GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 03:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Widowmaker adjustment  (Read 780 times)
ofted42
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 14, 2014, 06:44 PM »

Hello all, first time poster, long time reader.  I recently took the plunge and picked up my first serious kite, a skyburner widowmaker.  I've heard a ton of good things about this kite and couldn't wait to try it when it arrived on Saturday.  Due to other circumstances, today was the first day I had a chance to take it out.  Wind was probably around 4-6 mph, which is light, but I've seen widowmakers fly fairly well light winds.  I noticed a few things once I got it airborne.

• when the wind would lighten up then catch the kite again, it would do a sort of "bounce" or "pulse" on the lines, like it was catching and losing the wind.  Kind of a light jerky pull over and over. Never had my quantum do that, so I figured it might be adjusted for heavier winds
  • After moving the nose toward me by moving the bridle knot up about 1/2" it helped, but still seemed very passive and bouncy
  • I'd heard so much about the responsiveness of the widowmaker I was surprised when all I could get were very slow lazy turns no matter how aggressive I tried to make them.  My Quantum will turn on a dime.
  • I seem to have a big problem with oversteer.  I thought maybe it was the quantum, but the widowmaker was doing it too. I'll try and do a snap stall and it just keeps rotating.  Worse when I try and do a turn at the edge of the window for a side slide, it overrotates and ends up going back the way it originally was.  Seems to do it no matter how much I snap the opposite direction.  That one's on me, but I figured the widowmaker would at least help

Since the wind was low I'll wait and see, but it didn't feel much different than my Quantum so far.  In fact, dare I say it, I like how my Quantum feels better out of the two right now. 

The point of all this is, any pointers on bridle adjustment, etc. would be much appreciated.  The bouncing, jerking motion was very odd, almost like it was unstable in the air.  I'm sure this'll be a great kite once I get used to it, but so far I'm somewhat stumped.

Thanks

« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 06:58 PM by ofted42 » Logged
missionview

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 07:33 PM »

I suggest contacting Jon at Skyburner Kites / Kites and Fun Things.

Robert
wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 09:44 PM »

Welcome to the Forum.

You bought a great kite!!  Did you buy new or used?  If used the adjustments could be off.

Are you sure that you have it assembled correctly? 

How steady was the wind you were flying in.  If the wind is not steady it can be hard to fly smoothly and strange things can happen.  I have the Widow Maker UL and have not experienced any traits you mention.

Jon @ Kites and Fun Things (Skyburner Kites) is very helpful and could help you without question.

If assembly is correct and adjustments checkout okay, you just need to go out and fly it and get used to it.  It is a High Performance kite and will have different characteristicsts than your other kite.

ofted42

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 04:31 AM »

Bought this one new.  There are white marks on the bridle which are the default settings, so I assume it was set up correctly.  Just was exhibiting some very odd behavior in the lighter wind.  I'll have to try it when there's a bit more and see how it feels, if it still does the bouncy thing I'll contact them at Skyburner.  Thanks
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 04:34 AM »

It does kinda sound like something's wrong. My Widow Maker flew perfectly right out of the bag, and I have never had to adjust it... not once. For a standard kite, it has a surprising low end wind range, and the wind speed you are describing shouldn't have been a problem. Maybe the wind you were flying in was swirly & variable ? I would double check to see that the kite is setup properly, visually measure the bridle, making sure the right & left are even. The bridle on my Solus was off, and caused erratic behavior.
As a previous poster mentioned, give Mr. T. a call and discuss it with him. I have flown a lot of kites, and the Widow Maker is one of the best I've even flown, I couldn't even compare it to my Quantum, they're not even in the same bag...   Cheesy

Captainbob

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2014, 06:15 AM »

Did you remove the tail weight?

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2014, 07:10 AM »

Bouncy wind is not the fault of the Widow Maker...  When adjusting the bridle.  The pig tail lines... When you move the bridle up you loose wind.  Down you get more pull and wind.  100' lines #100... check.  You can fly that std. in low wind, but she luvs 5 mph... she can dance nicely in 7-10mph.

The Widow Maker does not have over steer.  She will track on a dime.  Give your self a few days with her.  I have said in previous post I have five Widow Makers.  I practice nice sharp square turns and straight lines.  My videos show the kites ability and I am not that good of a pilot.  Give yourself that extra time to let her fly...

When I first started flying my Solus I thought I'd cry.. Nothing worked.. Then I let myself feel the kite for a while and everything started to work.  I then flew my WM feeling the differences in inputs and slack... I have never flown a Quantum but I am sure I'd have trouble.  Also on checking bridle.  Make sure you have the lines under the lower spreader..

You be posting the love for her soon...

p.s.-  There is a point of low wind when she will just sit down... That is when a Ul is needed.  But make no doubt about it... My girls call it quits when the wind drops.  Then I get their sister out.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 07:13 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
jon t

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2014, 07:37 AM »

Obviously something is not right.  We are hoping that the Widow Maker is sent back to us so that we can see what the problem may be.  It could be a bridle issue.  We fully stand behind our products and want our customers happy.  We've been manufacturing Sky Burner Kites for over 25 years and sometimes things happen but we always fix our mistakes.  So, we hope that you send it back so we can go over it, fix it and get it back to you as quickly as possible so you are back up and flying. 
Jon
stapp59

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2014, 08:43 AM »

Why buying a Skyburner is a good decision.

Obviously something is not right.  We are hoping that the Widow Maker is sent back to us so that we can see what the problem may be.  It could be a bridle issue.  We fully stand behind our products and want our customers happy.  We've been manufacturing Sky Burner Kites for over 25 years and sometimes things happen but we always fix our mistakes.  So, we hope that you send it back so we can go over it, fix it and get it back to you as quickly as possible so you are back up and flying. 
Jon

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
ofted42

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 08:53 AM »

Already got an e-mail response from Jon, really fast response time.  I wanted to clarify that my intention here wasn't to knock the kite, I figured either something was out of adjustment or I was doing something wrong and thought maybe there was an easy check before I went back to Skyburner with it.  The construction is unbelievable and based on all the reviews I'm sure it'll be fantastic once I figure it out.  Working with Jon now to see if there are any adjustments I can measure before I send it back so we can avoid that.  It's already worth the purchase to me after seeing the great customer service.  There were already people asking what it was yesterday and I pointed them to the website, these are the types of businesses we need to keep around.

Thanks for all the replies, and especially from you Jon.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2014, 07:27 PM »

Love my Widowmakers, all of them. Smiley  One of the best kites on the market.  Jon and Marianne are so awesome that anything that is said is an understatement. Smiley  They'll get you sorted out for sure.

wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 09:49 PM »

That is customer service!!!!   Your post in no way was criticizing the kite.   Your in good hands now....

Love my Skyburner kites!!
stapp59

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2014, 04:27 AM »

Do post once you find out the issue.

Steve in Indiana
My kites: http://picasaweb.google.com/stapp59
vertigo2u

« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2014, 05:16 AM »

Interesting thought... If all kites were the same.  Within a small margin of each other.  The only thing then is Customer service.  All of us who know Jon and Marianne know what real customer service is.  I have not broken a lot of carbon rods.  But everyone I have broken has been fixed by Jon for Free.  It helps living about 45 minutes from the shop, but that is not the issue.  I walk in he stop's what he is doing and fixes what is broken, we talk for a while and that's it.
I have offered the same advise for years.  If your troubled about your kite or any kite...

Buying American means you can call him direct and get an answer.   

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Captainbob

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2014, 06:13 AM »

I just got a new Freestylist UL yesterday from Skyburner. Took it out of the box, set the kite up, all in about 5 minutes, and took it to the field. Flying it was fantastic, and I didn't touch a thing on it other than assembling the Leading edges and tensioning the wingtips. Skyburner knows how to build a great flying kite.

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document