

Most times from the SW I flew an UL then to SUL ... back then with Lam's Sea Devils. Sometimes even a Benson IS with v.little winds around 8-9PM in July. Some good memories ...

APJ

Doug S

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 05:10 AM »

Updated NOAA weather prediction for Saturday is partly sunny, with a high near 80 F at 2 pm.  Light and variable winds at 2 to 3 mph in the morning that will shift slowly through the day from north northeast in a clockwise direction to the southeast, while gradually increasing through the day to a high of 9 mph by 5 pm.  I adjusted NOAA's forecast from the zip code to over the Overpeck Park, which is indicating Ridgefield Park, NJ.  The following provides the link.  If you click on the Hourly Weather Chart on the lower right, you will see the hourly chart for the above information.  Through the day, NOAA updates their weather information.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-74.01014&lat=40.85825

Looks like a great day for a wide range of kites.  ; D  Will try to get to the park by 10 am.

Later,

Doug
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 05:17 AM by Doug S » Logged

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 07:49 AM »

The NEW Overpeck Park Area III Ridgefield Park, NJ (Near the Amphitheater)

Incredible field with ~10-12 people flying. I recently bought a new computer and my camera a Canon Sure Shot S2 IS has an error message - needs a USB 3.0 port ... will call Canon tomorrow and post some pics shortly TO SEE IF THIS OLD CAMERA WORKS ... IT COULD JUST BE THE USB CABLE FROM CAMERA TO NEW COMPUTER ... bottom line ... I found a new field ALMOST like the Beach ... 40 acres ... SMOOTH ... SUL conditions ... continuously ... great place for an AKA event. Unquestionably ... rest rooms, hotel adjacent to the field, etc ... this is the best INLAND field I ever flew on ... although I don't travel to kite events outside of NJ. BETTER THEAN LIBERTY SP??? ... YES! I DID NOT SAY IT HAS A BETTER BACKDROP  Cheesy. WHY? Perfect winds from the N,E & S. Not sure of West? Maybe a little choppy ... ? Will post pics ASAP.

APJ
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 06:58 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 05:53 PM »

Overpeck Fun Fly

https://www.flickr.com/photos/apj1/

The other pics are a Transformer TL currently in the Swap & Sales section.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:48 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change