GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 10:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Organic: Well Worth A Second Look ! ! !  (Read 911 times)
photogbill
Trade Count: (+2)

« on: July 13, 2014, 01:17 PM »

I know it might sound trite but I think I just may have re-discovered 'The Perect Kite' ....well ...at least for me, anyway!

First a little history! I discovered the plans for Christian Dérefat's Organic ...or L'Organic as it is also called ....over 5 years ago and decided to build one ...which turned into 4 builds! The first one, I'm extremely embarrassed to say seems to have mysteriously disappeared. I have only the vaguest idea of what might have happened to it. Best I can come up with is that I must have left it on the flying field after a day of flying somewhere. (I know ...I'm an idiot!  Embarrassed  )

The 2nd and 3rd were built simultaneously! A new one for myself and a requested one for a kite buddy who offered to pay for the build. Those two were a couple of the best looking kites I had ever built to date ...and still are beauties, IMO.

The 4th and most recent one took me more than 5 years to finish, which I did a little over a week ago! I had it 1/2 built for a number of years and stopped work on it until recently making some progress on it while working on a couple of new builds ...my 85% 6th Senses. Why did it take me so long to complete it? One ...my gracious good friend, who I was building it for wasn't in any hurry for it to be completed and it gave him great pleasure in razzing me from time to time about it's still not being finished. Also, that same friend had been the recipient of several other new builds that I have successfully completed since.

But the biggest factor in my delay was that I had flown mine (the #2 build) only once or twice after completion...and gave it a seriously flawed analysis that it was lacking in performance, somehow! Over the years, I couldn't remember even what it was I didn't like about it's flight abilities ...and/or lack thereof.
A few weeks ago, after being reminded by a post here on the forum from others about how re-visiting and re-flying an 'old' kite had left them with an all new opinion of that kite ...from the one they had initially ...and thankfully, I decided to give my Organic a 'Second Look'!

To my surprise and great delight ....I couldn't discover anything that had previously turned me off to the kite! In fact, I couldn't find anything wrong with the way the Organic flew at all! NOTHING! I was amazed at how much I liked the way it flew! It motivated me to go ahead and finish that 4th Organic build that I had put off completing for so long ...and to my friends delight, I finished the build last week!

So WHY do I now feel that the Organic is the "Perfect Kite" ...for me anyway? Whether my initial analysis was due to a bad kite flying day, poor wind conditions, or more likely my now-improved kite flying abilities ...as lacking as they might be ...I can't find anything I don't like about flying this kite! My recent kite builds of the 6th Senses (full and 85%ers) and Invictus' were/are great fun to fly, with many positive attributes and I enjoy flying both of those kite models. I don't mean to take anything away from their performance at all but there is just something about my Organic that I connect with better than any kite I have ever flown!

After a couple more trips to the beach with my Organic ...the last being with it reframed as an UL for experiment (after needing to scavenge it's standard framing due to a shortage of kite parts, so I could finally complete that 4th Organic) ...I had a hard time flying anything else in my kite bag ...even after comparative flying of a couple of my old "favorite kites" in the same wind ...my R-Sky Manga and my designer built Mohawk XS!

I reframed the Organic with P1X ULE, P2X LLE, P2X Spine, 3PT LS rods, and 2100 TS rod ...and 18 gram ...for starters tail weight as an UL model! This configuration brought what was a great flying kite as a standard ...into a whole other realm. The wind range seems to be phenomenal, at least at first impressions. The kite does everything I tried and know how to do with precision, grace, and ease! Where many other kites I've owned and flew were either a bit too strong or too light on the lines, the Organic seems to strike a perfect balance of feel feedback and execution of tricks!

What tricks? It JLs IMO better than anything I have ever flown ...and that is saying a lot. I can do JLs, which is my favorite trick, with all of my current kites ...some more easily ...and more gracefully than others ...but none better than the Organic! JLs with my Organic are EXTREMELY forgivable to less than perfect inputs and when done perfectly are like watching a Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dance routine (for those old geysers like myself that remember). IT holds a fade ...and a turtle EXTREMLY well and STABLY ...almost daring you to see how long it will hold them. Backspins are stupid easy. Multi-lazies are the same. Cascades are there. Gorgeous and flat tax machines ...with gorgeous double rotations there on occasion. Flick-flacks or over rotated flick-flacks ... even roll-ups are easily done! The kite flies well when rolled up and I imagine multiple roll-ups will be easily done in better flying hands than mine. Flap Jacks ...cake. Quick spin stall landings into a tip stand are easy enough to be illegal. Tried a yo-fade a couple times but wasn't able to get a full roll-up back into a fade with the UL framing, although they were stupid easy with the standard framing Organic and enough tail weight (approx 30 grams). I suspect a little more effort on my part and/or bumping the weight up a few grams will help that on the UL. I didn't think to try a coin toss but with everything else it does, I don't imagine they will be a problem. I haven't learned to do a Comet yet but would be anxious to see someone who has ....try one out on my Organic!

Well, If I haven't bored you to death yet ...and haven't convinced you that I have lost my mind completely ...and you are still reading this post ...I'd encourage the other 'builders' on this site to give the Organic a "Second Look' if you have never built one before. I'd be happy to share my additional measurements and specs to any one that is interested in building one or tweaking theirs.

P.S. Can a moderator please post a picture of the 3 photos I linked to so other members don't have to click a link to see them? I can't figure out how to post the images with Flikr's new photo sharing features!
^I figured it out by accident!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:36 PM by photogbill » Logged
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:00 PM »

You'll have to call IT support for posting Flikr photos.

We merely moderate.  Roll Eyes

P.S. I can barely remember how to get Picasa photos in here.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
photogbill

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03 PM »

You'll have to call IT support for posting Flikr photos.

We merely moderate.  Roll Eyes

P.S. I can barely remember how to get Picasa photos in here.

Thanks anyway John!

It wasn't that long ago that I could do it easily! Don't know why they made the changes to their site but it kinda pisses me off that they did!
Frazer
Trade Count: (+11)

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 02:05 PM »

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:13 PM by Frazer » Logged
kite_pilot
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 02:11 PM »

are "Christian kites" still made by him please ?

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
photogbill

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 02:11 PM »

Thanks Frazer! Wink

Just so readers will know! The red, black & white one was the lost one! The red, white, & blue one was the 4th build! The black, white, & grey with red wingtips, the 3rd! And the black, white, purple, & grey one mine, #2 build. I really liked the BWG with red wingtips that was built for a friend a lot. I almost kept that one for myself initially and will probably build another in that color combo ...with perhaps a slightly larger red wingtip panel!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 02:18 PM by photogbill » Logged
photogbill

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 02:13 PM »

Maybe Krijn or others will be able to answer your question. I know that the Organic and several other build plans have been available for years ...over 5 for the Organic!
kite_pilot

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 02:38 PM »

whats the wind range for these kites please ?

smooth,peaceful winds! Smiley,in the bag so far a black/orange skyburner pro dancer,prism 4d, Smiley
photogbill

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 02:46 PM »

whats the wind range for these kites please ?

Since I misplaced/lost my wind meter I can't give you an accurate range for the UL I am now flying but my best guess ...based on my wind guess-ta-mate yesterday ...would be somewhere around 3-4 mph to 10-12 mph without any risk to the kite! It's a nice and full sail area in a high aspect ratio kite which allows for a nice wide wind range.
kite_pilot

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 03:53 PM »

will you be making more and sell them please?,if so how much ?

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 04:33 PM »

Very attractive panel design and color combinations.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
photogbill

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 04:52 PM »

will you be making more and sell them please?,if so how much ?

I'm flattered by the request but I made the decision a long time ago that my kite-making 'skills' were best saved as a 'labor of love' ...so to speak. I make kites for myself and close friends alone. No stress ...no time tables ...no need for discounts or apologies for the inevitable imperfections in my kite-making skills or lack thereof! I couldn't even tell you the exact amount of methodical time I spend on each build because I don't time myself for the hours I put into them. If I did ...I'd probably never make another kite!  Shocked

I think there might be a few kite builders on the forum that have better kite-building skills/techniques ...and that are more time efficient ...at least equally talented, if not more-so than I am ...that might be persuaded into building you one!

My better advise is for you to take a stab at building one yourself! The experience will enrich your appreciation for the sport and for those that design and build custom and boutique kites! It will also be a rewarding endeavor and learning experience! You don't have to go out and buy an expensive sewing machine. I use a modestly priced Brother machine that I bought from Walmart. The cost of the machine and all the materials will probably be less than what you would pay for a high quality boutique kite and you should have some extra fabric and a sewing machine left over for future use! Give it a try. It's not as hard as what it may seem at first glance. Those of us who have will be more than happy to share whatever advise you need for the project!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:00 PM by photogbill » Logged
photogbill

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 05:09 PM »

Very attractive panel design and color combinations.  Smiley

Thanks John! I like to think I have a good 'eye' for design and graphics! The asymmetrical black, white, grey, & charcoal (forgot to mention that color panel previously) with the red wing tips looks better in person where you can see the slight variation in color between the black and the charcoal! I might go with a grey and charcoal instead of the black and charcoal for a future build. I haven't fully decided yet! I am also considering an asymmetrical black, white, grey and red combo slightly different than my original 'lost' build! 

Here is a photo of it:

P.S. I can't take any credit for the sharp looking panel design. That was already done for us by Christian Dérefat!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:32 PM by photogbill » Logged
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2014, 06:51 AM »

Maybe Krijn or others will be able to answer your question. I know that the Organic and several other build plans have been available for years ...over 5 for the Organic!

christian's latest designs were all open source: vortex, quartz, organic (,monster)
but you can always ask him to build you a sail or kite, his sewing is impeccable!

Krijn
Krijn
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2014, 06:59 AM »

The Organic is mainly a Quartz.
The Trailing Edge is a bit higher so the wings are a bit more slender.

The kite excels in fast Yoyo's, Yofades and CrazyCopters.
Multilazies are not that nice and the precision is even worse. But is was designed for freestyle!
It is a really big-fun-kite.

I owned one. Sew by Christian himself:

I also made a movie, but my flying was not as polished as it is nowadays, I'll show it anyway:
https://vimeo.com/12119415

Krijn
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change