GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 09:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Astral Glide Inquiry (Top Tension Line Replacement)  (Read 1123 times)
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« on: July 14, 2014, 11:23 AM »

The top tension line broke on my Astral Glide from Premier - the recommend HEIGHT settings are 7" (measurement from line to kite body) top (this line that broke) and the bottom tension line height 4" as a standard setting. Anyway tieing the broken knot with a square knot and applying tension will not work as the knot gets in the way and I only get 4" high before the tension device hits the knot ... to replace this line what line would you recommend - I was just thinking using 50# kite line ... any thoughts from you expert kite builders/repair enthusiasts?

APJ
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:53 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:55 AM »

i would use the 50# line...it will be fine....no worries!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
JimNZ
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 03:44 PM »

You might want to check out those recommendations for top an bottom tension, too.  You need to adapt it to the conditions, more bowing in more wind, less in light wind, but it's also the case that with most kites the greater bowing is at the bottom, not the top.  I can't remember what I use on my Astral Glide, but in any case, Premier Kites often have wrong information in their instructions.  I seem to recall Ron Gibian (designer of the Astral Glide) commenting once that Premier had this one all wrong.

Jim
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:43 AM »

I have flown it only four times - I don't remember exactly his instructions on the bowing depths for top and bottom but the ONE critical element Ron did discuss with me is to make sure that central spine rod is v.slightly bent or bowed (if you will) and not just straight - Premier had NOTHING of this recommendation in the instructions - it flew great after that - it was a CRITICAL assembly recommendation - yes more bow with more wind - but not enough experience of the fine tuning of top and bottom measurements.

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
JimNZ

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:09 PM »

How do you ensure the spine is bowed?  As you say, there is nothing about this in Premier's instructions, which are often sadly lacking in details like that.

Jim
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 03:38 PM »

As per Ron Gilian place the top of the central spine in first then the bottom of the central spine is pushed FORWARD until it bows slightly (entire central spine) then SECURE the bottom flap which holds this central spine in this bowed position. The 7" top bow and 4" bottom bow are in the directions - but as you say experimentation is required other than more wind more tension (bow) - obviously. Remember - the key point according to Ron there must be good tension in the central spine - this bowing of the central spine is minor of course.

APJ
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 03:40 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

JimNZ

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:12 PM »

Thanks for the advice.  I've always tightened the spine well, and the kite has had no problems, but I'll keep an extra sharp eye on the tension from now on.  It's a good kite!

Jim
asburyparkjohn

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:08 AM »

Update

On the Premier model and I guess? also on the Gibian model I found these three helpful hints:

1. Use a swivel at the bridle point connection as this kite likes to turn at the bridle point connection.

2. Keep the top and lower spreader bow heights - EQUIVALNET. Not 7" top/4" bottom as per directions. More stable IMO.

3. Tension the central spine - see this thread.

4. I use 50# test line. It likes 4-10 mph.

When possible buy the ORIGINAL  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

APJ

thief

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 05:23 AM »

i have found that the astral glide(s) -all sizes and make - like to wiggle a little.....unless you have the cleanest wind possible they will dance a bit......

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 11:58 AM »

Its a fun kite but not for a crowded beach - they need constant monitoring - unlike a fly and stick in the sky type kite like the Ghost Delta - as an example. But OK if there are just a dozen people downwind. If the wind cranks up all of sudden they could dive HARD down left and right if you are not around like at the restroom or in the ocean on a swim break. But stable enough if you are there to monitor. They wiggle. Maybe next year I will upgrade to the real deal - Gibian product. Its a classic design.

thief

« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 01:30 PM »

John...maybe i can help you with that.....i have a small Astral Glide from Ron, that has been relegated to living on he wall for too long....

asburyparkjohn

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 05:01 PM »

OK. Second week of August send me the price desired and your PayPal information.

BTW talked to Brasington and we worked on a deal on a used gold gothic cathedral. In route.

With a tube tail.

APJ

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum