GWTW Forum
November 23, 2014, 04:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyburner Freestylist UL Pilots  (Read 3456 times)
np
Trade Count: (+26)

« on: July 16, 2014, 04:31 PM »

I had a recent opportunity to fly a Freestylist UL. It is a very nice kite as is ALL Skyburner Kites.

I have been doing the Jacob's Ladder for a long time now on both Standard and UL kites. I should be able to transfer my inputs ( with some slight variances) to the Freestylist UL.

It goes into a fade from a broken Axel very easy. Pancake to Fade with no problem. It will hold a great fade. At first I experienced a bit of trouble doing the lateral roll-out until I discovered it likes a pop straight back rather than a outward (away from body) type move. Next I couldn't get a half lazy to save my life. I tried a light straight back pop move and it didn't work very good for me at all. I didn't get a chance to try a smooth steady pull to (coax) it around into the half lazy. Any help would be appreciated to speed the process up a bit. So, what is the best way to get the half lazy? We added a pair of special made "leader lines" to help the bridle lay down on the lower spreaders a bit faster. The leader lines seemed to help for sure. We also tried moving the stand-offs to a different position, but I didn't notice much difference.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:20 PM »

Not sure if this will help or not, but with the UL I found that when I put it into the turtle, it drops into the turtle ok but I need to give it just a bit more slack for it to drop the nose down into a very deep turtle, once there a steady draw backwards and it rolls right around.  The UL likes to have a lot more smooth coaxing as compared to the standards which like to get slammed around a bit more rough. Smiley

Hope that helps.

np

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 05:41 PM »

Not sure if this will help or not, but with the UL I found that when I put it into the turtle, it drops into the turtle ok but I need to give it just a bit more slack for it to drop the nose down into a very deep turtle, once there a steady draw backwards and it rolls right around.  The UL likes to have a lot more smooth coaxing as compared to the standards which like to get slammed around a bit more rough. Smiley
Hope that helps.
I will give this deep turtle (more slack) and steady draw backwards a try in a couple weeks. This was not my kite, but my first hands on with it.
wagsboyz

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 08:47 PM »

In order to do that I might have to move forward...   I seem to be "move forward challenged".. 

slack, slack, slack....  Move forward to get more slack....... Sad
(Just part of my practice)

slack, slack, slack....  Move forward to get more slack....... Grin

Eventually it will sink in.....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:54 PM by wagsboyz » Logged
np

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:21 PM »

I seem to be "move forward challenged".. 
I think most everybody is challenged in this way in the Beginning stages.
Eventually it will sink in.....
It will have to, especially if you plan on doing tricks.  Cheesy  Wink
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 11:11 PM »

My 2 cents. Same as gamelord. For me small movement forward with hands or feet and then a slow steady pull for the lazy.
np

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 04:22 PM »

This past weekend I had the fortunate oportunity to get some much needed help from a fellow flyer and I am very greatful for the help.  I was successful in doing my first Jacobs Ladder with it and now I better undertand what it takes to trick.  SLack, slack, slack...  I need to move foward to get slack....
I have a goal set for myself: It is helping you do two or more JL's starting from the fade position. Yes, you have done your first JL. Now with Kent and Wayner's help (how to better get the half lazy) you should be ready to show them to me Aug 15th & 16th. Then I am going to get you doing multiple AVFFF'S. JL.....Remember for the lateral roll-out: Straight back pop.....when you see the spine is vertical.....pop both hands with a step forward to set in turtle position......smooth pull to a half-lazy......pop back to fade......Does this make sense?
wagsboyz

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2014, 05:46 PM »

It was a day for the Gemini Std...   Series of 3 JLs the first 2 were pretty quick and the third one kept falling out of the fade But got it (glad it didn't come down as it would have been in the parking lot).. Got several other singles but the lateral roll out was a bit erratic.. 

I even got a couple with my Elixir...  No UL flying today...   Real bumpy higher winds from 8:30am till 4:00..  Still a good day

Hoping for light winds tomorrow....

What does AVFFF stand for?Huh    I have been able to pop from the fade and get rolled up but I'm unsure of the unroll..   Probably has more to do with moving forward huh..  Embarrassed

I should mention that I was having difficulty until I remembered the leaders you left me and again They Helped.. Shocked
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:02 PM by wagsboyz » Logged
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13 PM »

American Version French Flic Flac, I think.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
np

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 06:27 PM »

It was a day for the Gemini Std...   Series of 3 JLs the first 2 were pretty quick and the third one kept falling out of the fade But got it (glad it didn't come down as it would have been in the parking lot).. Got several other singles but the lateral roll out was a bit erratic.. 
Glad you got your JL's even if it was on the Gemini. Now to transfer inputs (which will vary) to the Freestylist UL when the wind cooporates.
I have been able to pop from the fade and get rolled up but I'm unsure of the unroll.
To do a Yo Yo (roll-up) from the fade, you first have to do a lateral roll out and......then pop both lines with enough slack to roll and catch the yo yo stoppers.
If you are popping from the fade (the nose must be going under) and when the nose rotates to where it is pointing back towards you, it is an AVFFF.
[/quote]
I should mention that I was having difficulty until I remembered the leaders you left me and again They Helped.. Shocked
What did the "special" Leader Lines help with on the Gemini?
What does AVFFF stand for?Huh

American Version French Flic Flac, I think.
What SparkieRob said.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:38 PM by np » Logged
wagsboyz

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 10:03 PM »

During the lateral roll out after the pop to turtle the leaders are very visible and  they gave me an opportunity to tend the lines and reduce the chaces of the line tip wrapping.  As you said the lines need to lay down on the lower spreaders and with the leaders I can see them clearly and they seem to add some weight to help drape the lines on the spreaders.

Horrible wind day today, real bumpy but I went with practice in mind and that is what I did.  I also worked on moving forward n different ways.

I worked on verticle dives with pancake landings and then worked on timing to pancake prior to the ground (inches) and pop into fade.  By the end of the day I was doing verticle dives and pancake to fade 2-3 feet off the ground.  I even had one work out into rising fade which I transitioned into the Jacobs Ladder and just missed ending it but still flew away, final fade spun out.

I listened and I am not just fading from broken axles and I worked evenly on both sides of the window and around the center.  I am understanding forward movement and when and where it works.  I spent an hour or so just producing slack away from the edges.  Oh yea forgot to mention that my keeping my hands down to my sides gives me alot more line fore and aft movement and helps to get slack quicker than I can move my nailed down feet. ( I know it was what you were telling me)  You were right.  I concentrated on flying that way all day as to start a new habit and make it second nature.

Thanks Norm,  you have given me a new found excitement for flying and I see great things ahead.  Pilot skill is developing everytime I go to the field and it's blast.  I have thinned out the bag and am only taking 5-6 kites with me and only what I might need to practice.

np

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2014, 04:19 PM »

I worked on verticle dives with pancake landings and then worked on timing to pancake prior to the ground (inches) and pop into fade.  By the end of the day I was doing verticle dives and pancake to fade 2-3 feet off the ground.  I even had one work out into rising fade which I transitioned into the Jacobs Ladder and just missed ending it but still flew away, final fade spun out.

I listened and I am not just fading from broken axles and I worked evenly on both sides of the window and around the center.  I am understanding forward movement and when and where it works.  I spent an hour or so just producing slack away from the edges.  Oh yea forgot to mention that my keeping my hands down to my sides gives me alot more line fore and aft movement and helps to get slack quicker than I can move my nailed down feet. ( I know it was what you were telling me)  You were right.  I concentrated on flying that way all day as to start a new habit and make it second nature.
Sounds like you're working on all the right things. After you get the fade try to hold and manage it for a while. Of course, providing the winds are in your favor. Maybe the Gemini will end up being your JL MONSTER.  Grin
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 01:49 PM »

Hope that helps.

Seconded. Usually some of the 'older' skyburner kites, especially the Delta Drive, need to sit into a turtle and they take a bit to settle back. When they're back, they're back. The Aura is also like this in that respect.

Did you get to fly it again and try out some different inputs?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
wagsboyz

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21 PM »

I'm working on trying to get it to sit further back but our wind is Std. range currently.  Hoping for less wind soon....

I can get the JL but being a newbie it isn't automatic yet.
np

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 08:02 AM »

I can get the JL but being a newbie it isn't automatic yet.
Jon........It's hard for me to believe you had never done a Jacob's Ladder before we first met a couple week-ends ago.  Huh You caught on quick. Once you show me two rotations of the JL and you earn your first pair of split-finger (ninja's) you'll be in "AUTO" mod for the Jacob's Ladder. They will change the way you fly. You're going to love this trick. Then you can learn to reverse them. I'm still perfecting my reversing JL's. I'm hoping to get you doing the AVFFF on my next trip down. I don't think it will take YOU long to learn it. How's the weather been in "T.O."?  Cheesy
Pages: [1] 2 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum