GWTW Forum
May 03, 2016, 05:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Skyburner Freestylist UL Pilots  (Read 8740 times)
np
Trade Count: (+29)

« on: July 16, 2014, 04:31 PM »

Smiley
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 12:21 PM by np » Logged
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 05:20 PM »

Not sure if this will help or not, but with the UL I found that when I put it into the turtle, it drops into the turtle ok but I need to give it just a bit more slack for it to drop the nose down into a very deep turtle, once there a steady draw backwards and it rolls right around.  The UL likes to have a lot more smooth coaxing as compared to the standards which like to get slammed around a bit more rough. Smiley

Hope that helps.

wagsboyz
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 08:47 PM »

In order to do that I might have to move forward...   I seem to be "move forward challenged".. 

slack, slack, slack....  Move forward to get more slack....... Sad
(Just part of my practice)

slack, slack, slack....  Move forward to get more slack....... Grin

Eventually it will sink in.....
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 08:54 PM by wagsboyz » Logged
Wayner
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 11:11 PM »

My 2 cents. Same as gamelord. For me small movement forward with hands or feet and then a slow steady pull for the lazy.
wagsboyz

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2014, 05:46 PM »

It was a day for the Gemini Std...   Series of 3 JLs the first 2 were pretty quick and the third one kept falling out of the fade But got it (glad it didn't come down as it would have been in the parking lot).. Got several other singles but the lateral roll out was a bit erratic.. 

I even got a couple with my Elixir...  No UL flying today...   Real bumpy higher winds from 8:30am till 4:00..  Still a good day

Hoping for light winds tomorrow....

What does AVFFF stand for?Huh    I have been able to pop from the fade and get rolled up but I'm unsure of the unroll..   Probably has more to do with moving forward huh..  Embarrassed

I should mention that I was having difficulty until I remembered the leaders you left me and again They Helped.. Shocked
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:02 PM by wagsboyz » Logged
SparkieRob
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2014, 06:13 PM »

American Version French Flic Flac, I think.

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
wagsboyz

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 10:03 PM »

During the lateral roll out after the pop to turtle the leaders are very visible and  they gave me an opportunity to tend the lines and reduce the chaces of the line tip wrapping.  As you said the lines need to lay down on the lower spreaders and with the leaders I can see them clearly and they seem to add some weight to help drape the lines on the spreaders.

Horrible wind day today, real bumpy but I went with practice in mind and that is what I did.  I also worked on moving forward n different ways.

I worked on verticle dives with pancake landings and then worked on timing to pancake prior to the ground (inches) and pop into fade.  By the end of the day I was doing verticle dives and pancake to fade 2-3 feet off the ground.  I even had one work out into rising fade which I transitioned into the Jacobs Ladder and just missed ending it but still flew away, final fade spun out.

I listened and I am not just fading from broken axles and I worked evenly on both sides of the window and around the center.  I am understanding forward movement and when and where it works.  I spent an hour or so just producing slack away from the edges.  Oh yea forgot to mention that my keeping my hands down to my sides gives me alot more line fore and aft movement and helps to get slack quicker than I can move my nailed down feet. ( I know it was what you were telling me)  You were right.  I concentrated on flying that way all day as to start a new habit and make it second nature.

Thanks Norm,  you have given me a new found excitement for flying and I see great things ahead.  Pilot skill is developing everytime I go to the field and it's blast.  I have thinned out the bag and am only taking 5-6 kites with me and only what I might need to practice.

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2014, 01:49 PM »

Not sure if this will help or not, but with the UL I found that when I put it into the turtle, it drops into the turtle ok but I need to give it just a bit more slack for it to drop the nose down into a very deep turtle, once there a steady draw backwards and it rolls right around.  The UL likes to have a lot more smooth coaxing as compared to the standards which like to get slammed around a bit more rough. Smiley

Hope that helps.

Seconded. Usually some of the 'older' skyburner kites, especially the Delta Drive, need to sit into a turtle and they take a bit to settle back. When they're back, they're back. The Aura is also like this in that respect.

Did you get to fly it again and try out some different inputs?

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
wagsboyz

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 10:21 PM »

I'm working on trying to get it to sit further back but our wind is Std. range currently.  Hoping for less wind soon....

I can get the JL but being a newbie it isn't automatic yet.
wagsboyz

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 10:11 PM »

Weather is good but the wind has been up.  No UL flying but hopefully this weekend will settle down.  I am anxious to get back to working on the JL and I think l might have a better chance with the UL's in light wind over the Std in higher bumpy winds.

I am becoming more solid with my control and entering positions in different ways.  I was impressed with the multitude of ways you enter positions and how the smoothness adds to the flow of tricks.  So that is what I'm working on it makes a big difference and looks great when smooth. 

I look forward to flying with the Famous Norms straps soon...  I've already gotten rid of all my BOAS....Compared to the finger straps they don't provide much in the way of control.

wagsboyz

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2014, 08:24 PM »

You inspired me to fly in a totally different way than I had flown.  It was watching you fly and how you did things that I have been looking for in my flying.  Smooth fluid transitions is my aim now that I have seen you do it.  I mentioned before that I was looking for combos but it isn't just combos it is the fluid smooth combos that look good.

The videos that I have seen that I really like are those that flow smooth and effortless which I better understand now.  I havn't really flown with anyone that flys like that until now.  I guess I learn better in person than trying to undertand instruction in a video.

You've created a monster....

Captainbob

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2014, 04:53 PM »

Not into tricking at all, and  this is my first video on an Android phone of my new Freestylist UL, just flying around and having a lot of fun.   Wind around 3 mph. 

http://youtu.be/2fpWdQZ43lw
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 04:55 PM by Captainbob » Logged

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
wagsboyz

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 05:04 PM »

Nice video Bob.  Beautiful kite, like the red!!   
basicbill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2014, 05:58 PM »

Not into tricking at all, and  this is my first video on an Android phone of my new Freestylist UL, just flying around and having a lot of fun.   Wind around 3 mph. 

Nicely done. My kind of flying.

Bill

Captainbob

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 07:17 PM »

Nicely done. My kind of flying.

Bill

I did one with one of my Revs today too. 

http://youtu.be/pRCXr7wu3Ig

AKA Member
Dualies and Revs
Kitebag:
Skyburner Niknak , Freestylist UL,   Premier Widow NG,  Prism Zephyr  4D ,   HQ Symphony 1.8
Revolution SLE,  Revolution B Series mid vent.
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom